Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dark Tower series, although I've yet to get around to making another trip to the library to rent out their copy of "The Dark Tower VII" and continue where I left off. For now, I'm working my way through Michael Moorcock's "The Elric Saga".

I would like to get my hands on "A Game of Thrones", but the library never seems to carry every time I go there. I don't want to have to go to Barnes and Noble just to purchase a copy and, upon completion, I wind up hating it. It'd be a waste of money.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
    The Dark Tower series, although I've yet to get around to making another trip to the library to rent out their copy of "The Dark Tower VII" and continue where I left off. For now, I'm working my way through Michael Moorcock's "The Elric Saga".

I would like to get my hands on "A Game of Thrones", but the library never seems to carry every time I go there. I don't want to have to go to Barnes and Noble just to purchase a copy and, upon completion, I wind up hating it. It'd be a waste of money.
    Don't bother. I read the first book years ago, before there was any talk of a tv show. My summary:

opens with some smartalec getting killed by some kind of undead: not bad

then Politics x 2376237462378462378423678236236, interspersed with child abuse and incest

ends with a victim of sexual slavery nursing a baby dragon

/barf

Dresden Files... for the second time.

Elric is definitely the most influential of Moorcock's work, though I prefer the Corum saga bit more, personally.

As for Game of Thrones...can't you get a copy used cheap? I've got 2 Half Price Books within easy driving distance with tons of copies of it in stock, and you can get it on Amazon(in "very good" condition) for $4($.01+$3.99 shipping). I mean, $4 isn't that big a risk is it? You risk more than that anytime you go to the theater to see a movie you haven't seen before, or go out to a restaurant you've never eaten at before...

Deleted
    Currently reading the Sword Art Online: Progressive-Lightnovel-Series. It's basically the SAO Lightnovel but without the annoying time skips, with better character development and deeper insight into the world of Aincrad and the Gameplay of SAO. I love it! Absolutely recommended to everyone who liked the Anime/Mange/LN or everyone who's interested in a good read about VRMMORPGs gone bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awarth View Post
    Currently reading the Sword Art Online: Progressive-Lightnovel-Series. It's basically the SAO Lightnovel but without the annoying time skips, with better character development and deeper insight into the world of Aincrad and the Gameplay of SAO. I love it! Absolutely recommended to everyone who liked the Anime/Mange/LN or everyone who's interested in a good read about VRMMORPGs gone bad.
    Hmm... Now see I loved SAO, right up until they left SAO and it all went to shit in the new game.

Does the light novel fix much of that, or would you not recommend it to someone who wasn't a fan of how they handled the anime?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Eh... Not sure if it counts as a 'series' but I'm about 3/4 of the way through World of Warcraft:Illidan and I've read all the other WoW books too so... I guess that.
    In a similar vein, I'm currently working my way through the manga/comics.

I've read all the WoW books (illidan aside, not gotten that one yet).

Excluding those comics/manga for more typical book reading, the last series I read would be the entire Bond collection.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Hmm... Now see I loved SAO, right up until they left SAO and it all went to shit in the new game.

Does the light novel fix much of that, or would you not recommend it to someone who wasn't a fan of how they handled the anime?
    I agree with you totally (although I loved Season 2, especially the last story arc) I would've prefered if they stayed a little longer. Let's just say the first of two books that are currently available covers floor one and two in extreme depth, with 300 pages split between these two floors. The second one is a bit thinner and covers floor 3-5, from what I've heard (gonna start the second one tonight)
    So yeah, I'd recommend it, ESPECIALLY for those who didn't like the direction they took with the main story in Anime/Manga/Light Novel

10+ Year Old Account
    Excellent, I might just have to pick them up. My main complaint about SAO was the huge time skips, I wanted to know more about the different floors.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Last book I read was Daughter of Blood, part three of a series written by Helen Lowe.

Currently deciding on which of my James Patterson books to read next.

Last Series: The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
    Last Book: Too many to list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I'm reading the wheel of time series. This is my second attempt at it. It really slows down, and it's starting to be hard to care anymore.
    If you can get to the end it is totally worth it, in my opinion Brandon Sanderson did a brilliant job of wrapping it up nicely.

Last series I read was the Lensman books by E.E. "Doc" Smith. From what I can tell it has the first (or at least very early) examples of ancient aliens manipulating younger races over the course of their evolution as part of some greater struggle of "good" against "evil" (think of Vorlons/Shadows from Bab5,) the first suit of power armour, and the first galactic police force empowered and identified by a quasi-mystical artifact (Green Lantern/Nova Corps from DC/Marvel.) I'd call it a must-read for fans of modern sci-fi who want to see where a lot of inspiration has come from.

Reading it is a bit of a bizarre experience. It has all the requisite sci-fi super-tech like energy beams and force fields for combat and utility, and of course FTL travel, but it was written in the days before computers and electronics so everything is handled by engineers with slide-rules, spanners and grease (who usually celebrate a job well done with their favourite tobacco.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Elric is definitely the most influential of Moorcock's work, though I prefer the Corum saga bit more, personally.

As for Game of Thrones...can't you get a copy used cheap? I've got 2 Half Price Books within easy driving distance with tons of copies of it in stock, and you can get it on Amazon(in "very good" condition) for $4($.01+$3.99 shipping). I mean, $4 isn't that big a risk is it? You risk more than that anytime you go to the theater to see a movie you haven't seen before, or go out to a restaurant you've never eaten at before...
    Yeah, I could do that. There's a Half Price Books the next town over, but with the traffic it's a bit further out from the Barnes and Noble I usually frequent (that, and it's closer in regards to where I live). Plus, I've also started a new job as of recently so I'm the kind of person that won't spend the money unless I see something cheap, it's discounted, or something I really want.

As for ordering a copy, I've only done so on Barnes and Noble for a really cheap copy of Michael Swanwick's "The Iron Dragon's Daughter". Neither the store nor the library carries any of his books and are difficult to track down, so the best solution would be to purchase through the Marketplace from Ohio. Oh, I got the book, but it took a month just for it to arrive in the mail.

I suppose either option, ordering it online or purchasing in person, would suffice. That's fine. I do drive, but that in itself is a whole other can of worms I won't dare to open.

Currently reading the Corellian Trilogy, just finished Assault on Selonia.

As for ordering a copy, I've only done so on Barnes and Noble for a really cheap copy of Michael Swanwick's "The Iron Dragon's Daughter". Neither the store nor the library carries any of his books and are difficult to track down, so the best solution would be to purchase through the Marketplace from Ohio. Oh, I got the book, but it took a month just for it to arrive in the mail.
    I've ordered dozens of books from Amazon, the only ones that have taken more than a week to arrive are ones ordered from overseas. Those usually take 2-3 weeks.

Lord of the Rings, actual last BOOK I read was the Silmarillian
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Currentlyr eading the fourth book of the Pax Arcana series that was released just yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, I finally managed to get my hands on the library's copy of "A Game of Thrones" a couple days ago. I wonder now if it'll take another year or two for me to find "A Clash of Kings"; "A Storm of Swords" is almost always there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm.....

Does it have to the entirety of a series? And does it count if each book works as a standalone? If it doesn't need to be and it's okay respectively, then several of the Hercule Poirot Mystery novels. If that doesn't count, then I honestly can't remember which was the last full series of books I have read.