Poll: Who do you side with

Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Spoilers: Who is right? Captain America or Iron Man?

So, in honor of the new movie coming out, lets talk super heroes! In the upcoming movie, it has a long lasting debate separating two groups of super heroes.

The debate: After massive amounts of collateral damage incurs after saving the world, the government moves to enact a policy that creates a system of accountability for the heroes.

The sides:
    Captain America believes the heroes should be able to continually act freely without government influence.

Iron Man believes that the new act is fine and supports them having some oversight.

Who do you side with and why?

I side with Iron Man. They really should have someone looking over their actions. Super heroes cause a lot of damage that they government would need to pay for. Destroyed buildings, damaged property, hurt civilians. All need to be paid for by the government.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

I'm with Cap. Oh I caused acouple hundred million dollars in damages? OK next time I'll just let aliens cause a mass extinction so you dont have to pay for damages.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

7+ Year Old Account
    No. Just no. That's the kinda thinking that got a nuke headed towards New York. Also, having a committee meeting on whether or not to deploy the Avengers would slow them to a governmental crawl.
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

Both are right, and things can go horribly, horribly wrong either way.

On the one hand, accountability prevents heroes from unilaterally declaring themselves judge, jury, and executioner whilst remaining good in the eyes of the public, and a hero agency would allow for settlement for collateral damage and leeway for dangerous situations.

On the other hand, it could very easily be turned into a draft system to make heroes work on behalf of the government's interests in "the name of achieving world peace."

CoH had an interesting idea, where signing up with the government as a hero was optional but rewarding because they covered up your PR and insured your hero-doing activities, and when the time came gave you a list of baddies who could use some kicking. Those who didn't want to potentially become government's pawn didn't have to sign up at all, but they wouldn't be in on the benefits.

Civil War is making this out to be like there's no middle ground for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Civil War is making this out to be like there's no middle ground for some reason...
    That would defeat the point of the movie really.

"Hey I have a modest, moderate compromise."

"Hey this is great, thanks!"

*Captain America and Iron Man stare at the Audience for an hour before credits*
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    That would defeat the point of the movie really.
    Sadly yes. A shame; if people in super-powered universes had actually taken the time to be rational and compromise, the vast majority of these plots would've been avoided, but rule of drama kicks in so never mind!

I always find the predilection of "oh no the government may be evil and try and enslave us and be overall shitheads!" to be kind of a juvenile plot device.

People who work in government tend to be rather dedicated to a certain ideal, and as long as the country in question is a democratic country, that ideal is usually fair. And it creates a system too large to conceal a conspiracy.

The only rational position is Iron Man's/Pro-Registration. Superheroes are vigilantes- that can cause destruction and death directly or indirectly on a scale exceeding human capacity and endurance. They are also the minority global population.

Allowing a vigilante who can cause megaton explosions to hunt down whomever he sees fit- possibly others whom can likewise cause massive destruction; is flatly insane, unsustainable and unrealistic.

Anti-Registration/Captain America's position is only tenable within the fiction of Marvel comics and the absoluteness of the morality of it's heroes.

There is no possible way society could allow like, Scarlet Witch to run float around Manhattan occasionally getting into scuffles with Loki.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-04-23 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The only rational position is Iron Man's/Pro-Registration. Superheroes are vigilantes- that can cause destruction and death directly or indirectly on a scale exceeding human capacity and endurance. They are also the minority global population.

Allowing a vigilante who can cause megaton explosions to hunt down whomever he sees fit- possibly others whom can likewise cause massive destruction; is flatly insane, unsustainable and unrealistic.

Anti-Registration/Captain America's position is only tenable within the fiction of Marvel comics and the absoluteness of the morality of it's heroes.

There is no possible way society could allow like, Scarlet Witch to run float around Manhattan occasionally getting into scuffles with Loki.
    *nods*
    Good argument...and I hate to agree with it...but I do with the qualifier that it concerns "majors."

So it wouldn't apply to the likes of Daredevil.

Then there's the drawback: Who going to try to apprehend someone that is a "major?" They tried for years with the Hulk. And Thor has already told Iron Man what'll happen if anyone tried any shit on Asgard just after the Civil War.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

You do run into the problem of those you can't actually control no matter how hard you try, like the hulk. And that doesn't really work then.

In reality: Iron Man.

In the Marvel Universe: Captain America.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is the point of being a super hero if you are accountable to the bureaucrats?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    That is the whole point of the comic series and the upcoming movie. It isn't an easy decision, and both sides have important notions that actually need to be addressed.

It mirrors much of reality where neither the extreme left nor the extreme right actually have the correct answers that solve everything. Reality is best addressed with a realistic approach that involves acknowledgement of both sides and addressing all of the aspects as much as possible. It means the best answer is complicated and no side gets everything that they want.

Too bad our politicians and die-hard followers don't understand this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    So, in honor of the new movie coming out, lets talk super heroes! In the upcoming movie, it has a long lasting debate separating two groups of super heroes.

The debate: After massive amounts of collateral damage incurs after saving the world, the government moves to enact a policy that creates a system of accountability for the heroes.

The sides:
    Captain America believes the heroes should be able to continually act freely without government influence.

Iron Man believes that the new act is fine and supports them having some oversight.

Who do you side with and why?

I side with Iron Man. They really should have someone looking over their actions. Super heroes cause a lot of damage that they government would need to pay for. Destroyed buildings, damaged property, hurt civilians. All need to be paid for by the government.
    Gotta side with the Cap. Government over site is just a window for hydra
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Honestly...I think they got the characters reversed. Cap should be the white knight siding with the gov and Iron man goes rogue....
    Nah...the issue exemplifies how wrong government can be and how it changed from the ideals that it once enshrined to something that is the opposite.

Deleted
    I really don't get why the roles are like that, they should be reversed. Captain America should be the one sticking up for the government with Tony Stark being "fuck you I do what I want". I get that it involves cap's friend and I personally liked the Captain America movies, especially Winter Soldier, but still, seems odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Collateral damage you say? That's rich coming from Ironman who has been the instigator of all the shit happened in Avengers: Age of Ultron and contributed to Loki's portal. If anyone needs kept in check is Tony Stark alone. Cap has always end up in cleaning the mess rather than causing it directly. So I'm with Cap. And ultimately Cap is right, what if they are needed elsewhere but due to political turmoil and backstabbing the government doesn't want them involved. Who's to say where the Avengers go, Cap only cares about saving lives, where the government is always cares about it's own interest.
    Last edited by Darkfie1d; 2016-04-23 at 05:34 PM.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."

Quote Originally Posted by La Rochelle View Post
    I really don't get why the roles are like that, they should be reversed. Captain America should be the one sticking up for the government with Tony Stark being "fuck you I do what I want". I get that it involves cap's friend and I personally liked the Captain America movies, especially Winter Soldier, but still, seems odd.
    Stark did that in Avengers 2, he saw what "good" his mistake did, he's not gonna risk anything anymore.
    Captain is not representing the government, he's representing freedom and justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I always find the predilection of "oh no the government may be evil and try and enslave us and be overall shitheads!" to be kind of a juvenile plot device.

People who work in government tend to be rather dedicated to a certain ideal, and as long as the country in question is a democratic country, that ideal is usually fair. And it creates a system too large to conceal a conspiracy.
    That's actually why Cap is against it, he thinks Avengers to be protectors of mankind rather than just a country. Where a government tends to favor it's own interests. It's not about governments are evil, it's just they will eventually get in their way to save lives.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."