Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Crooked politicians, gang violence, poverty, a general lack of values, kids are essentially "corrupted" at an early aged and doomed to repeat the cycle... take your pick. The irony is that Chicago still has a lot of nice parts, the whole thing isn't a shit hole but the bad parts are extremely dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Killings done with guns has nothing to do with guns? Very interesting logic there.
    Not if the cause is gang violence and drugs. Then it is more about that then the weapon chosen to do the violence.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Your sort always focuses on the gun.

If 10 people are killing 10 other people, I want to know why they are killing the other 10. I really don't care HOW they are killing them, but WHY they are killing them.

Blame the user, not the tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Not if the cause is gang violence and drugs. Then it is more about that then the weapon chosen to do the violence.
    Why are they using the guns then, if the weapon of choice does not matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Murder is against the law and yet people still get murdered all the time, guess we should just remove the law because fuck, criminals will do it anyway amirite?
    Liberal troll logic
    Make drugs legal because people will find ways to get drugs even when they're illegal.
    Ban guns and it will stop the shooting!

Why have laws at all then? It definite wont stop them when in the next state they get them legally. Think.
    You can not go to another state and just buy a gun with out of state ID easily. And they stil have to pass background checks. Gang members do not buy guns legally.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes? What does it matter when again all surrounding states hand out free guns for all who are willing? All you do is go buy it there and come back to commit some crime. Gee wiz, I wonder why it doesn't do anything. Again, think.
    Who the hell is handing out free guns? Over dramatic much?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    A few years ago there was a powerful gang in Chicago that was feared by all the lessor gangs. The police decided enough was enough and they gathered enough evidence to send the leadership of the powerful gang to prison.

So there was a power vacuum. That's why there are all these shootings is because the lessor gangs are struggling to take the place of the powerful gang.

You could almost say the powerful gang was effective at keeping the peace even though they broke the law a lot.
    This guy has the only real detailed answer I've seen so far. This is a very real issue happening in Chicago.

The other unspoken reality is a huge amount of this violence is gang members shooting other gang members. The police tend to not be nearly as diligent in doing something about it as it's in a sense a self-correcting issue. You see a much stronger reaction when an innocent bystander or non-gang affiliated member gets shot.

Also, before people start thinking Chicago is a homogeneous pit of violence read here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...education-time

Quote Originally Posted by Dystemper View Post
    Who the hell is handing out free guns? Over dramatic much?
    Maybe not free in monetary sense, but you need zero reasons to be able to buy.

If they didnt have guns it would be a different weapon. Murder is murder no matter the weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can not go to another state and just buy a gun with out of state ID easily. And they stil have to pass background checks. Gang members do not buy guns legally.
    As I said earlier -- people didn't need to leave the State to purchase guns and bring them back into the city. The now existent ban on handguns was only for the city itself. People could purchase guns anywhere else in the state. So yes it was very possible for gang members to legally purchase firearms or to have newer members who did not yet have a criminal record make the purchases for them. Yes it's still an illegal practice but the guns themselves would have been considered a legal purchase from a merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    So then you're not buying the fucking gun out of state! The FFL ships the gun to Illinois where you go to a dealer and have your background check performed and pay him! What are you trying to prove? Do you realize how nonsensical your comment was.
    It means I bought the gun in Indiana and it was shipped to Illinois. You're still purchasing it from the first merchant...the secondary merchant is only where you're picking it up from. If you're going to talk out of your ass at least have some understanding of the process.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why are you focused on the gun and not the person?

We need to fix the people. We need to break up the gangs.

Again, focusing on all the wrong things.

If they didnt have guns it would be a different weapon. Murder is murder no matter the weapon.
    Yes, they would, but do tell me why they use the guns as first choice, if it really makes no difference. Or does it actually make a difference?

7+ Year Old Account
    Exactly. You would get likely bats, or knives as the next weapons of choice.

Gangs commit violence. They really don't care what tool they use to commit said acts.

reason 1. Its chicago.

chicago has been synonymous with gang violence & organized crime since... forever.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gangs + poverty + war on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckSparkles View Post
    Exactly. You would get likely bats, or knives as the next weapons of choice.

Gangs commit violence. They really don't care what tool they use to commit said acts.
    Exactly you still didn't answer why gun is the first choice, if it doesn't make a difference. Your claim of guns having nothing to do with gun violence, is the same as claiming the person using the gun has nothing to do with the person himself.

Maybe not free in monetary sense, but you need zero reasons to be able to buy.
    We do not need a reason to exercise a civil right

I understand the process quite well as I do it all the time. You obviously don't or are trying to score some meaningless point over semantics. I can't drive from Chicago to Indiana and leave the Indiana store with a handgun. That can't happen. You can only acquire a handgun in your state of residence. Quit talking about shit you obviously have no experience with.
    What if your buddy from Indiana buys dozens of guns, sells them to you, and reports them stolen after some time. Oh look, you just got guns.

We do not need a reason to exercise a civil right
    Yes, so in the sense it might just be "handing them out for free". You need very little money to buy, and no reason at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the process quite well as I do it all the time. You obviously don't or are trying to score some meaningless point over semantics. I can't drive from Chicago to Indiana and leave the Indiana store with a handgun. That can't happen. You can only acquire a handgun in your state of residence. Quit talking about shit you obviously have no experience with.
    Yeah dude...I totally said that....how about you re-read my comment that you copied and pasted. Nowhere did I say that you can walk out with the gun. It's purchased where you buy it...and shipped to another person with a FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    It means I bought the gun in Indiana and it was shipped to Illinois. You're still purchasing it from the first merchant...the secondary merchant is only where you're picking it up from. If you're going to talk out of your ass at least have some understanding of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    As far as I know Chicago isn't anywhere near the top ten most dangerous US cities on murder stats.. So idk... what makes it so special for that matter?
    Per capita, yes it's not on the top ten list. But overall, it's in the top 5 and some years takes the crown as the murder capital of the US. Unlike cities such as Detroit and Balitmore, Chicago has a lot of wealthy citizens still and has nice areas aka there is potential for people to improve their lives compared to a lot of the other areas where crime is high. Also of note is that President Obama was a "community organizer" in Chicago, which suggests that important people have worked with and analyzed the problems in the city. Despite all of this, homicide rates are still going up. The answers that may have worked elsewhere have little effect in Chicago.

7+ Year Old Account
    Exactly you still didn't answer why gun is the first choice, if it doesn't make a difference. Your claim of guns having nothing to do with gun violence, is the same as claiming the person using the gun has nothing to do with the person himself.
    Look, the fact a gun is used is irrelevant. It's the fact people are committing murder. A person killed by a gun is the same as a person killed by a knife. They are still dead.

The focus is completely on the wrong things. You should seek to figure out why the people behind the murders are committing murder and fix it so others won't follow the same trend.

Enact all the regulations you want. If there is still violence, then ultimately the problem was not solved. That is what needs to happen.