Page 51 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I'm just trying to think about how much money I'd get for my "crap." Note, I've moved several times, each time only taking what fit in my car, so I know this game well.

So, let's start with the car. It's mine, free and clear. It's also 15 years old. I might get two or three thousand for it, but then I'd have to figure out a way to transport myself and my crap for the move. Therefore, assuming I'm moving somewhere that cars are optional, I'd sell it when I got there, not before.

Other crap.
    My desktop. Maybe $150.
    My books. No sale. I've already sold or lost everything I don't need.
    My clothes. No sale. My wardrobe is sparse. Like 10 t-shirts, a few sweaters, a few casual pants, a winter jacket, two fall/spring jackets, socks, shoes, underwear and a suit.
    My music equipment. Possibly $2000. The question then becomes, can I live without my guitars? Nope, so knock that down to $1500.
    My furniture. No clue, mostly random IKEA stuff.
    My roommate. I'll give you money to take her.
    My cat. Nope.
    My grill. $100 maybe.
    My core cooking equipment. Nope. NOPE NOPE NOPE.
    My other cooking equipment. My mother might take it for free, can't see anyone paying.
    And so on.

Also the time involved to dispose of it all. Could have got a part time at the gas station down the street or something meanwhile. Opportunity cost, blah blah.

Just looking around my place, I might be able to get $5000 for my non-necessary crap. Then I'm down to probably $3000 after moving and paying first+last+deposit to rent. And I probably have a place with no furniture. And unless I'm employed by a national corp, I probably don't have a job yet. And...

tl;dr -- Moving is not as easy as people seem to think. I landed in NYC without a job or furniture, but because of the industry I'm in and my experience I landed a job within the day. Not recommended for most people.
    All of that comes after taking a loan.

And about your inventory... if you have 2000$ of music equipment that's 2000$ I didn't have back then, I just walked to my new town with a laptop and a change of clothes.

I'm not saying it easy, being poor never is.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    All of that comes after taking a loan.

And about your inventory... if you have 2000$ of music equipment that's 2000$ I didn't have back then, I just walked to my new town with a laptop and a change of clothes.

I'm not saying it easy, being poor never is.
    Taking a loan is about the dumbest financial decision you can make, unless it's for something like a house and you can pay up beyond the monthly.

The music equipment was accumulated over a number of years. And it's not much, just a nice electric guitar, a great acoustic guitar, a keyboard, an effects box, and cables. Oh, a couple cheap microphones, and an 8 channel mixer. Literally stuff a kid working at a movie theater could gather. Which I was.

The bold: And a debit card loaded with your loan?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

I mean the thing is if it does go up to $15USD than tipping in those industries should really get the boot.

As for costs Maccas will simply crunch the numbers and adjust their expenses accordingly. Likely the will cut down employee numbers and raise the cost of goods.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    As for costs Maccas will simply crunch the numbers and adjust their expenses accordingly. Likely the will cut down employee numbers and raise the cost of goods.
    McD is already in a downward spiral. They've tried everything except fixing the actual problem, which is the quality of the food.

Deleted
    Taking a loan is about the dumbest financial decision you can make, unless it's for something like a house and you can pay up beyond the monthly.
    If that decision sounds doumb, it's because you ain't desperate enough, so quit the whining and leave it to whom actually lived through hardships.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The purchasing power of the dollar needs to increase far more than the min wage in my opinion.

But, Wall Street tumbles whenever the dollar gets stronger since people bet against the country.
    Deflation is very bad news for people with debt.

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    If that decision sounds doumb, it's because you ain't desperate enough, so quit the whining and leave it to whom actually lived through hardships.
    The greatest hardship I've lived through, financially, was because of a loan. We can talk about the several times I've been stabbed or had a gun pulled on me, if you want, those were the harder hardships. Irrelevant to this thread.

McD is already in a downward spiral. They've tried everything except fixing the actual problem, which is the quality of the food.
    Well here in Australia at least they have actually tried that. Like they still have the same old stuff but now they have a whole bunch of new stuff that is somewhat edible now lol.

Has it worked? Nfi. But they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzin View Post
    Well here in Australia at least they have actually tried that. Like they still have the same old stuff but now they have a whole bunch of new stuff that is somewhat edible now lol.

Has it worked? Nfi. But they tried.
    They tried a full range of new stuff here. Certified Angus beef burgers! Still crap. New line of coffee drinks! Fine, but why not my usual coffee joint? The kicker for me was chicken sandwich made with real chicken! One, it's ok. Two, you just shot your product line in the foot -- next time you re-introduce the McRib, will it be actual rib?

Sales are down. The brand is struggling. They're facing extreme competition from both small and large burger joints. Just to name a few in the US, 5 Guys, Smash, Wattaburger, In-n-Out, and others that are widely known. At those places, you might wait a couple minutes longer on your order, but you can watch them cook the damn thing from scratch.

It's the quality, damn it.

They tried a full range of new stuff here. Certified Angus beef burgers! Still crap. New line of coffee drinks! Fine, but why not my usual coffee joint? The kicker for me was chicken sandwich made with real chicken! One, it's ok. Two, you just shot your product line in the foot -- next time you re-introduce the McRib, will it be actual rib?

Sales are down. The brand is struggling. They're facing extreme competition from both small and large burger joints. Just to name a few in the US, 5 Guys, Smash, Wattaburger, In-n-Out, and others that are widely known. At those places, you might wait a couple minutes longer on your order, but you can watch them cook the damn thing from scratch.

It's the quality, damn it.
    Yeah fair enough. As I said they tried lol.

The US I can understand them losing a lot though. The times I have been there you have many, many options for food that is better than Maccas.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    the drop outs, yes
    High school dropouts are still regulated by child labor laws and if over eighteen still have to make a living.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrowAwayForAReason View Post
    Exactly how much would the price of a McDonald's hamburger cost?
    Nominal pricing would probably be a noticeable increase.

Real pricing would be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    High school dropouts are still regulated by child labor laws and if over eighteen still have to make a living.
    To expand on your response, from a restaurant perspective. The people who prefer to work lunch usually have families. They're normal people. The people who close have to be a certain kind of crazy, and are usually drug addicts or have criminal records; doesn't make their work less valuable.

10+ Year Old Account
    To expand on your response, from a restaurant perspective. The people who prefer to work lunch usually have families. They're normal people. The people who close have to be a certain kind of crazy, and are usually drug addicts or have criminal records; doesn't make their work less valuable.
    I think that partly comes with having a whole group of (often attractive due to working on their feet) younger people who all get off work at the same time every night with a pocket full of tips that they can go out and spend and nowhere to be until 3 PM the next day. It tends to lead to a culture of partying after work, usually with alcohol and/or drugs.

At least that's the experience I had with my friends who worked in the food industry while I was in college. Of course now I have a friend who works at Cut (Wolfgang Puck) in Las Vegas, and he's very much a family man. He only works nights because it's better tips.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    At least that's the experience I had with my friends who worked in the food industry while I was in college. Of course now I have a friend who works at Cut (Wolfgang Puck) in Las Vegas, and he's very much a family man. He only works nights because it's better tips.
    Fair. I didn't include all of the categories. Those are the Professionals. Working at a place like that is akin to putting on a suit and going to a meeting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair. I didn't include all of the categories. Those are the Professionals. Working at a place like that is akin to putting on a suit and going to a meeting.
    Yup, describes him well. He said he himself would never eat at Cut. He says it's good, but not so good that it justifies the pricing. He also said Wolfgang Puck is a pretty cool guy, and when he visits the restaurant, he's mostly just geeking out having fun trying to cook interesting things, not freaking out and yelling at the kitchen staff, like TV shows always make executive chefs out to be.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I hope it goes to 15hr it's going to be hilarious when a 16 year old makes the same as an EMS worker
    Why do you people always assume minimum wage workers are all teenagers?

The vast majority are above 20. http://epi.3cdn.net/91fd33f4e013307415_rum6iydua.pdf
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Why do you people always assume minimum wage workers are all teenagers?

The vast majority are above 20. http://epi.3cdn.net/91fd33f4e013307415_rum6iydua.pdf
    If you're working minimum wage as adult you really fucked up in life

Deleted
    You don't need a higher minimum wage, what you need is proper unions that can fuck the companies over if they don't agree to collective wage agreements. We don't even have a minimum wage here in Sweden yet the wages are kept high, thanks to the unions.
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2016-04-20 at 05:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Deflation is very bad news for people with debt.
    Its bad news for the macro economy over all. We've had a massive debt deflation for the past 4 or 5 years and it's stalled economic growth.