Did they just remove crit scaling on Chaos Bolt?

I must be blind I don't see warlock changes -.- lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Did they just remove crit scaling on Chaos Bolt?
    I don't think so... the tooltip ingame is not changed really...

Quote Originally Posted by Fearsom1992 View Post
    Bacon where do you see these lock changes i dont see any ;-; I mean tbh destro is really funnnnn in high gear lol
    The things I mentioned have been that way from the get go.

You can also just log into alpha.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    The things I mentioned have been that way from the get go.

You can also just log into alpha.
    man you got my hopes up -.- lol

10+ Year Old Account
    No change to the Chaos Bolt tooltip as far as I can see ingame... so I don't get it... where this change on front page is really...

Quote Originally Posted by Fearsom1992 View Post
    man you got my hopes up -.- lol
    For what?

10c

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    No change to the Chaos Bolt tooltip as far as I can see ingame... so I don't get it... where this change on front page is really...
    I'm guessing that's the attack cast by the single-attack portal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bio347 View Post
    Yes, that could actually be. This means Shadowbolt change is also to Dimensional Rift, which makes sense, because it is seriously strong now.

Quote Originally Posted by bio347 View Post
    That's going to be so ridiculously confusing every time they make changes because that's probably totally what it is.

I'm sure it's innacurate or I'm tripping but according to the front page info Chaosbolt lost its crit scaling and is now instant?

also: is anyone noticing any cool shenanigans now that CB is chaos damage? Do we go right through preist shields for example?

Never mind. I scrolled up and read that it's believed to be the portal CB.
    Last edited by Grizelda; 2016-04-22 at 12:03 AM.

The only thing 'special' about chaos damage is that it will always deal damage based on the school of damage that will have the most effect. That's it. It doesn't directly bypass all absorbs or immunities.

Let's pick a DK's Anti-Magic Shell. That absorbs magic damage only, however it has no effect on physical damage. So the chaos damage coefficient (or whatever you want to call it) sees the physical vulnerability and so the chaos damage deals damage equivalent to that. Similarly, the inverse is true for physical absorbs only - like Hand of Protection - and magic schools will be used to work out the damage dealt.

Another case is where something has either a vulnerability or a resistance to a certain school of damage. In the case of vulnerability - such as reduced armour/increased physical damage taken - the chaos damage will be worked out from that. In the case of resistance (eg: shadow resist), the chaos damage will be worked out from another school (eg: fire school).

It's a common misconception that chaos damage somehow breaks through everything, but that's not absolutely true
    Last edited by Esinar; 2016-04-22 at 12:21 AM.

For a little more solid confirmation: If you go and look at any Destruction logs from raid testing or whatever, you can see in the damage breakdown that there is both a Chaos Bolt and a Shadow Bolt originating from a Chaos Tear and Shadowy Tear entity, respectively. Interestingly, the third one (Chaos Barrage) is tied directly to the player.

It's a pretty terrible idea to name them that way, honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Esinar View Post
    The only thing 'special' about chaos damage is that it will always deal damaged based on the school of damage that will have the most effect. That's it. It doesn't directly bypass all absorbs or immunities.

Let's pick a DK's Anti-Magic Shell. That absorbs magic damage only, however it has no effect on physical damage. So the chaos damage coefficient (or whatever you want to call it) sees the physical vulnerability and so the chaos damage deals damage equivalent to that. Similarly, the inverse is true for physical absorbs only - like Hand of Protection - and magic schools will be used to work out the damage dealt.

Another case is where something has either a vulnerability or a resistance to a certain school of damage. In the case of vulnerability - such as reduced armour/increased physical damage taken - the chaos damage will be worked out from that. In the case of resistance (eg: shadow resist), the chaos damage will be worked out from another school (eg: fire school).

It's a common misconception that chaos damage somehow breaks through everything, but that's not absolutely true
    There is another important distinction, as far as I know - it will use any spelldamage modifiers you got... For example, our artifact has a baseline trait that increases Fire damage, it should also work on Chaos Bolt if I am not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    There is another important distinction, as far as I know - it will use any spelldamage modifiers you got... For example, our artifact has a baseline trait that increases Fire damage, it should also work on Chaos Bolt if I am not mistaken.
    Yup, exactly right. Picks the most effective damage modifiers that will yield the most damage of a particular school. So for the most part, our Chaos Bolt will probably be using the Fire school because of the trait that gives 6% Fire damage increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizelda View Post
    also: is anyone noticing any cool shenanigans now that CB is chaos damage? Do we go right through preist shields for example?
    Not priest shields, but it will bypass Anti Magic Shell, Cloak of Shadows, Hand of Protection, Divine Protection etc

Any defensive that only works on specific types of damage will be ignored by Chaos Bolt. General defensives will still affect it.

Those seems like some cool perks for chaos damage!

The only drawback is increased vulnerability on spell school lock out?

Pretty much, yeah. If you get chaos locked, you can't do anything. Not even autoattack.

On Live if you get kicked casting either Fear or Chaos Bolt, the other will be locked out (both Shadow schools), in Legion getting Fear kicked will still let you cast Chaos Bolt (but obviously not vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    On Live if you get kicked casting either Fear or Chaos Bolt, the other will be locked out (both Shadow schools), in Legion getting Fear kicked will still let you cast Chaos Bolt (but obviously not vice versa).
    That's actually a pretty helpful adjustment. This means we don't get fully kicked out of ALL our spells when we attempt to channel Drain life.