Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb The challenge of being a demon hunter.

Ok, let's get it out of the way - I quite enjoyed "World of Warcraft: Illidan". The timeline errors and poor editing don't rob the book of its charm, and while Illidan destined as a hero of the Light is disappointing, it doesn't suddenly make it a bad book.

The key aspect, however, is just how much content and context has been given to the RP community with regard to demon hunters, and the Illidari especially. We now have an awful lot to go on, which will undoubtedly help with creating your character.

My issue is that I think it will be much too challenging for the majority of people who attempt it, and 'good demon hunter RP' will actually mean 'woefully obvious God-moding' in the majority of cases. There is a lot to suggest that demon hunters are stronger than traditional heroes and, though that won't be the case with regard to tuning, I think the RP community is going to struggle with it. Even if you're careful when creating your character, it's hard to imagine that people will generally be sensitive toward characters that tear out their own eyes, flirt with madness, have a demonic internal monologue, and are driven by deeply affecting tragedy fuelled into vengeance.

So, here's the question:

How do YOU intend to manage it?

Interacting with other classes as little as possible. I think there's a lot of avenues for interesting "Do good deeds without being detected" RP with the demon hunters. With some warlocks and death knights, maybe rogues and some more morally-flexible warriors. Some more ill-repute classes. It's one of the few ways I think to properly play them, since I sincerely doubt that, unlike warlocks, they'd be able to hide their nature very well aside from transforming toys so you have a disguise. That'd be the only way I think to properly handle RP with other classes and even then you'd probably want to stay away from paladins.

So I don't get this book. He's rescued from his prison that he's been in for 10,000 years, So he never went to outland?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Interacting with other classes as little as possible.
    Aye, interacting with other classes is awkward. Worse, I’m not sure demon hunters would traditionally be in amongst other classes in the first place; some are more demon than elf, so it seems, which would lead to them being treated with little other than suspicion, fear and hatred.

Unfortunately, paladins are now an enigma given the Elder Naaru vision that was given to Illidan. I think that plot twist was a real shame, and may hint that demon hunters don’t really give everything up when they pick up the glaives; there is a chance for redemption.

I think there's a lot of avenues for interesting "Do good deeds without being detected" RP with the demon hunters.
    I hadn’t considered that, but it’s definitely true. Assuming you can properly play the moral ambiguity that goes with being a demon hunter, I think this could be a really consistent avenue of approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakred View Post
    So I don't get this book. He's rescued from his prison that he's been in for 10,000 years, So he never went to outland?
    The book tells the story that we already know, but from the perspective of Illidan himself, Maiev Shadowsong and Vandel the demon hunter. Everything happened as it did in the timeline we know, but the book concentrates on what Illidan was doing during The Burning Crusade and, more importantly, why he was doing it.

It all happens prior to Legion, and Legion will tell us the story of what happens to the Illidari after Illidan gave up his attempt to reach Argus in order to send them to Mardum and save their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviemore View Post
    Unfortunately, paladins are now an enigma given the Elder Naaru vision that was given to Illidan. I think that plot twist was a real shame, and may hint that demon hunters don’t really give everything up when they pick up the glaives; there is a chance for redemption.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into that. The Light isn't synonymous with the opposite of Fel magic. I took that line to be that he just becomes a force of good and champions the fight against the burning legion, rather than more or less a paladin. But then again I didn't read the book yet so there might be some context I am missing.. In either case, that's only in the future and it's unlikely that the paladins of today have gotten the memo, so I don't think they'd be chummy.

10+ Year Old Account
    In either case, that's only in the future and it's unlikely that the paladins of today have gotten the memo, so I don't think they'd be chummy.
    Mmm, true.

In the book, the Elder Naaru gives Illidan the touch of the Light and it implies that this is what saved him when he died atop the Black Temple.

Again, that's only known to Illidan though - as you say, it wouldn't matter much to anyone other than him.

Deleted
    May contain spoilers for Legion... And since I don't know how to make that spoiler black text thing, I'll just inform any readers of it here.

I intend to get around it by making a trainee, someone who was training and working their way up to the final parts of training when the demon hunters were either sent to Mardum, imprisoned by Maiev or killed. I'm gonna go with the imprisoned part of those choices, meaning my character still has yet to lose the eyes, try to withstand the craziness and tear out them eyes, and then when the demon hunters return and my character is saved along with many others and then being stuck in that deeply personal choice... Follow the demon hunters and finish the training or try to return to a normal life, though forever marked by the fel powers used during training and being fairly attached to those glaives, but they also serve as a constant reminder of what you've done and what you are.
    Last edited by mmoc661de564ba; 2016-04-19 at 08:38 AM.

Deleted
    I think Paladins and Light Priests would be on better terms with Demon Hunters than with Warlocks, Shadow Priests and Death Knights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthecrop View Post
    May contain spoilers for Legion... And since I don't know how to make that spoiler black text thing, I'll just inform any readers of it here.
    The usual tags, plus "spoiler".

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ra View Post
    I think Paladins and Light Priests would be on better terms with Demon Hunters than with Warlocks, Shadow Priests and Death Knights.
    Weeeell, Demon Hunters take things a lot further than most classes. I doubt Paladins and Light priests would get along better.
    A Shadow Priest indulges into territories dangerous to the mind, to draw in power. But those that fail to keep their minds functional for normal society don't find themselves with the Horde for long.
    The same goes for Warlocks. To be a warlock is a constant mental struggle. Fail to resist the demons, and soon you won't be the master, but the pawn. Fail to control your power, and the fel you wield will change your body and mind, tainted to demonic features.
    The struggle of the Death Knight is perhaps the most similar. They hunger for violence the way Demon Hunters hunger for fel energies. They walk a path of darkness for the greater good. The main difference is that Death Knights had no choice in becoming the way they are.

Demon Hunters willingly chose the path to mutate themselves, in return for the gifts that come along with it. They may struggle to resist their urges. But they are perhaps the darkest individuals so far, to be accepted as members of the Horde and Alliance.

Did the book say anything about if the strength of the demon whose heart the hunter eats effects the demon hunters power? Cause if its the case you could just rp the demon you killed was just an average/weak demon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Weeeell, Demon Hunters take things a lot further than most classes. I doubt Paladins and Light priests would get along better.
    A Shadow Priest indulges into territories dangerous to the mind, to draw in power. But those that fail to keep their minds functional for normal society don't find themselves with the Horde for long.
    The same goes for Warlocks. To be a warlock is a constant mental struggle. Fail to resist the demons, and soon you won't be the master, but the pawn. Fail to control your power, and the fel you wield will change your body and mind, tainted to demonic features.
    The struggle of the Death Knight is perhaps the most similar. They hunger for violence the way Demon Hunters hunger for fel energies. They walk a path of darkness for the greater good. The main difference is that Death Knights had no choice in becoming the way they are.

Demon Hunters willingly chose the path to mutate themselves, in return for the gifts that come along with it. They may struggle to resist their urges. But they are perhaps the darkest individuals so far, to be accepted as members of the Horde and Alliance.
    Yeah, but Demon Hunters do all of that just to fight the burning Legion. Most Warlocks and Shadow Priests gain their Power just for power.

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Did the book say anything about if the strength of the demon whose heart the hunter eats effects the demon hunters power? Cause if its the case you could just rp the demon you killed was just an average/weak demon.
    The strength, or even the type, of the demon doesn't seem to matter. The character you follow in the book faces a Felhunter demon (the hounds with the spikes and fel suckers), which seems mostly because Illidan knows he faced that kind of demon before, as it killed his family.

The demon's flesh and essence becomes a part of you. Manifests itself as your darker instincts, ever driving you to give in to the demonic desires and instincts that are now a part of you, as you draw upon its powers.

But of the original demon there seems to remain little. It's essence may be the base of the corruption that grows within your body and soul, a powerful demonic presence. But should it overwhelm you, the result will be a demonic you. The entity that was the original demon has been consumed.

At least, that's what it seemed like to me, reading the book.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Demon Hunters willingly chose the path to mutate themselves, in return for the gifts that come along with it.
    But did they choose it? I’m not so sure. The way Vandel tells the story, he had no idea about what was required and certainly didn’t expect to be eating a demonic heart and drinking its blood. It also implied that Illidan wasn’t really into giving much of a choice.

Sure, it was still technically the individual’s choice. But how many would have went to the Black Temple had they known what was involved?

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    It makes no mention of it whatsoever, but I think that’s an issue with the writing rather than a canonical stance to take.

Personally, I think taking on some characteristics of the demon itself is entirely appropriately. My biggest worry is that players start using doomguards and pit lords rather than the far more realistic choices.

My advice is to stick with warlock pets. Even using a Felguard is a bit much to my mind

Just too high a chance for godmoding.

The challenge to role play a demon hunter will be getting past being an ugly, stinky elf thing of any kind.

*wretch*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    The challenge to role play a demon hunter will be getting past being an ugly, stinky elf thing of any kind.

*wretch*
    Lolz, yeah. I get your point. :P

It's basically another DK, they follow the same rules. Heck, even paladin follows the 'hero class' concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    It's basically another DK, they follow the same rules. Heck, even paladin follows the 'hero class' concept.
    I don't agree. Demon hunters have a substantial difference to death knights, in that their condition was a choice. When you consider that, the problems that led them to make that choice, and that the consumption of a demon will play a part in their backstory, then there's a lot more to it.

I was tempted to mention warlock but refrained for some reason, but there it is. The warlock aspect. Warlocks do exactly the same, and it's generally apparent that any sufficiently powerful warlock shows even if they don't want to. The only difference here is while a demon hunter is more obvious, their choice is more selfless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

While other classes might be apprehensive the important part is in the name - demon hunter. This is the largest legion assault Azeroth has ever had to deal with; and its exactly what we've been trained for. Who better to help other classes prepare, train, and overcome the legion than someone with extensive knowledge of demons and fel magics?