Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Tips for getting married?

Most people would love to get married but unfortunately it doesn't happen for some.

Curious what tips you would give someone to make the process easier?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome1 View Post
    Most people would love to get married but unfortunately it doesn't happen for some.

Cohabitate for years. You'll learn how much you love/loathe someone after years of dealing with them and their idiosyncrasies every single fucking day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Mail-order-brides.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

7+ Year Old Account
    Live with them for at least 2 years.

Afterwards, then consider it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do not marry someone before you've lived with them for at least a year. I've already seen more failed marriages than I'd like to see because the two decided to marry before they lived together. You don't actually know someone until you see where they shit/eat/sleep

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Mail-order-brides.
    Get amuptee mail order brides. Guaranteed half off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Do not marry someone before you've lived with them for at least a year. I've already seen more failed marriages than I'd like to see because the two decided to marry before they lived together. You don't actually know someone until you see where they shit/eat/sleep
    Chris Rock once said that when you first meet a woman, all you see is her "representative." That's just a mask hiding all the things she doesn't want you to see. I agree that living together for a year or two is probably for the best since you see her without the mask. It might not be pretty, but at least it's honest. And that's the stuff of a stable relationship. Trust, honesty...the love is sometimes secondary.

Get pregnant. Religious parents may help.
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Go in knowing the divorce system is heavily in favor of the women. So make sure she is the one, and even if she is, get a prenup. Or just never get married, find a girl you love and live with her and essentially be married in every sense but the word so if it eventually ends you don't get absolutely buttfucked by the courts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyv3r View Post
    Get pregnant. Religious parents may help.
    Her dad standing behind the groom with a shotgun?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Chris Rock once said that when you first meet a woman, all you see is her "representative." That's just a mask hiding all the things she doesn't want you to see. I agree that living together for a year or two is probably for the best since you see her without the mask. It might not be pretty, but at least it's honest. And that's the stuff of a stable relationship. Trust, honesty...the love is sometimes secondary.
    It's the truth too. Both genders do it really. As much as people may want to claim they're 100% themselves while dating its just a blatant lie. Everyone puts on their best impression of themselves in the dating phase.

Rip to the couples that go through the first few months of still being too scared to fart around one another at home

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome1 View Post

Actually most people without kids are starting to realise that marriage is a really bad idea, and the only reason it's a good idea with kids is that should one partner die, there is no legal hoops to jump through in order for the surviving partner to get financial aid and support dealing with said loss etc etc etc...

Regardless, don't get married it's just legally binding yourself to another person and should something go sideways it's more trouble than it's worth, love doesnt need a ceremony in order to be real and worthwhile.

Also, wanting to get married just for the notion of getting married? Horrible lack of judgement right there. Marriage is a result, it shouldnt be a goal to strive for.

Don´t. Only advice one should give.

Rip to the couples that go through the first few months of still being too scared to fart around one another at home
    What? Women don't fart!

Unless you want and plan to have children. Don't. It's an outmoded institution that just isn't necessary anymore and just creates legal issues and obligations to stay when things go sour.

One doesn't have to get married to lead an awesome life with another person. Just found out the other day a 75 year old woman I know is getting married to a man she's been with for other 40 years. I assumed they were married because they've been together longer than I've been alive and have several children older than I. They just decided to do it because, basically, why not?

I hate to say it, but marriage is sort of an outdated institution, and yes it does very much favor the woman if divorce is not amicable. I'd say in any case, co-habitate for a while and be of the mindset that you have to talk and be willing to dialogue on inevitable problems. You will have hiccups and things you don't like about the other person, but if you bottle it up and don't talk, they will fester and blow up eventually. People who don't talk grow apart.

Also, don't rush into marriage because you're afraid of being alone.

Deleted
    Never tell her where you live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    What? Women don't fart!
    Oh yeah I forgot. Can't fart if you don't poop

Oh yeah I forgot. Can't fart if you don't poop
    That derriere is too fine to even think of being soiled!

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Her dad standing behind the groom with a shotgun?
    Something like that ahah
    Money talks, bullshit walks..