Deleted
    1. why is this thread still open the server wont ever come back online

2. isnt it against mmo-c rules to post about private servers

3. who gives a crap blizzard are not gonna release legacy servers get over it

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Why don't you look at the person you're quoting and why he's worth less than the randomers on the forum when it comes to financial advice
    Yea, just because he failed after that, that means he wasn't lead of the greatest MMO ever made? Or he is lying about Blizzard expectations for Vanilla wow? And why do you think that he is 100% responsible for the failures in his later career?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Oh yeah look at Kern's track record since Blizz. Something to be inspired by. Save me a seat on the bus.

"some" thousands of dollars. You should do market analysis for Blizz, they could use you.

Why do they even need to take a bet on this in the first place? They don't. They have plenty of eggs in other baskets now.
    I didnt write this number out of my ass... http://www.pcinvasion.com/ex-world-o...izzard-vanilla .

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post

The topic is open because people want to discuss about it, and thats why forums exists... for discussion. If you are not interested on the topic, dont read? except if you somehow feel "offended" that this topic is so popular...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Why don't you look at the person you're quoting and why he's worth less than the randomers on the forum when it comes to financial advice

What? You don't want a seat on the Hype Bus?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post

Thread still open because dreams never die apparently.

Also mmo-champ made an exception for this thread because Blizz shut it down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    It's not viable because you have to compare it to what they can gain from the game by NOT implementing legacy realms, not what they were expecting to make from Vanilla.

I said it before, if people would subscribe for Legion just as well as Legacy, then Legacy isn't actually making a profit.

If Legion doesn't sell premium copies because of Legacy, Legacy is losing money.

If Blizzard has a harder time promoting future expansions because Legacy realms split the community by preferences, Legacy is losing money.

If there's a steep curve in player interest (i.e. a lot of players come to try it, few stay), and they have to set up more servers than they'll end up using on the long run, Legacy is losing money.

If they fix all the code for vanilla, and the nostalgia wears off in a year or two, Legacy is losing money. Unlike the original game or any expansion, you can't use this code as a backbone for developing the next expansion, you're just making it for the lifespan of this side-project.

Making the comparison Mark Kern is making is absurd.
    Your statements are as absurd as those from Mark Kern. Why would Legacy make no profit with a double subscription? Why would Legion not sell premium copies because of Legacy? Why would the community split? Why would setting up more servers cost money? Why would nostalgia wear off? It's all conjecture and assumptions. You don't know nothing, try to bluff your way using all kinds of fallacies (appeal to authority the most, which is strange because Mark Kern is much more of an authority than you are).

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    In Thousand Needles you still fight against centaurs and evil tauren. In EPL you defend the same towns and towers against undead. They added content, that's true, but the original zone design and story are still present.
    Naa you are talking a lot of "untruths" here. Unless you're understanding of WoWs story was "We killed some things. The End." I mean, you're still speaking bullshit even if that's the case; but at least it would be honest bullshit
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I didnt write this number out of my ass...
    Technically no, you didn't. Kern did. It is quite laughable to think he knows all the costs involved for Blizzard considering he hasn't worked there in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickbowjob View Post
    Interest over time World of warcraft vs Vanilla WoW:
    https://twitter.com/mingleM/status/723119059923947520
    I sure would love to know the values on the 'Y' axis on both those charts. For all we know, Vanilla WoW's highest peak may not even surpass retail WoW's lowest point.

EDIT: Hell, without a source, we can't even make sure if the graph is genuine or made in photoshop...
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2016-04-21 at 02:38 PM.

What? You don't want a seat on the Hype Bus?
    I'm not suggesting the buck get's passed but in the case of the bus, wasn't it a failure because the people kitting it up failed to to do so by the agreed upon date, so it wasn't able to be showcased at all the gaming conventions that year?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    It's not viable because you have to compare it to what they can gain from the game by NOT implementing legacy realms, not what they were expecting to make from Vanilla.

I said it before, if people would subscribe for Legion just as well as Legacy, then Legacy isn't actually making a profit.

If Legion doesn't sell premium copies because of Legacy, Legacy is losing money.

If Blizzard has a harder time promoting future expansions because Legacy realms split the community by preferences, Legacy is losing money.

If there's a steep curve in player interest (i.e. a lot of players come to try it, few stay), and they have to set up more servers than they'll end up using on the long run, Legacy is losing money.

If they fix all the code for vanilla, and the nostalgia wears off in a year or two, Legacy is losing money. Unlike the original game or any expansion, you can't use this code as a backbone for developing the next expansion, you're just making it for the lifespan of this side-project.

Making the comparison Mark Kern is making is absurd.
    Legacy servers will not compete with retail ones.. there are 2 different playerbases. I dont think the LFR and flying mount players will be interested in legacy servers...I dont see how the "community" (what community? you mean population..) will be split. Vegetarians will sit on the table with vegetables and non vegetarians will go for the meat.

Technically no, you didn't. Kern did. It is quite laughable to think he knows all the costs involved for Blizzard considering he hasn't worked there in 10 years.
    he is doing the same work though and he perfectly knows the costs of salaries and server hardware...except if blizzard work with aliens.
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2016-04-21 at 02:40 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe you should check your own sources.. Ion's comment that there would be no flying (that was reverted) was IN 2015. Bashiok's was before the expansion release in 2014. Once again, Bashiok clarified the same day in the first comment that this was an experiment, and that was later clarified that they plan to add flying later.

So please stop saying I'm twisting things when you know quite well the only one doing that here is you. P.S. next time if you want to try to 'twist' using sources, don't use sources with dates.
    Bashiok was the first one. Ion came after - in fact, it's a quote made at Blizzcon. The fact that it's written and reported later doesn't make it a 2015 thing.

Secondly, it was an experiment which "they will use to go forward". The initial experiment was Isle of Thunder. Then it was Timeless Isle. In WoD, they planned to remove it entirely. Only when the community went all beserk did they change it.

This was my last reply to you about this. I honestly don't think you're here in good faith, so it's not worth my time anymore. My point was done, my sources were released, do whatever you want with the facts but don't expect people to blindly believe you.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I'm not suggesting the buck get's passed but in the case of the bus, wasn't it a failure because the people kitting it up failed to to do so by the agreed upon date, so it wasn't able to be showcased at all the gaming conventions that year?
    Failures all around I'd guess, from West Coast Customs for trying to make that thing (and failing quite hard at delivering) and Kern and Co for doing such a project in the first place. I mean it was just one example from a list of failures from Kern and Co.

Legacy servers will not compete with retail ones.. there are 2 different playerbases. I dont think the LFR and flying mount players will be interested in legacy servers...I dont see how the "community" (what community? you mean population..) will be split. Vegetarians will sit on the table with vegetables and non vegetarians will go for the meat.

he is doing the same work though and he perfectly knows the costs of salaries and server hardware...except if blizzard work with aliens.
    Shocking news, non vegetarians also eat vegetables !

If you say so, make sure to save a spot on the Hype Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    Shocking news, non vegetarians also eat vegetables !
    But in this case, retail players are the vegetarians... these players will quit only because there is not a magic button to teleport them into dungeon...let alone the rest of the game... so dont worry, retail wow players will not get split..

If you say so, make sure to save a spot on the Hype Bus.
    and you can continue to believe that Blizzard work with alien technology, unknown to the rest of the developers of this planet and they cannot figure the cost...
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2016-04-21 at 02:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I sure would love to know the values on the 'Y' axis on both those charts. For all we know, Vanilla WoW's highest peak may not even surpass retail WoW's lowest point.
    Quick google trends says this:

so the vanilla wow search is at about 1/5th of the world of warcraft search
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Naa you are talking a lot of "untruths" here.
    Let's start zone-by-zone comparison.
    Elwynn forest: you help at the Northshire abbey, investigate mines, defend a lumber mill against murlocks, fight Hogger. Same as vanilla.
    Westfall: you fight against Defias brotherhood, get story for DM, gnolls, help against the murlocks at the lighthouse and find the Captain Sunders treasure. Same as vanilla.
    Redridge: you fight against gnolls and orcs and save a guy from the orc cave. Same as vanilla.

etc. etc.

But you make it sound as all the zones were completely redesigned somehow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elwynn forest: you help at the Northshire abbey, investigate mines, defend a lumber mill against murlocks, fight Hogger. Same as vanilla.
    Westfall: you fight against Defias brotherhood, get story for DM, gnolls, help against the murlocks at the lighthouse and find the Captain Sunders treasure. Same as vanilla.
    Redridge: you fight against gnolls and orcs and save a guy from the orc cave. Same as vanilla.

etc. etc.

Ye, it's not like they removed all the elite mobs and made it so that you can pull 4-5 mobs easily at low level.
    Also, that paladin quest that gives you that mace you'll use for 6 levels that's really cool but takes some effort and group play? good luck doing that!!!
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    so the vanilla wow search is at about 1/5th of the world of warcraft search
    Well that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Of course World of Warcraft will be used more frequently, it's the name of the game. If you could filter out results to show people that play wow and their searches, i'm sure the results would be a bit closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans Koomen View Post
    Your statements are as absurd as those from Mark Kern. Why would Legacy make no profit with a double subscription? Why would Legion not sell premium copies because of Legacy? Why would the community split? Why would setting up more servers cost money? Why would nostalgia wear off? It's all conjecture and assumptions. You don't know nothing, try to bluff your way using all kinds of fallacies (appeal to authority the most, which is strange because Mark Kern is much more of an authority than you are).
    Double subscription? First of all, that would be a strange decision (do PvE and PvP servers have separate subscription?). Second, it's still the same thing. You won't pay the Legion subscription if you want to play Legacy, it's still 0 gain.

Why would Legion not sell premium? "Hey, I want to play WoW. I'd rather play Vanilla than that Legion casual crap, so why buy the box on release? I'll just wait for a discount, or wait for it to be baked into the baseline game, 'cuz I'm at least a little smarter than a brick".

Why would the community split? Err... Legion and Legacy run in parallel for two years. It is now autumn 2018. Both versions of the game run out of content. Blizzard is about to release a new expansion. Who is it aimed at? Legacy players who are burned out with Naxx and expect a vanilla-like game, or the filthy casuals who are burned out with Legion and expect another set of artifacts and other Legion-like features?

Why would nostalgia ever wear off? Umm... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! No, you're right, it won't. Ever.... I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer this one seriously.

etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhVbhNLq7eY

yes they have redesigned... no nights, no weather effects, no more epic questlines (missing deplomat, videres elixir, onyxia questline, legend of stalvan, etc), no more die if you pull more than 2 mobs.. just a super linear, on rails, questing that you do with one button while pulling the whole zone...

yes the zone theme may not changed much, if at all, but all the rest have drastically changed...also where are the elite quests?