Poll: Are you offended?

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Cheerios angers fans with tweet about Prince's death.

http://wgntv.com/2016/04/22/cheerios...tribute-tweet/
    http://fortune.com/2016/04/21/cheerios-tweet-prince/

Here's the tweet:

LONDON — Here’s another lesson in the risks of social media marketing.

Cheerios maker General Mills was forced to delete a Twitter tribute to Prince, after the singer’s fans slammed the company and called the tweet tasteless.

Prince Rogers Nelson, known simply as Prince, died Thursday. He was found unresponsive in an elevator at his studios in Chanhassen, Minnesota. He was 57 years old and his death came as a shock to his fans.

Cheerios tweeted a purple “Rest in peace” sign with a cheerio in place of the dot above the letter i. It tagged the tweet with #prince.

A storm of angry comments followed immediately, forcing the Minnesota-based company to take the Tweet down.

General Mills said it wanted to “acknowledge the loss of a musical legend in its hometown.”

“But we quickly decided that we didn’t want the tweet to be misinterpreted, and removed it out of respect for Prince and those mourning,” the company said in a statement emailed to CNNMoney.
    Do you find the tweet offensive?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not offensive. People are really going out of their way to fashion themselves into victims.

Oh come on, it's not like they accidentally played Fresh Prince of Bel-Air instead of Prince.

whats supposed to be offensive about it?

#deadlifesmatter
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Deleted
    yes it makes me god damn angry.
    and ill tell you why it makes me so angry that I am ready to spit feathers and stop eating cheerios forever.
    are you ready ? well here is the reason that I am so incredibly angry at that tweet.

The cheerio is not purple.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    yes it makes me god damn angry.
    and ill tell you why it makes me so angry that I am ready to spit feathers and stop eating cheerios forever.
    are you ready ? well here is the reason that I am so incredibly angry at that tweet.

The cheerio is not purple.
    Damn, I clearly did not include enough poll options.

Well... The poll is quite obviously biased. But I can see why lol. I've yet to figure out what is offensive about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

honestly, i don't even see it as marketing.

it's just putting your own spin on your tribute to his death. literally every other tribute to his death has done something similar.

Not offensive but inappropriate.

Using someone's death to market your product is just asking for trouble.

That is kind of tacky. Very strategic product placement so some grieving prince fans will go eat a bunch of cheerios.

...this is really stupid, but it doesn't surprise me. A lot of people seem really good at finding ways to be "offended" these days.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing offensive, and I don't think people are offended, they are just outraged at how blatantly open marketing people are in their EVIL ways. Exploiting the death of a celebrity to KACHING.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

It isn't like General Mills or Cheerios are an unknown entity. I highly doubt they'd gain anything off this tribute. You think Prince fans only eat pancakes or something?

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing wrong with it at all. It's quite common for a company to use subtle branding on everything. The people throwing a fit are just whiney cunts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    It isn't like General Mills or Cheerios are an unknown entity. I highly doubt they'd gain anything off this tribute. You think Prince fans only eat pancakes or something?
    Pancakes and grapes.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Nope, not offensive at all. People really need to get their head out of their massive buttocks.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

What kind of weirdo follows Cheerios on Twitter in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What kind of weirdo follows Cheerios on Twitter in the first place?
    Please do note the hashtag

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not offensive but it is bad taste to promote a product completely unrelated to the person who just died while using his death to do so, not even related to music in general. They could have just done it without product placement. But that's what you do if you work in advertising you lie and stir up things so it gets spotted.

So great advertising move but fairly low in terms of showing some respect but that was without the doubt the goal.

Can still backfire though if people boycott enough or music events don't carry their products and so on but doubt it will go that far.

Also the poll provides no proper choice selection it is either between being extremely outraged and not interested at all which is a fairly childish way of setting up a poll.