Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    Dude i don't know what to tell you. You think community is yelling in general chat for a group, forming up, exchanging a few pleasantries and killing mobs. Same shit happens everywhere in WoD. Just is less talking and more action now.

What you want is populated RP realms :P
    Either you are being deliberately obtuse, or you didn't experience pre-QoL-Galore WoW, where you actually had an identity on your server.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    so let me understand.. are you worrying that some of the current wow players may like vanilla more and chose to play Vanilla instead of the new "exciting" expansion? And I guess this is bad because you will have longer ques for LFR? Thats a valid concern, though I disagree with that approach...

Its like you wanna play with the dolls and ask your mama to "hide" the soccer ball, because some kids will go and play football instead..
    No, I personnaly don't care about sub number or players playing retail or what else. I'm playing with my friends and I don't do LFR. But saying it won't split the community is just false.

Relax, i'm not here to stab you in the feels, you don't have to be so agressive. And after that, you want a "better and nice community like the Nost one" ?

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    First, there is no "community" in WoW anymore, just a playerbase. And the playerbase has been split into realms from day one, so I don't see the problem here.
    Like it or not, there is a community. WE ARE a community.

Dude i don't know what to tell you. You think community is yelling in general chat for a group, forming up, exchanging a few pleasantries and killing mobs. Same shit happens everywhere in WoD. Just is less talking and more action now.

What you want is populated RP realms :P
    Community is to know the other players... To build friend lists and use them for grouping.. it is very clear that you dont know about communities, because no one was yelling in chat for a group... I wasn't even level 30 on my paladin in nostalrius and my Friend list was full.. I never had to use the chat to find group... I was using my guild and my friend list..

There were players that we did redrige elite quests together and 2 days after we meet again and do stockades.. etc. If you cannot understand what community mean and you think is the same as using the lfg tool and group with players from other server that you may not see them again, then really dont know what to say...
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Either you are being deliberately obtuse, or you didn't experience pre-QoL-Galore WoW, where you actually had an identity on your server.
    I was a Vanilla player. 11~ish years ago it wasn't always as magical as people make it seem. Sometimes you just formed up a group, said hey, and did the quests and disbanded.

Do you think a dissertation is require when forming a group with a backstory as to why everyone is there to quest and kill mobs? Come the fuck on. Some groups would chat but it was NOT like everquest when you had long down times between camps spawning and you stayed at a static point for hours at a time grinding mobs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Lol whatever dude, doing MC for the 50th is so totally fun. So is the 1-2 ability/autoattack dps rotations and shitty boss mechanics.

I digress, but I will never believe people who say Vanilla is better than current WoW. They are either lying, have no money, bored, or just have never played current WoW.

If you claim WotLK is better, you might have an argument. But I would still side with current WoW(minus WoD).
    I know I found frost mage in Classic very boring, but it was the required spec for raiding because the fire immunity of bosses. How can this be a good game design when you have 3 specs, but 1-2 are unplayable because of such things? It's not just a "fotm" thing but IMMUNITY to fire, the main damage source of one of the specs and also somehow important for arcane mages.

I was a Vanilla player. 11~ish years ago it wasn't always as magical as people make it seem. Sometimes you just formed up a group, said hey, and did the quests and disbanded.

Do you think a dissertation is require when forming a group with a backstory as to why everyone is there to quest and kill mobs? Come the fuck on. Some groups would chat but it was NOT like everquest when you had long down times between camps spawning and you stayed at a static point for hours at a time grinding mobs.
    Yeah, that's exactly the type of community that we had on Vanilla and what we are talking about. You truly are a 11ish old Vanilla Player, yeah. (It's okay to be honest, yo! Just sayin')

Deleted
    You think community is yelling in general chat for a group, forming up, exchanging a few pleasantries and killing mobs.
    No, you seem to think that is a "community". I'm talking about the types of real communities that formed in vanilla and TBC. Where you actually knew the people and guilds on your server, where you made real friends with players, some of which carried on beyond WoW and into the real world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who knows when and for how long the next content drought will last though. I imagine a year or so after Legion is out. I'm not sure I can put much faith in Blizz giving us more content or faster expansions yet until they deliver on that.

But if that somehow happens then the drought might not be there for those servers. But again I hella don't see that scenario happening.
    Content droughts have only gotten worse, even after they've promised on the record that it would be better for the last 2 (3?) expansions.
    There's this going around.

Not sure how biased it is, I didn't play during vanilla, but it does show that's it's only getting worse.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Community is to know the other players... To build friend lists and use them for grouping.. it is very clear that you dont know about communities, because no one was yelling in chat for a group... I wasn't even level 30 on my paladin in nostalrius and my Friend list was full.. I never had to use the chat to find group... I was using my guild and my friend list..

There were players that we did redrige elite quests together and 2 days after we meet again and do stockades.. etc. If you cannot understand what community mean and you think is the same as using the lfg tool and group with players from other server that you may not see them again, then really dont know what to say...
    Hey guess what. Nost is NOT Vanilla ~11 years ago. Same game in looks, not the same mindset and community that was fumbling around when the game was new.

Hell I've still got friends I made in Vanilla and a ton more in TBC that I play with to this day. Community much? I know I had it. Still groups would form with little talking and do a quest and disband in Vanilla. Maybe Nost is the magical land of faeries and dreams but you are wanting Blizz to open classic realms, it won't be Nost.

Deleted

Also this. I got plenty of social interaction in an RP context. Besides that, everything was just about tactics, who is doing what and when. Guild smalltalk is out of the equation, you can have this today just as well.

WoD have lost over 5 million subs, to the point blizzard decided to not report subs anymore.. and you believe that people will play with the dolls no matter what? I can perfectly follow the argument, but I cannot understand what makes you think that players will play with the dolls if there is no soccer ball...the facts show otherwise.

I will tell you what I honestly think will happen. Legacy servers will bring x people in that not playing wow anymore because they dont like current wow. There are also y players that like current wow and will not play on legacy servers.

There is a third group of players, the z team, that even if they dont like the direction blizzard take the game, they always buy the new expansion and play for a month or 2 (majority of WoD players, and this is where I am too).

When there is a new expansion or a major content patch, group z moves onto retail wow and play there. When there is a content drought, team z moves onto their legacy character. If there wasnt a legacy server, team z would just end their subscription until the next expansion.

So a legacy server, will bring a new playerbase, the playerbase x while at the same time, will keep playerbase z occupied and subscribed when there is a period of no content...
    You pretend that there will be little to no overlap between playerbases, which way too neat and convenient. Yes, Legacy realms could mean extra months of subscription, in theory. The main question is how significant this group is, and if there aren't simpler alternatives to reel this group in.

You probably hate timewalking, but for some nostalgics it might be enough, especially if it mixes old content with new rewards, and doesn't distract you from your main gameplay too much. This is a cheaper investment, much like dressing your dolls in little soccer jersey and letting you play table football.

The other question, of course, is how much would you be willing to play Vanilla. There is a point when you run out of content.... And current wow is not to your liking, so what then? Blizzard is in the same position it is in now relative to your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly the type of community that we had on Vanilla and what we are talking about. You truly are a 11ish old Vanilla Player, yeah. (It's okay to be honest, yo! Just sayin')
    I don't know what kind of proof I can give you. I'd be more than happy to link my account status from creation date and so on. I'd log on the game and show achievements, you'd just call me a bought account or some shit. Whatever narrative you need. Believe me or don't man, it does not change me. I played Vanilla when it was live, not a rehash in Nost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cirdanx View Post
    1. I don´t claim to speak for anyone. HotS is a minor game in a big sea of DotA2 and LoL. Blizzards game doesn´t matter at all.
    2. Proof? If HS is making them more money than anything else, a notion that is idiotic in itself, where are the numbers? Where is Blizzard boasting at their annual revenue to their share holders? You know...these people who matter to the company? The reailty is..that Blizzard NEVER released revenue data on HS alone. So much for the killer game.
    3. Because people critizie what they love, IF they care. Liking something doesn´t doesn´t mean it´s off the radar to valid critics. I know, considering your style of replying and your lack of arguments, you are a small kid...bear with me *patts head* you will understand one day...or not..i bet on not.
    4. Voicing an opinion. Right, nowherer did i say YOU can´t have a different opinion.
    "Problem is I feel only people who played in Vanilla should have a voice here. I see a lot of people who very obviously began playing in late Wrath or later throwing around their illogical points of view. Namely the guy a few pages back who was screaming that "Community never existed in Vanilla all it was is sitting trade spamming for a tank!" Although seriously, why are these people even weighing in? "
    5. You don´t know what i hate or not little kid. WoD was shit, it cost Blizzard half of their subs, at this point even more likely more. If you think that this is normal or that they will shake that off, you have no idea about real life.
    Nice to see that the typical nost dude when runing out of arguments calls the other "kid" again....and YOU wanna be takin serious?....

Learn to read my friends and read the annual reports.

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    No, you seem to think that is a "community". I'm talking about the types of real communities that formed in vanilla and TBC. Where you actually knew the people and guilds on your server, where you made real friends with players, some of which carried on beyond WoW and into the real world.
    Yeah the same kinds I made in Vanilla but it did not happen with every person I grouped with. Sometimes a group is just a quick group and you are out. You don't have a deep connection with everyone you group with. Holy hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwarth View Post
    No, I personnaly don't care about sub number or players playing retail or what else. I'm playing with my friends and I don't do LFR. But saying it won't split the community is just false.

Relax, i'm not here to stab you in the feels, you don't have to be so agressive. And after that, you want a "better and nice community like the Nost one" ?

Like it or not, there is a community. WE ARE a community.
    I apologize if I was aggressive, but after so many discussions on forums, I ve read so many things that I really cannot recognize any more, good intentions or not .

Anyway, I explained above why I think that the population will not get split:

I will tell you what I honestly think will happen. Legacy servers will bring x people in that not playing wow anymore because they dont like current wow. There are also y players that like current wow and will not play on legacy servers.

There is a third group of players, the z team, that even if they dont like the direction blizzard take the game, they always buy the new expansion and play for a month or 2 (majority of WoD players, and this is where I am too).

When there is a new expansion or a major content patch, group z moves onto retail wow and play there. When there is a content drought, team z moves onto their legacy character. If there wasnt a legacy server, team z would just end their subscription until the next expansion.

So a legacy server, will bring a new playerbase, the playerbase x while at the same time, will keep playerbase z occupied and subscribed when there is a period of no content...
    playerbase z, will just unsubscribe when it gets bored...is not 2004 anymore.. people nowdays have tons of options / MMOs to play. Look what happened with WoD.. more than half the players quit.. if there were legacy servers, many of them may have gone there for example, but that wouldnt mean that the population would be split... they wouldnt continue to play WoD eitherway.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Content droughts have only gotten worse, even after they've promised on the record that it would be better for the last 2 (3?) expansions.

Not sure how biased it is, I didn't play during vanilla, but it does show that's it's only getting worse.
    Aye which is no reason for me to think Legion will be much different. I think they'd really mis-step doing it yet again with a long content drought and an expansion taking forever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Also this. I got plenty of social interaction in an RP context. Besides that, everything was just about tactics, who is doing what and when. Guild smalltalk is out of the equation, you can have this today just as well.
    Yeah if they think the kind of community they are talking about would exist on Blizzard classic realms they might be in for a rude awakening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    Nice to see that the typical nost dude when runing out of arguments calls the other "kid" again....and YOU wanna be takin serious?....

Learn to read my friends and read the annual reports.
    It is the same shit just regurgitated. Some of us in the thread that actually played in Vanilla post our experiences in Vanilla and we get shit posted and called liars. It is funny as hell. They are comparing a Vanilla-LIKE experience in Nost to what the game was like ~11 years ago.

Even more ironic is the nost people that admit never playing actual vanilla and only experiencing it through Nost or other PS.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post

Vanilla to be fair, had a lot of development time but when it came out it required a lot of patches to fix bugs as well as bringing out the new dungeons/raids they had in the pipeline for some time. To give credit though it certainly felt back then that they were pumping out content. WoD on the flip side felt like a slugs pace compared.

TBC more closely follows the other expansions albiet on a better time frame for the end of the expansion "drought" as it were. I was happy with MoPs patch pacing until SoOs mega drought. That was a bit too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    You pretend that there will be little to no overlap between playerbases, which way too neat and convenient. Yes, Legacy realms could mean extra months of subscription, in theory. The main question is how significant this group is, and if there aren't simpler alternatives to reel this group in.

You probably hate timewalking, but for some nostalgics it might be enough, especially if it mixes old content with new rewards, and doesn't distract you from your main gameplay too much. This is a cheaper investment, much like dressing your dolls in little soccer jersey and letting you play table football.

The other question, of course, is how much would you be willing to play Vanilla. There is a point when you run out of content.... And current wow is not to your liking, so what then? Blizzard is in the same position it is in now relative to your group.
    I know that half the playerbase who quit WoD is significant. At the end I dont understand... if the group of players who will move legacy servers are a Significant part of the playerbase then why not let it be? They will chose what they like more to play? Is that really bad? Should they not have the option just because you dont like it? If the group is so significant, blizzard can merge more servers if needed and/or open free transfers...

and if there aren't simpler alternatives to reel this group in
    there are not... the 2 versions of wow, are so different right now, that is not a magical feature or 2 to reel in all those players...

Hey guess what. Nost is NOT Vanilla ~11 years ago. Same game in looks, not the same mindset and community that was fumbling around when the game was new.

Hell I've still got friends I made in Vanilla and a ton more in TBC that I play with to this day. Community much? I know I had it. Still groups would form with little talking and do a quest and disband in Vanilla. Maybe Nost is the magical land of faeries and dreams but you are wanting Blizz to open classic realms, it won't be Nost.
    I was also playing during vanilla and community was the same if not better...I dont understand why you think it was otherwise... I still play other MMOs with many of the friends I made in vanilla.. so what friends you made lately with the LFG tool and how many you know on your server?
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2016-04-21 at 03:48 PM.

I apologize if I was aggressive, but after so many discussions on forums, I ve read so many things that I really cannot recognize any more, good intentions or not .

Anyway, I explained above why I think that the population will not get split:

playerbase z, will just unsubscribe when it gets bored...is not 2004 anymore.. people nowdays have tons of options / MMOs to play. Look what happened with WoD.. more than half the players quit.. if there were legacy servers, many of them may have gone there for example, but that wouldnt mean that the population would be split... they wouldnt continue to play WoD eitherway.
    If it really works that way then it can be good. But it don't. Peoples are more complex than that. There isn't only two teams. I personnaly prefer the solutions where a team like the Nost one is licensed to run a Vanilla sub-based realm. The only thing bothering me about an official Legacy Realm run by Blizzard is the dev team being split between retail and legacy. All the points about bringing up the old code, adapt it to the new hardware / architecture / new battle.net are valid and I don't want them to delay content on Legion to do that. Content drought is already bad, don't make it worse.

I don't know what kind of proof I can give you. I'd be more than happy to link my account status from creation date and so on. I'd log on the game and show achievements, you'd just call me a bought account or some shit. Whatever narrative you need. Believe me or don't man, it does not change me. I played Vanilla when it was live, not a rehash in Nost.
    I don't require proof. Your cluelessness about Vanilla's "Community" says all that there is to be said about the subject.

People used to say "hey", team up and kill mobs and disband? Well, no shit. Next thing you going to tell me is that there were a**holes running around too?

Now, the people here who played Vanilla know exactly what would happen to those a**holes if they went public with it.

Also, I, at first, used to look up at the shadow priest that was in first place in my server's PvP leader-boards.
    And, as a Tank, I was approached to - and in return approached healers and good DPSers - to play with.

It was a forced community. Wanted to have a good time and fit in? Get out there and meet people, for you are going to rely on them and they better rely on you too - or you are screwed.

I would explain it further... but it really is something one can only understand after going through it themselves.