Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    "eSport" is not a sport. It's a bunch of kids playing games for money which have nothing to do with skill or ability.

Anyone can learn how to play games, only a few can excel at real sports.
    They didn't say it was a sport, you're the one who mentioned eSport.

Also anyone can learn to play a sport, only a few can excel at games.

"eSport" is not a sport. It's a bunch of kids playing games for money which have nothing to do with skill or ability.

I disagree. Take a game like Starcraft. It takes serious micromanaging skills, resource management, ability to predict, adapt and plan for enemy attacks to play at a competitive level at it. Yes, anyone can least to play a game, but few people will ever be able to play at championship level; just like how anyone can pick up a baseball bat and swing it, but few will ever be able to hit sweeping home runs like you see in the MLB. There is a real skillset to playing well at videogames; it's just a psychological and intellectual skillset instead of a physical one. eSports are basically the modern equivalent of professional competitive Chess.

I've been playing DotA 2 for over 4 years, and I'm still pretty bad at it, despite having over 1300 hours played. I'm not a pro and I never will be.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    niceeeeeeeeeeee
    That middle one looks like a dude. Muscle definition on a woman? /shudder

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    They didn't say it was a sport, you're the one who mentioned eSport.

Also anyone can learn to play a sport, only a few can excel at games.
    excel at anything really. You can throw a football around with your friends, but very few are gonna get into the NFL. Pretty much same with gamers and getting into game competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    excel at anything really. You can throw a football around with your friends, but very few are gonna get into the NFL. Pretty much same with gamers and getting into game competitions.
    Exactly. I was just taking their own quote and flipping it on them for a point.

I watch streamers that I find entertaining, not because of the game they happen to be playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Exactly. I was just taking their own quote and flipping it on them for a point.
    May have missed that. Going between posting here and writing thesis. derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only streams I watch are tournaments for SSBM. Other than that I can't be bothered to watch someone ramble on over gameplay but I will say that I understand the appeal. Some streamers have very likable personalities and people enjoy that.

Deleted
    I rarely watch game play videos because I think watching them is so boring. I would rather want to play games myself than watch others doing it. I only check some videos if I want to know more about the game or the video is short.

7+ Year Old Account

Can this guy please get a suspension? This post is either a blatant troll attempt or his intelligence is too low to properly function in society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Can this guy please get a suspension? This post is either a blatant troll attempt or his intelligence is too low to properly function in society.
    Lol, sensitive much

I watch for 2 reasons.

1) its helpful for finding new games I otherwise might have never known about.
    2) some people are helpful when it comes to teaching people how to play.

I just dont understand why they stream from such shitty houses. Most of their rooms just look like some tiny ghetto apartment. I mean if your house sucks maybe its time to stop streaming for 16 hours a day and get a damn job. Also why are most of the people in chat total morons. All they do is spam lines and lines of the same shit over and over again. I know its funny for everyone to say "RIP" or "REKT" when someone dies but even if the dude is taking a piss break people just spam chat.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2016-04-24 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    I guess im just old school

The only thing I watch on Twitch specifically, is the Bob Ross stream. I HATE all that subscriber and donation shoutout bs. I general dislike facecam and hate background music playing(that isnt the game music). Both of which, I have found the vast majority of twitch gamers do regularly.

I do however watch people, and only a select few people, play games on youtube. I watch people play games for 3 reasons. One, is to see if its something I might like to play myself. Two, is to hear the commentary and thoughts of another person, on a game, that I myself have enjoyed playing. And find I find it interesting to see other peoples take on a story, or puzzle solving, or what approaches they generally take to dealing with a situation, that may differ from mine. The third is to experience the story of a game, that I myself have no intention of playing, due to my personal dislike of the gameplay mechanics.

Adam... adam adam... You do realize you are watching people watch people play video games, and then making commentary on it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Adam... adam adam... You do realize you are watching people watch people play video games, and then making commentary on it?
    I'm not, I don't watch it. I seen probably a max of 60 seconds. I usually mute, watch enough gameplay to determine if I physically can play, turn off before anything is spoiled. Thread stems from a combination of South Park, my FB and a random conversation about a guy watching Dark Souls II who loved it but didn't want to play it (which I found bizarre)

I don't think there is a single reason why streaming is a thing. You can compare it to sports, which is legit, but I think voyeurism is the bigger reason why people follow certain streamers.

And then, of course, the successful streamers all manage to bond with their followers, suggesting a form of special friendship between them. There are a lot of people without friends in this world, and I do think many (not all) try to fill that void by watching streamers. Just the impression i got from reading the often awful Twitch chat.

I'll watch a Let's Play when I need some info or strategy for a particular game.

I generally only watch streamers when I wanna see what a game actually "looks like" while being played.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    DISCLAIMER - I aren't saying there's anything wrong with watching Twitch or gamers

Personally I don't understand the appeal in watching other people play games. I only ever Youtube gameplay footage when deciding to purchase a game or not, however I understand people watch hours worth. I also don't understand why people enjoy listening to random (obnoxious) individuals constantly talking (loud) whilst gaming. It's something I likely will never understand but hey ho that's life, it's obvious there's a market for it. So I am curious what your views are; are you fans or are you like me and left bemused at the appeal
    I watch twitch a ton and I also absolutely hate that.
    There are people who, believe it or not, are actually incredibly funny with a nice, soothing voice. Not everyone plays LoL on there.