Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    While Wood isn't too much known outside the UK, Rickman is an international movie star.. Orlong just being his usual self lol
    I find his faux ignorance kind of tiresome, the joke has worn thin long ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ive seen several of those movies but dont recognize the name. Was he an extra in the background maybe?
    now you're just trying to sound edgy... You don't have the intelligence to pull that off successfully lol
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I should clarify that nobody outside the UK heard of Alan Rickman or Victoria Wood. They just werent good enough to be in big Hollywood Blockbusters. My guess is they are UK Reality TV stars or something
    just because U dont know him... Alan Rickman is well known outside of the UK for Snape in Harry Potter , Gruber (Villian) in Die Hard 1 , even Robin Hood prince of thieves .. and ya im not from UK

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I know right...

10+ Year Old Account
    I love how the article talks about significant celebrity deaths and then mentions people that nobody heard of like Victoria Wood and Alan Rickman, and then leave off people like Balls Mahoney, Rob Ford, Iron Mike Sharpe, Angus Scrimm, and Dan Haggerty that are well known
    >Alan Rickman
    >Nobody knows

Have you been living under a rock? Is magic heresy to you? Does Snape not ring a bell?

Deleted
    Maybe I should clarify that nobody outside the UK heard of Alan Rickman or Victoria Wood. They just werent good enough to be in big Hollywood Blockbusters. My guess is they are UK Reality TV stars or something
    Wow....seriously, wow. That's all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hargalaten View Post
    At least we still have celebs like Kim Kardashian and Kanye West.
    *news reporter voice*

"...and more tragic news from the music industry; Kanye West was found alive and well in his home today..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaell View Post
    *news reporter voice*

"...and more tragic news from the music industry; Kanye West was found alive and well in his home today..."
    thanks for the laugh.
    that was good.

Guess you never watched Harry Potter since it's one of the biggest movies Rickman has ever been in in American media.
    Ive seen several of those movies but dont recognize the name. Was he an extra in the background maybe?
    Severus Snape unless you don't know who that is either.

Yeah he was only the principal antagonist on Die Hard. When people talk about Die Hard one of the things they talk about how Alan Rickman set the bar for action movie villains. Clearly an extra.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Just a matter of mass media. TV started exploding in the late 70s and early 80s (I only had access to 4 TV channels until 1980 where I lived...ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS) due to cable. A dramatic uptick in movies being released each year started in the early 80s. The concept of a summer blockbuster only started in 1975 and was solidly reinforced in 1977.

Basically, there were a lot more people put into the spotlight starting about 40 years ago, a lot more avenues were opened up for people to get exposed to those celebrities, and those people are simply getting old enough to start dying. And, now when a celebrity dies, it goes viral across many social media platforms...which translates to the traditional media outlets (since they are lazy anyways). This is going to continue by virtue of that knowledge being so readily available and the lack of real journalism in the US.

I agree with Orlong. Never heard of Rickman. Buuut I've also never gave a shit about Harry Potter so.... Was he in all 8 movies?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    I agree with Orlong. Never heard of Rickman. Buuut I've also never gave a shit about Harry Potter so.... Was he in all 8 movies?
    Rickman was in all Potter movies, yes.
    And some other big ones.
    http://fortune.com/2016/01/14/these-...x-office-hits/

I love how the article talks about significant celebrity deaths and then mentions people that nobody heard of like Victoria Wood and Alan Rickman, and then leave off people like Balls Mahoney, Rob Ford, Iron Mike Sharpe, Angus Scrimm, and Dan Haggerty that are well known
    You've never heard of alan rickman?

Huh
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Stood in the Fire Grand Phoenix's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People die all the time. Some time precedence over others, like big names and famous celebrities. You only hear about this more often now because of social media.

I'm more annoyed about people saying things like "2016 is FIRED" (whatever that means) or "that's enough", "give it a break already" or even post those memes where the office guy says it'd be great if George R.R. Martin stopped killing off people in 2016. That's just life. You can mourn and reflect and what-not, but death's just going to keep happening regardless of what year it is. 2016 is no different from, say, 2015 and 2014; any other year, really.

it may not exactly be in 2016, i mean december 28 is still pretty close give or take but how has nobody mentioned lemmy the most influential person to the rock genre that has died in recent times

Deleted
    It's almost like it's a British article and you listed names nobody outside America would know

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    It's almost like it's a British article and you listed names nobody outside America would know
    To be fair..most Americans wouldn't know 60% of what he listed either.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    While I have heard of most of the people you listed, I think Alan Rickman is more famous than all of them. Victoria Wood may not be very famous outside of Great Britain, but Rickman is an iconic Hollywood actor.

[Edit: Okay, I think I got fooled by a troll. *facepalm*]
    Last edited by Kaeth; 2016-04-22 at 06:04 PM.

Deleted
    Google Alan Rickman then look embarrassed

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I don't know why I even bite