Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yeah, because liberating many slaves, risking her life countless times to do so isn't something great and worthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boy the conspiracy theories (which by the way are forbidden topics here) are going wild with this.

I think the worst you can realistically get to is that this has a rather affirmative action slant to it -- a woman of color was chosen to get rid of the slate of dead white men. It's clear that other woman could easily have been argued to have deserved the honor more. However claiming that there is no reason to include her is also false.

At the end of the day this whole debate is ridiculous. I'm willing to be 90-95% of people objecting to this couldn't name the people on the bills today without google's help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    While I understand the removal of Andrew Jackson, not sure I agree about Tubman, I would have thought MLK would be the obvious choice
    Hasnt been dead long enough. Nobody should be on money until they have been dead at least 50 years, and preferably 100 years

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    But it wasn't about putting a black person on a bill, it was about putting a woman on a bill. Hence, MLK wasn't going to be considered.
    They shouldve picked a black transgendered lesbian to cover all the bases on one denomination. Although they shouldve just made a $3 bill for it

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    At the end of the day this whole debate is ridiculous. I'm willing to be 90-95% of people objecting to this couldn't name the people on the bills today without google's help.

So true. I doubt many knew who Harriet Tubman was before this whole debate either. With the current SJW craze and the removal of Southern Civil War leaders names and statues from Colleges and parks etcc.. I was wondering when/if they would get to Andrew Jackson. lol.

I dont find Tubman to be a bad choice, I just think they made an easy choice. It isnt like many people take the time to look at currency and learn about the people on them anyways, so its probably moot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamperica View Post
    We did a good series with all the states on quarters, so why not do it for important historical people?
    Having multiple bills of the same denomination causes major issues. Coins are easy, since they are identified by size & weight and there's no point in counterfeiting them since they cost more to make than their face value.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

100% am for removal of the Jackson, but why Harriet Tubman? She is mentioned in history books with the underground railroad and that's it. Her accomplishments, while great, do not sit with me as that befitting to the honor she is receiving. This seems to be a hysterical knee jerk reaction to the equality, feminist & race baiting MacArthur to appease them. To make this worse, that proposed picture is gruesome. Some painter needs to give her at least a presidential portrait for the bill.

I personally would have cast my vote for MLK. I just don't look at Harriet Tubman as a major influential figure of American history with the likes of the ranks she is joining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morislayer View Post
    She is mentioned in history books with the underground railroad and that's it.
    Sounds like you needed better history books...
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's great, personally. Harriet Tubman was an extraordinary woman, all things considered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Maybe the feds should stop being purposely sexist and racist for the sake of equality and wait until a African American or woman president actually does something great and is worthy of being put on money?
    See, this makes me think you know nothing about Harriet Tubman. That woman was a complete badass, and did some amazing things.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Sounds like you needed better history books...
    That's all my former public schooling spent on her. Has nothing to "my history books". Go advocate at a town meeting for better history books

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by morislayer View Post
    That's all my former public schooling spent on her. Has nothing to "my history books". Go advocate at a town meeting for better history books
    So your public schooling sucked. Okay, I think we can all relate to that. However, just because your public schooling was ass doesn't mean that Harriet Tubman wasn't an extraordinary woman for the times she lived in. She did a lot, and even if you just check out her Wikipedia entry, you'll find out more. It's not hard.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

more pandering, put her on the SNAP card.

I don't care who is on the $20 as long as it is worth $20.

Seeriously half of you don't know what Party Jackson belonged to or what he accomplished in life beyond being president.

The other half of you don't seem to know that Jackson is still going to be on the opposite side of the $20.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't care who is on the $20 as long as it is worth $20.

Seeriously half of you don't know what Party Jackson belonged to or what he accomplished in life beyond being president.

The other half of you don't seem to know that Jackson is still going to be on the opposite side of the $20.
    Hey, we can't let little things like facts get in the way of our outrage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvethirty View Post
    more pandering, put her on the SNAP card.
    Why a SNAP card? (BTW, those are controlled by the states, so I don't think that would work, but...) I'm just curious as to why she, in particular, should be on a SNAP card?
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Why a SNAP card? (BTW, those are controlled by the states, so I don't think that would work, but...) I'm just curious as to why she, in particular, should be on a SNAP card?
    Because being racist is fun for ignorant people. They always assume black people are on welfare but the truth is there are more people on welfare that are white than any other race in America. Snap is a card used for welfare distribution.

They also say shit like, "You should get government meat, powdered milk, cheese and peanut butter and not debit cards when the truth is debit cards are used because you don't have to spend money to produce foods and then distribute them across the country and instead you print a 2 cent plastic card and they go to the store and buy food which boosts the sales of food companies, increasing jobs and taxes. But you know those racists, stupid says as stupid does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    I will no longer be utilizing or accepting $20 dollar bills.
    Good, because you can be sued for not accepting american currency, I think ignorant people should be sued into bankruptcy.

I'd be happier if they just got rid of portraits altogether. Not sure why currency requires anyone's picture on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Good, because you can be sued for not accepting american currency...
    Which orifice did you pull that nonsense out of?

It's only illegal if you refuse it, in the United States, if it is being used to pay off a debt. Most common uses of currency are not debt related.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just let us vote on what we put on our money. I for one look forward to my $10 Commander Shepard bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    Just let us vote on what we put on our money. I for one look forward to my $10 Commander Shepard bill.
    "In god we trust" will be replaced with "We'll bang, ok?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone the Crow View Post
    Which orifice did you pull that nonsense out of?

It's only illegal if you refuse it, in the United States, if it is being used to pay off a debt. Most common uses of currency are not debt related.
    Well, the guy who says he won't accept $20 and won't use them is lying. If you buy something from me, I'm under no obligation to give you the change in the denomination you prefer. If someone comes in and pays $15 with a $100 bill, they're going to get change in $20s and if they don't like it, they can leave the $20s on the counter. Because I don't have enough money in smaller bills to do that kind of exchange.

On the other hand, if they want to do all their business in $10s and $5s, I will so take that crap because we're always short in those denominations.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't mind the historical significance but looks awful. I'd like to imagine that's not the only image of her they could have used.

Nvm, thought it was the official bill, glad to read it's just a rendering. They better make it look nice, all I care about.
    Last edited by Arganis; 2016-04-21 at 07:47 PM.
    Facilis Descensus Averno