Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Warp Drive possible? When will this be our way of travel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlJwNzS7mqo

Hello everyone here is a video discussing the Miguel Alcubierre Drive which seems to be the most accepted way to Warp Drive. I reference Steve Lameroux Negative energy findings and the Casimir effect. The issues of achieving Warp Drive and can we as Humans travel in a Warp Bubble. That Steven Hawking guy doesn't think so. Him and his Hawking Radiation. What do you think about the video? Does it happen anytime in the next couple 100 years?

- - - Updated - - -

I think that we develop AI and the Singularity will be our last invention. Then AI will accelerate everything for us. I look forward to being a robot.
    Last edited by TheAbomb; 2016-04-21 at 06:17 AM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    It all sounds nice, but I don't have enough hope for Humanity to think we'll get to it any time soon.

Deleted
    it might happen one day. but it will doubtfully be in any of our lifetimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did not quite catch the argument regarding stacking the plates to make Casimir effect stronger. No matter how many plates you stack, on a macroscopic scale the net Casimir effect will still be negligible. How can one possibly use it in a warp drive?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    it might happen one day. but it will doubtfully be in any of our lifetimes.
    Just got to live long enough to down load our consciousness onto a computer and then we will live forever to see it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbomb View Post
    Just got to live long enough to down load our consciousness onto a computer and then we will live forever to see it.
    that too, is unlikely in our lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I did not quite catch the argument regarding stacking the plates to make Casimir effect stronger. No matter how many plates you stack, on a macroscopic scale the net Casimir effect will still be negligible. How can one possibly use it in a warp drive?
    Not sure but Steve Lamoreaux who did the test on negative energy believes that stacking the plates will generate more. However still doesn't seem to be anywhere near what we need and some of the other theories on reducing the negative energy requirement like softening space seem far fetched at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    that too, is unlikely in our lifetime.
    You think so? The singularity at early predictions is in 2029. Think there will be a tipping point and while Moore's law in some area's has slowed down think there will be a time for rapid acceleration as we approach the singularity.

You must of loved Homer doing math in the video from your picture

If I remember the theory correctly, it would require negative energy (which is still theoretical) equivalent to the entire energy output of Jupiter in a year to function for an hour. I think we are a long ways off from having that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalis View Post
    If I remember the theory correctly, it would require negative energy (which is still theoretical) equivalent to the entire energy output of Jupiter in a year to function for an hour. I think we are a long ways off from having that ability.
    Yes noted in the video Chris Van Den Broeck has worked the math down much further to a plausible area which is why it's gained in some interest. Other people made some theories such as softening space to reduce negative energy even further but most physicist aren't on board with that being possible. Besides Van Den Broek math makes it realistic anyways. The links to his math are in the video description as a reference.

Deleted
    I always liked the part about the alcubierre drive where you can't interact with the warp bubble, specifically you cannot sent a signal to the bubble. Meaning that you can't steer or stop your ship.

But truthfully any FTL method we will devise will probably come from some part of science we can't even imagine yet. It will probably require a leap comparable to discovering atoms or the fundamental forces in scope beyond what we know now.

Deleted
    I'd prefer we find a way to fold space like in Dune, much...much faster than just the warp drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm quite familiar with the Alcubierre Drive and how it works in theory, however then I read this:

That Steven Hawking guy doesn't think so. Him and his Hawking Radiation. .
    And just lost any desire to debate on the subjects.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arishtat View Post
    I'd prefer we find a way to fold space like in Dune, much...much faster than just the warp drive.
    Both the star trek warp drive and the alcubierre drive work by folding space soooo

You can't travel faster than light, yet you think you could if you were contracting/expanding spacetime in the rate faster than light?

That path is going to nowhere.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Both the star trek warp drive and the alcubierre drive work by folding space soooo
    Not quite...Dune "space folding" drives are more or less instantaneous methods of travel around the known universe. Where as the warp drive in Star Trek doesn't necessarily fold space, but creates a subsapce warp bubble around the ship allowing it to bypass the speed of light. Big difference, and much..much slower.

Never, we are 20 trillion in debt, social welfare has taken up every last penny we had for any advancement as a society. Its all downhill from here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Never, we are 20 trillion in debt, social welfare has taken up every last penny we had for any advancement as a society. Its all downhill from here.
    Do you think before you type or do you just spew whatever drivel comes to your mind straight to the keyboard while replying to a thread. Bonus points if said drivel contains something against the left, or Islam, or well..anything that's not right-wing?

It wouldn't be you, though. You would still die along with your consciousness.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post
    You can't travel faster than light, yet you think you could if you were contracting/expanding spacetime in the rate faster than light?

Light speed limit is a feature of special relativity, and in general relativity space is only required to be locally special relativistic. Which means that we could in principle go faster than light speed as long as our methods are not local.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafoel View Post

Yeah, that was my thoughts. Once I found out that gravity is not instantaneous and in fact works at the speed of light like everything else, the idea of being able to manipulate spacetime itself to do so seemed much less plausible.

Gravity not being instantaneous (or nearly so) also kind of shoots a big hole in the Honor Harrington series, since their ability to travel faster than and communicate beyond the speed of light relies on 'gravity waves that are faster than light'.