I thought I liked Zelda: Ocarina of Time... but I don't. Turns out it's only Nostalgia.

- Nostalrius made no money off it. Donations went directly to the server hosting company.
    From memory no one donated a cent.

- Most players on vanilla servers would love a retail vanilla server, including subscriptions (me being one of them).
    No they wont and you know it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cirdanx View Post
    Everquest as an example. Older than WoW
    So blizzard said no to vanilla servers, go play Everquest then? whats the problem? you like old games so take one that is still on the market instead of demanding stuff from a company that alrdy said no and dont want to work on a project like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lythelia View Post
    I don't think is accurate, they were not only working on a TBC server but they were hiring up too for more "devs"
    Tbh I find it hard to believe myself, but after watching a bunch of wow Youtubers, most consistently say that if Blizz didn't shut them down, it was likely they would have shutdown anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synadrasa View Post
    Blizzard has responded!!!!
    link?
    10 charssss

Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    The point is when blizzard would release a vanilla server ppl would check it out then see what it is a standalone 12 year old game with 0 new content patches for the future and would ask themselfs why even bother when nothing new comes out like we all do in standalone game? i mean do ppl still play the witcher3 or GTA?
    Go to the Witcher and GTA forums. They play...and they play a lot.

You, and others, seem to make the mistake in missjudging the audience for such servers. It´s not about updates and new content. It´s about the old game, if you want to play vanilla YOU know what you are in for, it´s not about getting new players at all. If anything, some of these players might even jump over to the current game which is a win/win. Most of all it´s really about the community, one that loves that old charm, and is not around anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantalaimon View Post
    I just mentioned in another post how a line would need to be drawn if Blizzard were to create their first official private server because if they make a vanilla one then of course players will pop up giving shout outs that Blizzard should also do their other favorite server at some point as well. Maybe I am wrong that the manpower wouldn't affect live, who knows, but say the legacy server trend continued. What then? Even if you took some posters' quotes of 30 man Nost teams as complete fact you would still have to multiply the manpower for that by 30 * n, n being the number of expansions that people could want to have turned into legacy servers after the treatment is applied to vanilla. This is quite the "What if" scenario atm but the big picture stands in need of being looked at critically. In the long term having more than just Vanilla turned legacy could require a couple hundred or more people managing these older versions of the game.

Blizzard might not lose subs by taking the brunt of the legacy server costs, but in order to convince Blizzard you're going to need to argue how it will increase subs and net more money instead of arguing that it won't hurt things more. That isn't a very good business argument to do something.
    Right, so I'd be willing to pay an extra sub to have access to the Vanilla server. I'd even pay a more expensive sub to have that access. The argument of other servers and where to draw the line is really just a slippery slope argument. There's no reason they can't just have a progression server that starts at launch and caps at 1.12.1, at least to see how well it performs. The monitoring teams for these private servers that exist are pretty small already, so we're not talking hundreds of people even if there are multiple servers, or if the server just progresses to the next expansion after a while.

The main point is that it will in no way detract from the latest version of WoW unless people are leaving to play the legacy server, in which case they're playing what they want to play and still paying a (possibly extra) subscription so Blizzard doesn't lose out.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Piwoot View Post
    link?
    10 charssss
    Their response: 凸( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)凸

Infracted: Trolling {MoanaLisa}
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2016-04-20 at 10:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

You, and others, seem to make the mistake in missjudging the audience for such servers. It´s not about updates and new content. It´s about the old game, if you want to play vanilla YOU know what you are in for, it´s not about getting new players at all. If anything, some of these players might even jump over to the current game which is a win/win. Most of all it´s really about the community, one that loves that old charm, and is not around anymore.
    Exactly. People go back and play old games all the time. People still play the shit out of D2. People still go back and run through the old JRPGs and platformers, not to mention hugely influential games like Ocarina of Time. Old games have a huge draw even when you know the story and know exactly what you're getting.

I love Vanilla for the world it presented and the way it let you exist in that world. There has never been a better MMORPG to me than Vanilla WoW, and it was not my first one either so it's not just based on a brand new experience.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

So blizzard said no to vanilla servers, go play Everquest then? whats the problem? you like old games so take one that is still on the market instead of demanding stuff from a company that alrdy said no.
    Where did i say i liked old games? I like good games Why should i play Everquest? It´s not WoW, this kind of argument makes no logical sense. I was just pointing out that there is an example and your argument is not set in reality. If anything, the very vocal backlash AND support from popular streamers and youtubers and even coverage in the gaming media, should show that there is an audience for a server hosted by Blizzard.

But as i said before, i think they won´t do it now, but it should give them food for thought in the future. Also what Blizzard said half a year ago doesn´t matter at all, they change their "opinions" all the f*cking time.

Deleted
    Ok now lets go back abit more to 12 years ago

Half-Life 2
    Halo 2
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Rome: Total War

Are these still played by the masses because this the age when vanilla came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    Reading is hard man. MORE successful. The post I responded to said Vanilla servers now would be MORE successful but keep being an illiterate...
    The irony of this post is kinda entertaining.

Huge success =/= More successful.

Having a legacy server be a huge success implying their later creations are a bit shit =/= It will be more successful.

But everyone slips up occasionally Just not normally when they are bashing someone else for being illiterate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Blizzard should use Kickstarter-like system. Where people actually show support with cash and then they'll see if it's profitable or not.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IMloreeu View Post
    The only way i see blizzard making vanilla server would be the noraml sub to the game + have the last expansion, so if u wanna play lets say vanilla in legion then u would have to buy legion. would be go for them to drive box sales dunno if ppl who only are intressed in vanilla would buy it though, since they played for free on private servers
    Some probably would pay, some wouldn't though. Pretty silly for people to think that every single person who played on a free private server would be willing to pay for a subscription full time though.

People can quote play times all they want, but when you're not paying for something you won't feel like you're wasting money because, uh, you aren't paying it. This isn't completely unique to WoW either, but if you're paying for a subscription you're more likely to feel a bit of pressure to make use of that time, otherwise you're just wasting money on a service you aren't using. When you have F2P service you can come and go as you please with absolutely no pressure, which for "some" might make the experience feel a lot better than it actually is.

I'm not really in one camp or another, but I'm completely dubious about peoples true experience on a vanilla server (especially considering it was free, which muddies the waters) as I am with the numbers people are spouting about a petition going around. 200k while impressive, doesn't really give a whole lot to go on and I'll explain why. How many of those people aren't just disgruntled ex WoW players, and how many of those are simply people who aren't going to play WoW anyways, but like to jump on this story because they heard of it? It's not uncommon for people to pile onto hating companies or corporations simply because they are seen as an enemy, and in this story a lot of the public perception has been skewed to point out that Blizzard is evil and is out to squash the little guys fun. Whenever I talk to people about this, half of them are completely clueless about the fact that the server would have been shutdown a couple weeks after the forced shutdown anyway.

Personally it doesn't matter to me, more options, and legacy servers in practice would be cool. On the flip side of things this generally puts game developers in an awkward position if they have several different camps within the same game, essentially splitting resources even more and potentially cannibalizing their own player base. It would be a different story if Blizzard was no longer making expansions for the game though.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    I'm sure this all makes great sense to you if you want it to, but what a 'stupid' comment.

Who cares what you think you can or can't blame people for. Hey, you have a nice car that I like. Think I'll just pistol whip you and take it. Can you blame me? After all, you had that car I really wanted. So whatcha gonna do right?

Your statement is as ignorant as my analogy.
    By extension, you're calling the CEO of Valve Software ignorant.

And yes, that was an actual quote.

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Ok now lets go back abit more to 12 years ago

Half-Life 2
    Halo 2
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    Rome: Total War

Are these still played by the masses because this the age when vanilla came out.
    which of those games had 3 million players

Not one opponent of Vanilla servers is making a case as to why they shouldn't exist, aside from playing business man, and pretending it will take to much time.

I want to know what are they trying to protect? Legacy servers won't take an ounce away from your game, it won't do anything but bring back players who might make the transition to a good expansion (when blizzard makes one.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrxz View Post
    Blizzard should use Kickstarter-like system. Where people actually show support with cash and then they'll see if it's profitable or not.
    I think they've had enough of our money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belime View Post
    which of those games had 3 million players
    example: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas sold 20 million copies.
    Good for 2004, now just think about rockstar instead of making a new GTA re-release Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas do you think it wll get mass players back to it? i think fans maybe 1 million will check it out then realise its a old game and bitch that rockstar did not spend there time on a game for the current gaming age.
    Last edited by mmoc2b606a4969; 2016-04-20 at 10:33 PM.

Deleted
    @Syrith,

SS from last month playing Nostalrius.
    RIP 4 level 60's
    http://imgur.com/a/YcMWv