Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    This is how I Took it as well but he's saying we're being hypocritical which does make sense. We're saying stop playing on vanilla and play live while we are not doing the same with our OS. It is a valid point.
    Completely valid point until you add in the fact that Windows 7 and 8 will at some point stop being supported by Microsoft just like XP and Vista. At that point, someone like me still on 7 would not "cost" ressources at Microsoft. The problem the anti legacy people have is that it would cost ressources from Blizzard that would theoretically be taken from the live team. These ressources would never be released back into the live version of the game.

The pro side seems to think you can just open up servers and there you go free money coming in. That is not true at all. That is why I believe the best course of action here for blizz would be to actually "rent" out their IP to guys like the Nost crew. At that point it does become a free money machine because they don't need to support it. There are a host of problems associated with that like making sure not to get out competed by the renters but that is an other topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewsco View Post
    Except using that isn't illega. I have seen next to no one here that is 100% against legacy servers. Most are just against/annoyed with th private server people not realizing or accepting that what they did was illegal and being shut down was a consequence. Also not being able to accept that blizz is saying no for now and are claiming it would be profitable with zero facts. If just one person could show a true business plan that proves this would be a profitable endevor for blizz and not just use opinions it be nice
    I'd say the amount of people trolling this thread and just riling up the Pro-Legacy Servers are even more than the few that don't see anything wrong with Illegal Private Servers.

And it's okay to have an opinion that directly opposes an idea, obviously. What's it's not okay is to troll the other side with remarks similar to "Oh, but now you can't play, can you? bahaha"

Regarding expecting one side to show "a true business plan", surprise, no one here can.
    Saying "I think there is a profit in it" is exactly the same - and as valid as - "I don't think there is a profit in it", since they are both opinions and that's all we can provide. As we are not working for Activision-Blizzard, therefore we don't know the real numbers, costs, statistics, the list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    I have not seen a single person here or anywhere else claim that.
    While it's a minority of posts, a lot of the oneshot posters have said such things here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    At some point blizzard will have to start tailing off WoW. It will need less developers & so on. As an intermediate before their next big thing picks up (titan 2.0?) it could legitimately be worth putting the time into something like old wow servers as a stopgap, just needs an answer on maintaining support on it. Oh and that everyone would have to pay.
    Maybe but we're not at that point yet though. Not likely to be there for quite a while.

I have not seen a single person here or anywhere else claim that.
    Where have you been? Countless posts say it wasn't illegal at all and we have pages of arguements over IP. Next some say that since blizz won't give them legacy servers it is alright for them to do it. Have you missed all of this? Or are you being blissfully it ignorant?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    I'd say the amount of people trolling this thread and just riling up the Pro-Legacy Servers are even more than the few that don't see anything wrong with Illegal Private Servers.

And it's okay to have an opinion that directly opposes an idea, obviously. What's it's not okay is to troll the other side with remarks similar to "Oh, but now you can't play, can you? bahaha"

Regarding expecting one side to show "a true business plan", surprise, no one here can.
    Saying "I think there is a profit in it" is exactly the same - and as valid as - "I don't think there is a profit in it", since they are both opinions and that's all we can provide. As we are not working for Activision-Blizzard, therefore we don't know the real numbers, costs, statistics, the list goes on.
    So then we should probably take blizz's word on it then? Since anything said here is just conjecture right? The thing I like best in one breath they talk about greedy money hungry blizz then in the next breath say blizz is passing on a highly profitable endevor. Which is it? It can't be both?

So then we should probably take blizz's word on it then? Since anything said here is just conjecture right? The thing I like best in one breath they talk about greedy money hungry blizz then in the next breath say blizz is passing on a highly profitable endevor. Which is it? It can't be both?
    Did you take their word on the No-Flying issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    wonder what Nostralius supporters are going to do at blizzcon. great opportunity to force a comment and get some main stream attention.

no matter where you fall on the spectrum I am amazed blizzard has not said anything. fans of Nostralius are fans of wow also. 217000 signatures is a lot.

wonder how many subs they lost. I am just one person and I know a number of people who,have cancelled their sub. which largely sat unused anyways
    I can see them starting a trend of asking at every Q&A about legacy servers. People would jump on the bandwagon that aren't involved/don't really care and still ask about it at the end of their actual question.

Deleted
    Where have you been? Countless posts say it wasn't illegal at all and we pages of arguements over IP.
    The only argument I've seen is that some people say the server might not have contained anything directly copied from Blizzard, in which case they were not infringing on copyrights (which is true for the code, at least). Most people seem to think they did extract something directly from the client, and hence they infringed on the copyrights. I haven't seen anyone claim that Nost both a) contained Blizzard copyrighted material, and b) it was legal to do so. Perhaps you've just failed to actually understand the arguments being made (which you have a track record in doing).

Next some say that since blizz won't give them legacy servers it is alright for them to do it.
    This I agree with. Blizzard has made it abundantly clear that they have no intention of creating legacy servers, so why go after fans that put in the effort to create vanilla servers themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Did you take their word on the No-Flying issue?
    They strung us along and lied in that one. They never from the start said no instead said later until on a Friday of a holiday weekend on a third party site next to no one heard of said no. Took them less than 2 weeks to back track in that too.

Most important part is that flying cost them or us any money. Starting up legacy servers does entail money to do so. Also entails people willing to pay for it. Flying didn't include that. Never forget how important money is in all things.

The thing I like best in one breath they talk about greedy money hungry blizz then in the next breath say blizz is passing on a highly profitable endevor. Which is it? It can't be both?
    Obviously both of these can be true (not saying they are). All that is required for this to be true is a failiure to realize that a particular venture is profitable.

in the end they will probably announce something and use the catch-phrase soonTM and it will happen in 5 years lmao

They strung us along and lied in that one. They never from the start said no instead said later until on a Friday of a holiday weekend on a third party site next to no one heard of said no. Took them less than 2 weeks to back track in that too.

Most important part is that flying cost them or us any money. Starting up legacy servers does entail money to do so. Also entails people willing to pay for it. Flying didn't include that. Never forget how important money is in all things.
    It in fact does take money (hence the illegal part of what happened with accepting donations to keep servers running, i.e. making money on another company's property), as well as manpower and time. Things that take away from current and future xpacs and possibly even other games Blizzard is working on. I have another post in this forum detailing exactly that situation #19829. I've never said it wouldn't be profitable or it would, but I detailed some thing people are t considering in their arguements (for or against Legacy), and said its up to Blizzard to determine if the risk would be offset by the reward.

The only argument I've seen is that some people say the server might not have contained anything directly copied from Blizzard, in which case they were not infringing on copyrights (which is true for the code, at least). Most people seem to think they did extract something directly from the client, and hence they infringed on the copyrights. I haven't seen anyone claim that Nost both a) contained Blizzard copyrighted material, and b) it was legal to do so. Perhaps you've just failed to actually understand the arguments being made (which you have a track record in doing).

This I agree with. Blizzard has made it abundantly clear that they have no intention of creating legacy servers, so why go after fans that put in the effort to create vanilla servers themselves?

Oh I see you are starting a fight. You did miss then that the arguements were debating wether what nost was doing was illegal. Not matter what blizz owns the IP to their art work, quests, raids etc... Did nost use anything different or exactly what was blizz's?
    If not illegal why was it shut down then? No matter how they did it they were using what blizz made period. At least if they named things differently or changed the art work a bit they might have been left alone.
    But they didn't they made thier site a copy of wow and any money made no matter for what use is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by lakylog View Post
    I'm not going to comment on people who are pro-legacy servers, people who don't want them, or people who don't care if they exist or not.

I am, however, going to comment on people who are anti-legacy servers, which there seems to be no logical base to have as an opinion, with this: I bet the majority of you are still on Windows 7 or 8. I said it.
    This post kills me. "I'm not going to comment on people who are pro-Legacy, people who are against them........I am however going to comment on the people who are anti-Legacy." Please, not trolling, but seriously think of what you typed before hitting Submit.

Deleted
    this fucking thread

is it the biggest on mmoc so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Fokstar View Post
    I do not believe that this discussion is about who is wrong or right.
    Interesting way to show that considering you perceive the closure as a dickmove.
    Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    Or just hire the guys behind the "best" / "most visited" Servers and let their stuff do, it's so easy.
    No it's not. For the hundredth time they don't want their brand associated with some pleb setting up a potentially flawed server in his basement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stevorino View Post
    this fucking thread

Not even close ;D

Even the current Alpha/Beta hype train thread is almost 4x larger ;]

Quote Originally Posted by stevorino View Post
    this fucking thread

There's just too much going on for it to end quickly. First was the 200 pages on why it's illegal or not, then about 700 pages of people going back and forth "Legacy servers! Give them, yay!" and "Legacy sucks, go play something else!" with about 100 pages of actual sound comments from both sides.

Because it's illegal.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    This post kills me. "I'm not going to comment on people who are pro-Legacy, people who are against them........I am however going to comment on the people who are anti-Legacy." Please, not trolling, but seriously think of what you typed before hitting Submit.
    Let's create the assumption that I am very stupid and actually thought before I hit submit, but I still didn't see what you are implying? Please go into specifics as if I am 5 years old.