Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    This bus left the station a long time ago.
    Its because the political right has lost the millennial generation (the majority of them anyway) who are fundamentally opposed to the ideology of the right. As a result the right are in demographic decline and will lose their premier position in society. So they have cast around for someone to blame (it can't be the epic failure of their ideology of course!) and the scapegoat they have found is the education system. Yes, its all those damn liberuuls infesting the education system who are indoctrinating the young. It then spread from there so just about anything the right disagree with is the fault of SJW's.
    Last edited by alexw; 2016-04-22 at 05:24 PM.

I suppose it's kind of unavoidable that everyone talks in buzzwords these days, but it's still annoying. Coming up with an original thought is difficult, but it's worth it to at least try. Don't just trot out the same old copypasta arguments that are plastered all over the internet these days and expect to change anyone's mind.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Its because the political right has lost the millennial generation (the majority of them anyway) who are fundamentally opposed to the ideology of the right. As a result the right are in demographic decline and will lose their premier position in society. So they have cast around for someone to blame (it can't be the epic failure of their ideology of course!) and the scapegoat they have found is the education system. Yes, its all those damn liberuuls infesting the education system who are indoctrinating the young.
    Ok, lets take a step back and not pretend like there isn't something wrong. Both sides can be wrong, this isn't Star Wars with a light side and a dark side.

Any label used on the internet is going to be overused and used way beyond the original definition of the word.

SJW, neckbeard, cuck, misogynist, faggot, beta, libtard, nazi, troll, all of these sorts of words. They've all been used beyond the point where they mean anything any more.

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Its because the political right has lost the millennial generation (the majority of them anyway) who are fundamentally opposed to the ideology of the right. As a result the right are in demographic decline and will lose their premier position in society. So they have cast around for someone to blame (it can't be the epic failure of their ideology of course!) and the scapegoat they have found is the education system. Yes, its all those damn liberuuls infesting the education system who are indoctrinating the young.
    Not liking SJW's doesn't make you right wing. I am left wing on most issues. I cannot stand ideologies that are authoritarian, and also hate me just because I exist. This is not a right wing stance.

And the education system part, there are some worrying aspects in the humanities, namely a lack of political diversity, and indoctrination, whereby students are often not given the history, theory etc behind left and right wing ideas, educated on the arguments for and against, encouraged to form their own, and ultimately make their own minds up about what they agree with, a very certain set of ideas are pushed forward, strongly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Any label used on the internet is going to be overused and used way beyond the original definition of the word.

SJW, neckbeard, cuck, misogynist, faggot, beta, libtard, nazi, troll, all of these sorts of words. They've all been used beyond the point where they mean anything any more.
    Sperg still has some punch to it. I do like whipping out the ol' sperg now and then. Troll has beyond lost any and all meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Not liking SJW's doesn't make you right wing. I am left wing on most issues. I cannot stand ideologies that are authoritarian, and also hate me just because I exist. This is not a right wing stance.

And the education system part, there are some worrying aspects in the humanities, namely a lack of political diversity, and indoctrination, whereby students are often not given the history, theory etc behind left and right wing ideas, educated on the arguments for and against, encouraged to form their own, and ultimately make their own minds up about what they agree with, a very certain set of ideas are pushed forward, strongly.
    The thing is that on the internet, most people are only anti-authoritarian to the extent that they oppose anything that restricts THEIR freedom of expression, but are perfectly fine with arbitrarily silencing others. It's not really a matter of left or right wing ideology here, it's just a bunch of immature man-children who can dish it out but can't take it.

Its the popular bandwagon thing to hate right now. People need to get their internet points.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every SJW thread is a circle jerk thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Troll has beyond lost any and all meaning.
    Entering the vocabulary of the mainstream press seems to have had a big hand in that.

The press largely doesn't know the difference between trolling, flaming, and harassment. So they use trolling and harassment interchangeably and just don't seem to know the word flaming.

Agreed op.

I've seen it being used in cases comparable to KKK hanging blacks and the person being called a "SJW" for being against it.

I think this is a symptom of the current wide spread news information generation where hyperbole and over broad definitions for words with niche meanings get tossed around like dough at a pizza joint. SJW now gets used for anyone with a progressive social idea, it is like calling every republican a Tea Party member, or ever christian evangelical, or every Muslim a jihadist. It is a shitty symptom of people who want to pretend to know things, but not actually bother learning the meaning of the words they are using.

There is so much middle ground, grey area, and rational people with ideas out there that get dismissed under these hyperbolic titles and boxes that folks want to toss around. Hopefully as time passes people will actually try and use labels and terms correctly since the information is right at your finger tips, but we will see.

This era of hyperbolic, sarcastic and apathetic people has to start a decline soon, or so I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Ok, lets take a step back and not pretend like there isn't something wrong. Both sides can be wrong, this isn't Star Wars with a light side and a dark side.
    Agreed neither side is perfect. Yet that doesn't negate the fact that it is the political right's loss of its ability to set cultural norms, which is giving rise to them labeling everything they don't like as coming from SJW's. They need a target to blame as SJW's are it.

In reality we are a rapidly advancing technological society that is globalized and connected as never before. That is and will shatter all the old cultural norms. No longer are gays someone you will never hear from or about. No longer will you never see or hear from those different culturally to you. No longer are these people "other". We have on this board, what? Americans? Russians? British? Swedes? Danes? Germans? Some from the middle east too? All this and more means millennials have substantially different cultural norms than their parents generation, and their socially conservative parents generation are enraged by all of it. Hence the screams of rage about SJW's.

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    Entering the vocabulary of the mainstream press seems to have had a big hand in that.

The press largely doesn't know the difference between trolling, flaming, and harassment. So they use trolling and harassment interchangeably and just don't seem to know the word flaming.
    Agree on this big time. Trolling is definitely something totally misunderstood by the media and general public. Trolling is like being sarcastic in public for the most part, you are doing it for a laugh, mean nothing by it, but people can't seem to understand the difference between being trolled and really having someone insult you or hold a crazy opinion. It is like watching someone miss something obviously sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The thing is that on the internet, most people are only anti-authoritarian to the extent that they oppose anything that restricts THEIR freedom of expression, but are perfectly fine with arbitrarily silencing others. It's not really a matter of left or right wing ideology here, it's just a bunch of immature man-children who can dish it out but can't take it.
    This is one of my gripes with these kind of people, and I assume, by your post, you. Immaturity is a male characteristic. Considering that many on the authoritarian left are female, and who seek to silence others, I find this an odd statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Deleted
    SJW is just another baseless buzzword /thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Have any of you met a Social Justice Warrior in real life? I bet you haven't - would you like to know why? The idea behind SJW's was a concept that made sense when it came out, fighting for equality, and all this shit at least had a meaning. Now the idea behind it is so convoluted that it basically means ANYTHING that is against the Far Right Wing.

So you have these stupid mother fuckers posting super left and super right shit which is both a load of shit to begin with, and all the rest of us are stuck in the middle dealing with blanket names like Libtard, and Staunch Right Republican.

Here's what I think should happen.. people should just stop circle jerking themselves, and get out in the real world and make a damn difference. Stop acting like everyone is against you, and start moving forward. Live life like today's the last day, and as always, watch your six.

Its not that there are SJW's or that they do or do not deserve to be called SJW, the damned term is getting used on everything that has nothing to do with SJW. Last week someone was blaming not being able to log into a game on SJW when the problem was that they always turn off the servers at that time of day.

Yes, people are using the term too much to be the culprit behind everything, its the new 'filthy casual'.
    Last edited by DeadmanWalking; 2016-04-22 at 05:54 PM.

To clarify, SJWs clearly exist and this thread is not supposed to be a conservative hate thread either.

The thing is that I've noticed some subjects that would make a Klansman in modern day a bit nervous and people being called SJWs for standing against it.

This doesn't mean I believe in cultural appropriation, or the patriarchy or anything else of that brand of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    This is one of my gripes with these kind of people, and I assume, by your post, you. Immaturity is a male characteristic. Considering that many on the authoritarian left are female, and who seek to silence others, I find this an odd statement.
    I'll make sure to include a trigger warning next time.