Plot-twist scenes lose their values after watching too many times(NO SPOILERS)

I was playing Kotor 1 this morning and I've seen the most shocking plot-twist reveal in any video game. The scene was so good, I've watched this reveal over and over again, because the scene is so good, now I feel like this scene is... I don't know, regular. When I played this scene in this morning, I thought that Kotor 1 is the best game ever. The scene was so well executed, I thought about the scene for 5 hours until 1 hour ago. That was the time I rewatched the reveal couple of times. Now I have my doubts, because obviously I don't feel shocked everytime I see the scene and this feels bad.

Same thing happened when we get to see the big reveal in Twin Peaks. I thought that scene was so damn good, it's not fair to the other tv series. Then I watched it many times, the scene felt bad.

So, the moral of the story is, don't watch plot-twist scenes more than the first time.

Deleted
    Well that's the thing with surprises. It is a surprise until it isn't anymore.

Doesn't mean the reveal is bad. You just know what to expect.

Deleted
    It has more to do with all of your entertainment taste buds being stimulated to the point of being jaded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    It has more to do with all of your entertainment taste buds being stimulated to the point of being jaded.
    Because you touch your meat scepter too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    I think this is true, I can't remember the last time I was surprised by something. They had some reveals in Fallout 4 but I sort of knew they were coming.

And the way the internet is these days, it's hard to avoid spoilers. I was look for some help with fallout 4 on reddit and sure enough I hit a spoiler.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    Well that's the thing with surprises. It is a surprise until it isn't anymore.

Doesn't mean the reveal is bad. You just know what to expect.
    I think it's not just that. After seeing a seen too much, you remember the last time how you felt when you watched it. For example: When you saw the 1st time you felt shocked. You saw it the 2nd time and you see the all things that you've missed and you still remember how you felt the 1st time you've seen it. Then you see it over and over and over... Then you start to get sick of the scene. Maybe that applies to all the scenes in the world. When you see them too much, it will feel bad. You still remember how you felt the 1st time you've seen it, but you can't feel what you felt before.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Well, the Sixth Sense kinda loses it when watching it a second..or 5th time, too.

The point being?
    That's the point.
    No..I can never get enough of my favourite movies. Same would apply to my favourite game cutscenes
    Do you watch them 10 times in a row?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the Shyamalan Effect. When you know there's a twist coming, then it isn't shocking or surprising, and it loses all value as a trope. It's still a really useful tool, but it needs to be used sparingly, and the entire point of the story should revolve around that twist. It shouldn't just be a "surprise! I lied" kind of thing, it has to turn the entire story on its head.

One of the best examples I've ever seen in fiction is Matheson's I Am Legend. Don't go by the Will Smith movie; they did the ending in just about the most thoroughly incorrect way possible. If I had to pick the best twist I've seen in a video game, that would go to Spec Ops: The Line. Way moreso than KOTOR. KOTOR's "twist" is a "huh, NEAT" moment. And it's great. But Spec Ops: The Line's is a "holy fuck, everything I thought I knew is wrong" moment. And it's spectacularly foreshadowed the whole way through, IF you're paying attention.

A well-executed twist should make you question everything you've been through in the medium thus far. It isn't just a shock moment. Sixth Sense is a good twist. Nearly everything else I've seen by Shyamalan was not. I figured out The Village's twist within the first half hour, and then said "no, that's stupid." And then it was. Totally pointless and served no purpose to the story other than for the writer to go "AHA, I lied!"

Everything that is not done in moderation is bad. That said..I could watch Pacific Rim 10 times ina row and not get sick of it....
    You would get sick of it. Try to watch that movie or any movie 10 times in 1 day. You wouldn't be able to do it.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's the Shyamalan Effect. When you know there's a twist coming, then it isn't shocking or surprising, and it loses all value as a trope. It's still a really useful tool, but it needs to be used sparingly, and the entire point of the story should revolve around that twist. It shouldn't just be a "surprise! I lied" kind of thing, it has to turn the entire story on its head.

One of the best examples I've ever seen in fiction is Matheson's I Am Legend. Don't go by the Will Smith movie; they did the ending in just about the most thoroughly incorrect way possible. If I had to pick the best twist I've seen in a video game, that would go to Spec Ops: The Line. Way moreso than KOTOR. KOTOR's "twist" is a "huh, NEAT" moment. And it's great. But Spec Ops: The Line's is a "holy fuck, everything I thought I knew is wrong" moment. And it's spectacularly foreshadowed the whole way through, IF you're paying attention.

A well-executed twist should make you question everything you've been through in the medium thus far. It isn't just a shock moment. Sixth Sense is a good twist. Nearly everything else I've seen by Shyamalan was not. I figured out The Village's twist within the first half hour, and then said "no, that's stupid." And then it was. Totally pointless and served no purpose to the story other than for the writer to go "AHA, I lied!"
    Dude, Spec Ops: The Line might as well be renamed to "Moral Dilemma Simulator". That game had such a great plot. Playing it was like "meh, generic third-person shoo--HOLY CRAP WHAT JUST HAPPENED?"

As for movies, I'mma say Shutter Island is one of the few that really gave me that "holy fuck, everything I thought I knew is wrong" moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    I was playing Kotor 1 this morning and I've seen the most shocking plot-twist reveal in any video game. The scene was so good, I've watched this reveal over and over again, because the scene is so good, now I feel like this scene is... I don't know, regular. When I played this scene in this morning, I thought that Kotor 1 is the best game ever. The scene was so well executed, I thought about the scene for 5 hours until 1 hour ago. That was the time I rewatched the reveal couple of times. Now I have my doubts, because obviously I don't feel shocked everytime I see the scene and this feels bad.

Same thing happened when we get to see the big reveal in Twin Peaks. I thought that scene was so damn good, it's not fair to the other tv series. Then I watched it many times, the scene felt bad.

So, the moral of the story is, don't watch plot-twist scenes more than the first time.
    I've played through KotoR 1 like 20 times probably, and every time I genuinely enjoy that scene. Apparently, after the first time, the mystery was gone - but, you gotta admit, the scene is still pretty freaking spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Dude, Spec Ops: The Line might as well be renamed to "Moral Dilemma Simulator". That game had such a great plot. Playing it was like "meh, generic third-person shoo--HOLY CRAP WHAT JUST HAPPENED?"

As for movies, I'mma say Shutter Island is one of the few that really gave me that "holy fuck, everything I thought I knew is wrong" moment.
    yeh, Shutter Island and Fight Club. Those are the two that really stick out to me movie wise.

Usually movies (or games) that urge you to play it a 2nd time to know wtf is going on were good on delivering a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I've played through KotoR 1 like 20 times probably, and every time I genuinely enjoy that scene. Apparently, after the first time, the mystery was gone - but, you gotta admit, the scene is still pretty freaking spectacular.
    But I'm not talking about the whole playthrough and seeing 1 scene every time. I'm talking about repeating the same scene in a row.

The scene is superb, even if you know what's going to happen. It's like listening to a song which you love for 50-100 times. You'll get sick of it and you gotta wait for 2 weeks or smth to enjoy it again.

I watched "the burbs" back to back before, I love that movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felpacino View Post
    But I'm not talking about the whole playthrough and seeing 1 scene every time. I'm talking about repeating the same scene in a row.

The scene is superb, even if you know what's going to happen. It's like listening to a song which you love for 50-100 times. You'll get sick of it and you gotta wait for 2 weeks or smth to enjoy it again.
    Well, that's true, you lose sensibility to something after seeing/hearing/feeling it multiple times in a row. That's why I try to savor such scenes and delay rewatching them until I'm playing through the entire game again.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

I think a large part of the problem is that a lot of 'plot twists' end up being predictable simply because many stories insist on having the protagonists overcome all odds and somehow manage to prevail at the last possible second due to some convenient trait/object/sacrifice. I've always been drawn to stories that are more murky in terms of morality and boast sympathetic antagonists and flawed protagonists. In my opinion it makes things more unpredictable.