Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

NC High School opens indoor shooting range

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/20...ing-range.html

Members of the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program at a North Carolina high school reportedly will be able to practice shooting at the school’s indoor range.

WRAL reported the Smithfield-Selma High School JROTC opened its 1,200 square-foot, six-lane, indoor shooting range last week. The program paid for constructions with the help of donations from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

The cadets will practice shooting with Daisy pump air rifles, but must undergo extensive training before they can participate in the activities at the range.

"There’s a marksmanship safety test they have to take, and they have to get a 100 on it," Commander David Wegman told WRAL. "In addition to that, they have to sign a safety pledge, get permission from home and then finally demonstrate on the range that they know how to handle one of these air rifles safely."

Wegman insisted that the shooting range doesn’t pose a threat, despite the controversy surrounding gun violence and school shootings.

"The procedures that we have in place ensure that we do the same thing, the same way, every single time," he explained.

Only four JROTC cadets are currently trained to use the shooting range. Wegman hopes to have all seniors in the JROTC trained and certified by next fall.

This is really cool, i hope it expands and allows the teaching of proper firearms safety and handling, and basic shooting principles. Maybe even bring back High school level shooting teams and competitions.

Deleted
    This is good, they will see them as weapons and not as toys.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/20...ing-range.html

Members of the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program at a North Carolina high school reportedly will be able to practice shooting at the school’s indoor range.

WRAL reported the Smithfield-Selma High School JROTC opened its 1,200 square-foot, six-lane, indoor shooting range last week. The program paid for constructions with the help of donations from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

The cadets will practice shooting with Daisy pump air rifles, but must undergo extensive training before they can participate in the activities at the range.

"There’s a marksmanship safety test they have to take, and they have to get a 100 on it," Commander David Wegman told WRAL. "In addition to that, they have to sign a safety pledge, get permission from home and then finally demonstrate on the range that they know how to handle one of these air rifles safely."

Wegman insisted that the shooting range doesn’t pose a threat, despite the controversy surrounding gun violence and school shootings.

"The procedures that we have in place ensure that we do the same thing, the same way, every single time," he explained.

Only four JROTC cadets are currently trained to use the shooting range. Wegman hopes to have all seniors in the JROTC trained and certified by next fall.

This is really cool, i hope it expands and allows the teaching of proper firearms safety and handling, and basic shooting principles. Maybe even bring back High school level shooting teams and competitions.
    I wish my school had a shooting range. That sounds amazing.

And I agree 100%. We need to spread education of common sense firearm safety and shooting principles. We also need to de-mystify guns and eliminate the "guns are evil" narrative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    So long as this is the main thing they learn, its a good thing. I dont like it, but NC is pretty heavy on the guns. It seems to require some training (JROTC) which is something that could ease people who are against the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

And I agree 100%. We need to spread education of common sense firearm safety and shooting principles. We also need to de-mystify guns and eliminate the "guns are evil" narrative.
    Who the hell mystified guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    There are many kids who would excel at the shooting sports. Would give them a place to channel their energies and get them out of the house and away from the TV and computers.
    Personally i think firearms safety needs to be taught in elementary school. But this is a step in the right direction

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    So long as this is the main thing they learn, its a good thing. I dont like it, but NC is pretty heavy on the guns. It seems to require some training (JROTC) which is something that could ease people who are against the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Who the hell mystified guns?
    Hollywood, Rap and hip hop music and videos, video games etc etc

Such a clickbait title for what the story actually says. Junior ROTC members using pump compression pellet rifles is hardly news if not for the fact that it is on school property. That said, I fully agree that a class in gun safety should be offered to the young people in J-ROTC, but it should be a stepping stone for actual live fire range training, probably off-campus.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are many kids who would excel at the shooting sports. Would give them a place to channel their energies and get them out of the house and away from the TV and computers.
    Personally i think firearms safety needs to be taught in elementary school. But this is a step in the right direction

- - - Updated - - -

Hollywood, Rap and hip hop music and videos, video games etc etc
    Is anything that appears in those mediums mystified?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Good. America needs to educate people on firearms instead of having the kneejerk reaction of banning them.

10+ Year Old Account
    So long as their are Air Rifles, i'm ok with it. But if they had real, live ammunition, I would not be ok with this at all.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    So long as their are Air Rifles, i'm ok with it. But if they had real, live ammunition, I would not be ok with this at all.
    plus its for JROTC cadets. So its not like its random students.

Quote Originally Posted by beastmorph View Post
    Such a clickbait title for what the story actually says. Junior ROTC members using pump compression pellet rifles is hardly news if not for the fact that it is on school property. That said, I fully agree that a class in gun safety should be offered to the young people in J-ROTC, but it should be a stepping stone for actual live fire range training, probably off-campus.
    Air rifles are no joke, many air rifles are equivalent to a .22lr, there are even a few .50 cal ones. My father started me off on a Air rifle then moved up to .22lr

- - - Updated - - -

There are air rifles that are just as deadly as a conventional firearm

I'm ok with this. Teach gun safety while they're going through and make people more responsible with them in the future.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Air rifles are no joke, many air rifles are equivalent to a .22lr, there are even a few .50 cal ones. My father started me off on a Air rifle then moved up to .22lr

- - - Updated - - -

There are air rifles that are just as deadly as a conventional firearm
    Aren't the daisy air rifles less than 300fps muzzle velocity? Still potentially lethal, but a lot would have to go wrong for the lethality to happen.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Huh, we had that way long ago when I was in JROTC. Of course, ours was just a basement that had been converted into a makeshift range with masking tape marking different ranges. This was like 1999 and no one really got in a fuss about things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Aren't the daisy air rifles less than 300fps muzzle velocity? Still potentially lethal, but a lot would have to go wrong for the lethality to happen.
    You'll shoot your eye out.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by beastmorph View Post
    Exactly. Especially since this range is seems to be exclusively for JROTC members. This is no more noteworthy than a school having a driving range or a some archery targets.

so many people will turn this into a big deal. though this was a pretty standard normal thing when my father was growing up in the 50s.

of course here in america we choose not to educate people and instead tell them to fear things. kids know nothing about guns these days nor do they have respect for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    There are other manufacturers like GAMO. They are used for hunting anything from small game up to Deer. Some use Co2, simple are just a single pull lever break.

I could kill a person from 200 feet silently with my air rifle. Air guns are NOT toys.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post

I don't really consider hand guns and rifles to be in the same category.