Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Please honestly Read this interview thank you

pcinvasion.com/ex-world-of-warcraft-dev-explains-blizzard-vanilla

First post, no explanation, yeah, sounds legit.

The guy who was forced to step down as CEO in the company he went to (red 5? I think?) and was the biggest factor in why Firefall fell? That man is garbage. He has no idea in how anything should ever run/be ran. Look into him before you take anything he says seriously. He's never had good planning for the future in his entire professional career, who'd have thought he supports classic servers? This guy...
    Last edited by Boathouse; 2016-04-20 at 10:55 AM.
    Bleh

Article about Mark Kern, a man who was so overwhelmed with ambitious ideas that he never thought about proper implementation. It was so bad that he was voted out of the company he co-founded (the guys who made Firefall, because that game totally turned out well) for his negligence. Yeah, sounds about right for the crowd asking for vanilla servers.

Aint nobody has time for all the viruses on a website when a person just posts a link to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    Article about Mark Kern, a man who was so overwhelmed with ambitious ideas that he never thought about proper implementation. It was so bad that he was voted out of the company he co-founded (the guys who made Firefall, because that game totally turned out well) for his negligence. Yeah, sounds about right for the crowd asking for vanilla servers.
    But... but he talks about vanilla servers! So he MUST be right!

*snickers sarcastically.*

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    But... but he talks about vanilla servers! So he MUST be right!

*snickers sarcastically.*
    This guy thinking Vanilla servers is a good idea speaks multitudes for how awful it must really be. Sometimes people make me sad.
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by Arzon View Post
    pcinvasion.com/ex-world-of-warcraft-dev-explains-blizzard-vanilla
    The guy should shut the hell up. The last thing Blizzard should do is setup Vanilla servers for a bunch of time-lost players who have their nostalgia glasses turned up to level 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Boathouse View Post
    This guy thinking Vanilla servers is a good idea speaks multitudes for how awful it must really be. Sometimes people make me sad.
    I mean, it could even be a decent idea, I can't really say for sure, but why in the world would anyone think parading this guy's opinion around would be a good idea? The guy is literally famous for making terrible business decisions. What shocks me is just how many people I've debated with about this who think Blizzard either hasn't looked into the financial viability of vanilla servers at all or has done it but is ignoring it because 'they're too proud/it would make the live version look shitty'. In the same breath that they would call Blizz money-grubbing assholes they would assert that not only has Blizzard, a business, seen how successful it would be but they are ignoring that prospect because of pride. Just....all my wot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Hilarious that he thinks 1-2m would come back for vanilla realms when the most popular free realm had 150k active players.
    Right? Their total account number didn't even hit a million and that includes several hundred thousand inactive accounts. The dude is off his rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    I mean, it could even be a decent idea, I can't really say for sure, but why in the world would anyone think parading this guy's opinion around would be a good idea? The guy is literally famous for making terrible business decisions. What shocks me is just how many people I've debated with about this who think Blizzard either hasn't looked into the financial viability of vanilla servers at all or has done it but is ignoring it because 'they're too proud/it would make the live version look shitty'. In the same breath that they would call Blizz money-grubbing assholes they would assert that not only has Blizzard, a business, seen how successful it would be but they are ignoring that prospect because of pride. Just....all my wot.
    Even if you take all that and look past it, take a gander at the post history of some of the people championing the idea. Most of them are complaining about a 14 month content lull while completely ignoring the fact that if they get the classic servers they're fighting so hard for they'll be sitting on a permanent content lull. This whole thing may just be flying over my head and I don't see the appeal...but the logical part of my brain just can't see it. Blizzard didn't become one of the richest game companies in the world by luck, somewhere in that company someone knows exactly what they are doing. Even if WoW is on a rapid unfixable decline, Blizzard as a company is doing nothing but rising with the popularity of Hearthstone and soon Overwatch. Even HotS is growing in the competitive scene rapidly and they are hiring for a new Diablo game.
    Bleh

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    The guy who was forced to step down as CEO in the company he went to (red 5? I think?) and was the biggest factor in why Firefall fell? That man is garbage. He has no idea in how anything should ever run/be ran. Look into him before you take anything he says seriously. He's never had good planning for the future in his entire professional career, who'd have thought he supports classic servers? This guy...
    I am so glad someone pointed this out right away. People give him instant credit for previously working on WoW. They jump on any validation without a second thought.
    I wouldn't mind legacy servers but the last thing we need are opinions from people who aren't really qualified, based on past dealings, to set the tone in this debate.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Hilarious that he thinks 1-2m would come back for vanilla realms when the most popular free realm had 150k active players.
    It's actually far less then that. They had 150k "active" accounts not players. I know several people who played there with 6 or more accounts that would fall into the "active" accounts category

Mark Kern is the appropriate figurehead for Vanilla server proponents. He's every bit of delusional, incompetent and in masterful command of unreflected empty talk for the position.

Deleted
    Even if you take all that and look past it, take a gander at the post history of some of the people championing the idea. Most of them are complaining about a 14 month content lull while completely ignoring the fact that if they get the classic servers they're fighting so hard for they'll be sitting on a permanent content lull.
    No need for that. They can just franchise it out.

I'm not sure what the reflexive opposition to legacy servers is about. Private servers exist already. Blizzard should take a cut in exchange for not prosecuting, which they aren't doing anyway and pour the free money back into retail.

There is no conceivable reason not to do this: it will make them money and has no downside risk.

Yeah I'm not clicking that link. And "please honestly read this interview thank you"; you'd think it'd be like the interview of Osama Bin Laden or something - something sooo important. Grow up guys.

Deleted
    I'm not debating whether or not 1-2m is realistic but come on, don't use Nost as a comparison. It was free, albeit not advertised officially especially in the gaming or mmorpg scene without the official blizzard stamp on it with no promise of quality and known to be an illegal copy. An official Bizzard hosted server properly advertised would gain a lot more players than Nost ever did.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxkz View Post
    I'm not debating whether or not 1-2m is realistic but come on, don't use Nost as a comparison. It was free, albeit not advertised officially especially in the gaming or mmorpg scene without the official blizzard stamp on it with no promise of quality and known to be an illegal copy. An official Bizzard hosted server properly advertised would gain a lot more players than Nost ever did.
    Not only that, but private servers are more hassle than just downloading a free game.

The comments are the best part. They are SO. VERY. THRILLED. that he agrees with them.

And then there's the guy who reckons MMO-Champ is full of trolls working for Blizzard. Ey mon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Not only that, but private servers are more hassle than just downloading a free game.
    Indeed, downloading a torrent and asking people to change realm list as well as registering on a non-blizzard affiliated website is slightly discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    I am so glad someone pointed this out right away. People give him instant credit for previously working on WoW. They jump on any validation without a second thought.
    I wouldn't mind legacy servers but the last thing we need are opinions from people who aren't really qualified, based on past dealings, to set the tone in this debate.
    Someone on Reddit earlier posted about this in a thread and made a pretty funny (yet probably true) statement about this. This guy in particular talking about this topic is something that the higher ups would be sending to each other in an email with a "LOL XD" typed as a subject header. Even if there is a market for it, taking anything this man says seriously is terrifying for a company.
    Bleh