Page 52 of 58 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    ours is 120+ a month for 2mbps download.
    I'm wondering what part of Wisconsin this is true in. In the Milwaukee area at least, 50/5 from Time Warner and more or less full TV package runs $120/mo.
    Even in the charter areas, I'd figure it on being less.
    (PM reply is fine by me if you'd rather go that way)

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Yea there is a reason we bought a $124,000 home and not the $300,000 home the bank was more than willing to sell us.

Some people just don't understand the upkeep cost and utility cost when you double or triple your square footage.

We basically opted for the normal size house with upgrades like hardwood flooring, etc etc.
    I hate Augusta. Couldn't pay me to live there unless my only other choice was Macon.

Seriously though hat off to you as the wife and I do the same thing you do. We keep all housing costs under X% etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    You don't need a higher minimum wage, what you need is proper unions that can fuck the companies over if they don't agree to collective wage agreements. We don't even have a minimum wage here in Sweden yet the wages are kept high, thanks to the unions.
    The problem with that in the US is the same people who oppose raising the minimum wage also want to abolish unions.

Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    The problem with that in the US is the same people who oppose raising the minimum wage also want to abolish unions.
    UAW did wonders for the US auto industry eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    I hate Augusta. Couldn't pay me to live there unless my only other choice was Macon.

Seriously though hat off to you as the wife and I do the same thing you do. We keep all housing costs under X% etc.
    The only complaints I see about Augusta are the younger crowd who complain about lack of events and things to do. I've lived here my entire life (34 years) and I have zero complaints. Traffic outside of Washington Rd. on Friday and Saturday nights is basically tame compared to Atlanta (which has terribad traffic daily).

There are clubs (of all kinds), stripper bars, skate parks, malls, basically everything Atlanta would have just on a smaller scale for the younger crowd. Of course now that I am older, married, and have a kid, I am perfectly fine with the laid back atmosphere here of "much to do about nothing". lol
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2016-04-20 at 05:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    Clearly you need more people organizing in the unions then, in enough amounts to put pressure on companies. If enough are in the unions, then you can just tell the companies "Nope, we're not working until you agree to a collective wage agreement".

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    It will not increase at the same rate relative to the minimum wage. No one has claimed that... Can you identify in what situation you expect EMS will still be making $15/hr if the minimum wage goes to $15/hr.
    it was someones response to the whole situation. they thought it would be funny if menial labor made the same rate as the EMS in their area.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    All this means is kids don't repeat the same grade. They pass to the next grade even if they fail. I failed every single grade up to 10th. At which point I just went and got my G.E.D. instead.

"No child left behind" is a joke and needs to be abolished.
    cannot agree more.
    i had trouble with math growing up.
    all it took was my father locking me in my room till I could recite my multiplication tables to 12 verbatim for me to overcome this hurdle.
    sure, people learn at different rates. look at wow and some people's inability to handle even what the average player would consider simple mechanics. but everyone CAN learn unless they have a diagnosed mental disability preventing them from it.

oh. and labeling active children ADHD and then over medicating them with depressants doesn't count.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    UAW did wonders for the US auto industry eh?
    Yup, that damn UAW forced the companies to design and produce vehicles that were inferior (in terms of what the market was wanting) to foreign brands!

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yup, that damn UAW forced the companies to design and produce vehicles that were inferior (in terms of what the market was wanting) to foreign brands!
    The build "quality" was 100% UAW workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzaj View Post
    Why not have the gov't dictate prices for stuff then? Min wage makes about as much sense as maximum cost.
    Because that would be a directed, state run economy, which has never worked ever.

The answer to one extreme isn't another extreme, believe it or not.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    If you're working minimum wage as adult you really fucked up in life
    Irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that high school students cannot fulfill all minimum wage or near to it positions. Period. Thus the minimum wage must necessarily provide a minimum living standard for at least a single adult.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The build "quality" was 100% UAW workers.
    This might be hard to grasp, but 90% of a car's quality is design, engineering, parts and fabrication. A line worker can only screw up the build so much, but when the car's design is terrible, the engine and drive train are engineered poorly, and the materials used to build the car are from the lowest bidder, you really just end up getting what you paid for.

The fault for the US automakers (save Ford) sucking out and going bankrupt rests squarely on the shoulders of the corporations, and the decision makers. NOT the workers.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    This might be hard to grasp, but 90% of a car's quality is design, engineering, parts and fabrication. A line worker can only screw up the build so much, but when the car's design is terrible, the engine and drive train are engineered poorly, and the materials used to build the car are from the lowest bidder, you really just end up getting what you paid for.

The fault for the US automakers (save Ford) sucking out and going bankrupt rests squarely on the shoulders of the corporations, and the decision makers. NOT the workers.
    Most of the issues I have ever had with a new auto can only be blamed on poor assembly: loose, missing, or incorrect parts.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Most of the issues I have ever had with a new auto can only be blamed on poor assembly: loose, missing, or incorrect parts.
    They work on an assembly-line, I can understand loose parts being attributed to the workers. How can you attribute missing or incorrect parts to them? Seems like an issue with supply and logistics.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmywoft View Post
    They work on an assembly-line, I can understand loose parts being attributed to the workers. How can you attribute missing or incorrect parts to them? Seems like an issue with supply and logistics.
    Missing parts is a no-brainer, the assembler just didnt bother to put it on.

Wrong part is not paying attention or not caring. If they are not capable of telling parts apart, they really are not worth more than minimum wage, if even that. Its not that difficult, almost every part has a part number on it after all....

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Come on he's a true American. He can't even point out Germany on a map.
    People like you make me feel great to not be retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    All questions that have answers that you could garner by looking at literally any other minimum wage hike in history. Where yes, all those wages go up, in pretty much exactly the way you're incredulous that they would.

Well, sure. When the min wage went from 3.35 to 3.80 to 4.25. We have never had an effective raise of more than a dollar, 7.25 to 15.00 is a lot more than a dollar. Those previous minimum wage increases didn't do much for those making minimum wage, prices quietly crept up to compensate and keep those profits going. Nobody can definitively state the impact of such a huge jump in such a large percentage of people. There are a lot of people currently making between 7.25 and 15.00, when they all get boosted up who knows what the repercussions will be. That is why all the previous changes have been incremental and not more than a dollar at a time.

In 1980 a candy bar cost 25 cents. In 1981 after the min wage was raised from 3.10 to 3.35, they cost 33 cents. I know this because I couldn't buy 4 for a dollar anymore, it was 3 for a dollar. The question is... why? Did Hershey pay their workers minimum wage? There was rampant inflation at the time, was that caused by the yearly wage increases since 1974? Was the local convenience store owner just gouging us for kicks? From 74 to 81 the minimum wage went from 2.00 to 3.35, a little every year. So yes, I will be interested to see the impact of such a large increase.

;tldr: I want it to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    Yes, she would destroy me and my raging boner.
    In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    Well, sure. When the min wage went from 3.35 to 3.80 to 4.25. We have never had an effective raise of more than a dollar, 7.25 to 15.00 is a lot more than a dollar. Those previous minimum wage increases didn't do much for those making minimum wage, prices quietly crept up to compensate and keep those profits going. Nobody can definitively state the impact of such a huge jump in such a large percentage of people. There are a lot of people currently making between 7.25 and 15.00, when they all get boosted up who knows what the repercussions will be. That is why all the previous changes have been incremental and not more than a dollar at a time.

In 1980 a candy bar cost 25 cents. In 1981 after the min wage was raised from 3.10 to 3.35, they cost 33 cents. I know this because I couldn't buy 4 for a dollar anymore, it was 3 for a dollar. The question is... why? Did Hershey pay their workers minimum wage? There was rampant inflation at the time, was that caused by the yearly wage increases since 1974? Was the local convenience store owner just gouging us for kicks? From 74 to 81 the minimum wage went from 2.00 to 3.35, a little every year. So yes, I will be interested to see the impact of such a large increase.

;tldr: I want it to happen.
    Nobody with any degree of sense is advocating for anything except an incremental increase.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Nobody with any degree of sense is advocating for anything except an incremental increase.
    Wouldn't this lead to a somewhat perpetual system? By the time it does reach $15, then $15 will be to low.

I dunno, maybe that is the end game anyhow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Wouldn't this lead to a somewhat perpetual system? By the time it does reach $15, then $15 will be to low.

I dunno, maybe that is the end game anyhow.
    Which is why the next step of that increase is to tie the minimum wage back to inflation as it should have been originally.

It's no different than what used to be a normal cost of living increase most jobs provided.