Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Yeah but we're talking of a guy who made every sort of personal sacrifice just to uphold honor. If that was something he was eager to cast aside the moment it was convenient do so, he would have never been exiled to begin with. And this without consider that the Argent Crusade resorting to Scourge-like tactics wasn't a gurantee of victory at all, it made sense in Darion's head but he's a freaking Death Knight. I can assure he would have came to quite a different conclusion if he was still alive.
    True and that is why he isn't really fit to lead, because sometimes you have to make tough calls, like sacrificing troops in order to create an opening knowing that they are getting slaughtered as a consequence. Tirion greatest weakness is that he won't even considering something like that.

In the end you can't be "honorable when the situation afford it" because it defeats the whole point. Tirion's own power and connection to the Light was forged through the faith and conviction he had in his own beliefs. You either follow your ideals to the bitter end or you don't even attempt to uphold them to begin with.

In other words, be either a Tirion or a Sylvanas. Don't be a fucking Garrosh.
    If your personal values potentially endanger the whole planet, you should take a step back and reconsider sticking to them, racial leaders have to compromise their personal morals all the time.
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2016-04-19 at 04:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post

Yeah but we're talking of a guy who made every sort of personal sacrifice just to uphold honor. If that was something he was eager to cast aside the moment it was convenient do so, he would have never been exiled to begin with. And this without consider that the Argent Crusade resorting to Scourge-like tactics wasn't a gurantee of victory at all, it made sense in Darion's head but he's a freaking Death Knight. I can assure he would have came to quite a different conclusion if he was still alive.

In the end you can't be "honorable when the situation afford it" because it defeats the whole point. Tirion's own power and connection to the Light was forged through the faith and conviction he had in his own beliefs. You either follow your ideals to the bitter end or you don't even attempt to uphold them to begin with.

In other words, be either a Tirion or a Sylvanas. Don't be a fucking Garrosh.
    That has nothing to do with honor. Its more about being ideology crazed moron.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    whole draenei retcon business is stupid, dont overthink it. I wouldnt be surprised if Metzen retcons Eredar lore once more adding the fourth sibling in Archimonde-KJ family with some BS story behind it.
    Except for the part they aren't family or never were

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Except for the part they aren't family or never were
    Original Eredar lore stated KJ and Archimonde were brothers, then Metzen retconned with space goats and said Velen was third brother who led his people to Outland because he didnt agree with "corruption" (Metzen and corruption fetish)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

Finished the book late last night, loved it from cover to cover.

I find it interesting that Altruis wasn't mentioned at all, and it makes it especially interesting since he can be one of the DH 2nd in commands. Honestly, it makes 0 sense to take him as your 2nd in command knowing Illidan's true intentions.

I really liked the overarching theme of Illidan trying to accomplish something greater than what the average person saw, and how stupid the Alliance and Horde were for fighting him.

Quote Originally Posted by Forde View Post
    I really liked the overarching theme of Illidan trying to accomplish something greater than what the average person saw, and how stupid the Alliance and Horde were for fighting him.
    He could have prevented a lot of it had he actually tried to communicate with those factions, Argus might have been blown up after all.

Has to be one of my favorite WoW books in a long time. I know a lot of people have been discussing the "Holy Illidan" point... but it didn't bother me for two reasons. 1) Illidan didn't believe it from the start and thinks he is being fooled.. but the idea of being vindicated plays to his arrogance. 2) Since Andiun has received a similar vision.. It leads me to believe the Naaru use this vision to motivate people or give them faith. More of a vision of hope and not something that will happen.. just a push in the right direction. Just my thoughts though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Finished the book late last night, loved it from cover to cover.

I find it interesting that Altruis wasn't mentioned at all, and it makes it especially interesting since he can be one of the DH 2nd in commands. Honestly, it makes 0 sense to take him as your 2nd in command knowing Illidan's true intentions.

Altruis didn't have an issue with Illidan's intentions, per se; he took issue with his methods and he embodies the argument that the ends don't always justify the means. Altruis posits that while he agrees with the Demon Hunter credo to pay evil unto evil, the Illidari walks a fine line between noble intent and outright monstrosity (further reflected in each Demon Hunter's struggle with their own inner demonic nature, a conflict he believes Illidan fought and lost). Kayn more represents the Illidari status quo and loyalty to Illidan's ideals - something you have to make your own decisions about. I think it's a key roleplaying plot-point - if you've read Illidan you kind of know Illidan is ultimately in the right (even if what he does is still monstrous), but Altruis offers a "third way" which could allow the Illidari to stop the Legion without becoming monsters in the process.

I like the inclusion of the possibility and the option - gives the player a chance to strike out on their own.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Original Eredar lore stated KJ and Archimonde were brothers, then Metzen retconned with space goats and said Velen was third brother who led his people to Outland because he didnt agree with "corruption" (Metzen and corruption fetish)
    Source? Because not even in the WC3 manuals appear a reference of such relationship. As far as I remember "brother" appeared once and it was Kil'jaeden talking about his brotherhood with Velen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I don't think the Eredar triumvirate were biologically related, either. They refer to one another as "brother" in the platonic sense of the term - they shared thoughts, emotions, and a deeper spiritual connection but not necessarily genetics.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Velens vision of the Warrior of light was fighting against Sargeras and the Legion not the Void Lords so their could be more than one warrior of light.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2016-04-20 at 06:22 AM.

Has the explanation for "one legion" been covered?

Quote Originally Posted by Sephirosu View Post
    No, it didn't even assert the "one legion" theory. Although they did described how the Legion had been destroying worlds and futures in the multiverse (kind of).
    Last edited by Qualia; 2016-04-20 at 09:21 AM.
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang
    Donnons le sang de guillotine
    Pour guerir la secheresse de la guillotine
    Je veux le sang, sang, sang, et sang.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualia View Post
    No, it didn't even assert the "one legion" theory. Although they did described how the Legion had been destroying worlds and futures in the multiverse (kind of).
    How are they? I didn't get that from the first post highlighting the important points of the book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephirosu View Post
    Illidan seems to posit the whole "every decision spawns a possible alternate universe" model of the multiverse, and the Legion's crusade against all life basically winnows down all possible decisions and therefore reduces the spawning of alternative universes. It doesn't explicitly say that the Legion is destroying all worlds, everywhere and in every universe, but it does imply that there is a multiverse and that the Legion has access to all of them. I don't know if the model is that *all* decisions spawn universes, or only critical ones in a special sense - if the former then the Legion has potentially infinite universes to contend with so it's probably only large-scale decisions that tend to spawn alternate universes.

I like how the book left little doubt that had Illidan not gotten cocky, he would have blasted a hole through Arthas chest. Very nice.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    I like how the book left little doubt that had Illidan not gotten cocky, he would have blasted a hole through Arthas chest. Very nice.
    I think a lot of Illidan's cockiness was probably a side-effect of his recent absorption of the Skull of Gul'dan - had he entered the fight clear headed and in full control of his faculties it might've had a different outcome. Maybe that's one of those alternate universes out there in the Great Dark - a world where there was no successive Lich King after Ner'zhul, or possibly a world with Lich King Illidan instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    Totally agree. I really like how it shows how immensely powerful Illidan is, and how much more powerful he is supposed to become in the future, as well as how he is supposed to carry out his destiny.

I feel like one of the best parts of the book is that it showcased Illidan as not just a edgelord demon elf for the sake of being badass, but he was portrayed as someone with flaws and immense strength, trying to do everything he could for the greater good. I really can't wait to see how the in game lore reflects this with void lords on the horizon, past the Burning Legion and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally agree. I really like how it shows how immensely powerful Illidan is, and how much more powerful he is supposed to become in the future, as well as how he is supposed to carry out his destiny.

I feel like one of the best parts of the book is that it showcased Illidan as not just a edgelord demon elf for the sake of being badass, but he was portrayed as someone with flaws and immense strength, trying to do everything he could for the greater good. I really can't wait to see how the in game lore reflects this with void lords on the horizon, past the Burning Legion and such.
    I know. Made me feel even worse for killing him. Sincerely hope he doesn't get redeemed. Best tragic hero ever.

7+ Year Old Account

Heh, I'm almost afraid that King was too good of a writer and we'll be let down. Hopefully not.