Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Bring back Vanilla quests with Time travel?

Some quests was removed from game after Cataclysm, because Cataclysm destroyed some zones. So what about Creating Time Walking portal in Caverns of Time that will let you enter old zones for doing old quests before they was removed.

And since it will be instanced via TimeWalking/Portal in Caverns of Time like different Continent/Island , it will have zero effect on changing current lore,Legion Lore or Lore/Story of next expansions.

edit:

Instead of bringing back old zones they also can bring some old quests to new zones and mark them as Time Travel quests with blurr effect on screen or something, there is already few quests like that.

Or create few instanced dungeon-like zones similar to Old Hillsbrad Foothils and Old Stratholme in Caverns of Time.

Or simply backup few zones(as time travel zones) that have most interesting quests in case if they are going to be removed or destroyed in next expansions
    Last edited by Luckx; 2016-04-24 at 08:23 PM.

Deleted
    In Blasted Lands they basically have the same thing, you can ask an NPC to change the zone to the pre-WoD one. Only problem I think is that the code probably doesn't exist anymore.

It sounds like a nice alternative if vanilla servers are never going to be a thing. I really love the old zones, and its the main reason why I'd go to a private server in the first place.

Only reason I'd want this is to get a few of those hidden gems for transmog that I vendored long, long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt0193 View Post
    Only reason I'd want this is to get a few of those hidden gems for transmog that I vendored long, long ago.
    And I think this is the biggest argument for it, and one I can get behind.
    The wardrobe system does I think give good reasons to introduce some old gear rewards back.
    Should we be penalised for not doing those quests on multiple characters because there was not the desire nor incentive then to have multiple characters so much ?
    I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    This would actually screw up a lot of achievements such as loremaster unless they make it so it doesn't count toward loremaster.

although, I think the only thing bad about vanilla was the questing. It was a complete nightmare.
    you get quest gaps between level 13-22 and 30ish to 40ish.

you literally had to run around grinding exp from mobs. that was not fun and I don't think people will do it for as long as they have better questing system.
    Since I just leveled a vanilla toon I can tell this is wrong. There is no level gap where you have to grind XP with mobs. You just have to switch zones. The Barrens can be very high level (high yellow Qs) but you can just go to Silverpine and level some (green - low yellow) quests there to come back to Barrens.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    And I think this is the biggest argument for it, and one I can get behind.
    The wardrobe system does I think give good reasons to introduce some old gear rewards back.
    Should we be penalised for not doing those quests on multiple characters because there was not the desire nor incentive then to have multiple characters so much ?
    I don't think so.
    Or make these models craftable.

This

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    Or make these models craftable.
    Or this, either way works for me.

I wouldn't mind access to some of the old, memorable quest lines. That is, as long as some of the worst ones were tinkered with. Some of the old quests were just torture. "hey, could you go to -zone on another continent- to get -blank-?" or "hey, I hope you like running back and forth across the zone four times because.." (I suck as a quest giver)

Deleted
    Yeah, much of it would be considered torture nowadays, at least to experienced players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Camthur View Post
    I wouldn't mind access to some of the old, memorable quest lines. That is, as long as some of the worst ones were tinkered with. Some of the old quests were just torture. "hey, could you go to -zone on another continent- to get -blank-?" or "hey, I hope you like running back and forth across the zone four times because.." (I suck as a quest giver)
    It's part of the different era the gaming scene was at in general. Back them massive game worlds were a rare thing and chances were a player has never seen another game like that before, and they didn't have access to alternatives. Hence, it was considered very exciting to be sent to another continent doing nothing just for the voyage.

Even now I guess a very new player might find it exciting, however, it's not that rare to have such a game nowadays. Almost any regular simplistic action adventure for the consoles has very large worlds nowadays.

7+ Year Old Account
    This would actually screw up a lot of achievements such as loremaster unless they make it so it doesn't count toward loremaster.

although, I think the only thing bad about vanilla was the questing. It was a complete nightmare.

you literally had to run around grinding exp from mobs. that was not fun and I don't think people will do it for as long as they have better questing system.
    You only had quest gaps if you sucked at questing. I leveled from 1 to 60 without ever being without a quest on nost.

- - - Updated - - -

All items from every quest you've done are added to the wardrobe regardless if you still have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Some quests was removed from game after Cataclysm, because Cataclysm improved some zones. So what about Creating Time Walking portal in Caverns of Time that will let you enter old zones for doing old quests before they was removed.
    just seems like a lot of effort for not much reward. what you think you like is subjective to what other people like.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like Night Elf island and base was destroyed in Feralas and Theramore was destroyed in Dustwallow marsh, some zones and quests might be removed/destroyed from game in future expansions, and phased or instanced TimeTravel would save them for discovering old lore/zone history.

7+ Year Old Account
    It sound like giant waste of resources for a developer to implement it right now.
    I like how they managed to handle this issue in Blasted Lands but I'm against your idea to have this feature implemented to every zone.
    Last edited by Crimewave; 2016-04-24 at 09:01 AM.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimewave View Post
    It sound like giant waste of resources for a developer to implement it right now.
    I like how they managed to handle this issue in Blasted Lands but I'm against your idea to have this feature implemented to every zone.
    Just like not alll dungeons aviable for timewalking, it could be only few most destroyed zones instead of all zones. Or even phased parts of some zones instead of full zones

Deleted
    I think it could be an idea. If only for fun. Leaving them just be there and have a chance to start alts in old zones too or being able to time-travel with chars there.

Funny, I don't remember it like that and I leveled when the xp had not been nerfed. Oh, I agree that you might have had to go to more zones to get from 30-40 especially, one was not enough, which is why I'd normally go to Desolace, which would bring me to about 36-37 then go to Arathi, which would give me the rest. And there was still one zone in Eastern Kingdoms in that level frame (I just didn't like the dark iron stuff much).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckx View Post
    Just like not alll dungeons aviable for timewalking, it could be only few most destroyed zones instead of all zones. Or even phased parts of some zones instead of full zones
    Then why bother at all? You won't ever please everybody, nostalgia peoples' hunger will never be satisfied and they will demand more and more.

Also, you are trying to compare queueing to scaling dungeon with having to have multiple copies of zones with quests and phasing\crossrealm(that also do not exist in current version of the game). Guess which one is simplier to implement.
    retired raiding shadow priest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    WoW will never die. They will be back up to 12m+ subs when legion hits, and wont fall below 10m for the duration of the expansion. You can mark my words on that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    Since I just leveled a vanilla toon I can tell this is wrong. There is no level gap where you have to grind XP with mobs. You just have to switch zones. The Barrens can be very high level (high yellow Qs) but you can just go to Silverpine and level some (green - low yellow) quests there to come back to Barrens.
    That's the very reason people grinded mobs. It was more efficient to grind mobs than to move to certain zones each time you reached a dead end in questing. Personally I grinded in dungeons for the most part instead of normal mobs. 59-60? grinding mobs in Eastern Plaguelands. Questing, for me, was one of the worst experiences of vanilla WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimewave View Post

Pretty much this, wouldn't that mean they have to run twice the amount of zone servers?
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-04-24 at 11:20 AM.

Deleted
    I'm a big fan of the legacy servers idea but simply bringing back the questing will not replicate vanilla in any way. I loved questing in vanilla - early wotlk but it wasn't the quests themselves that made the experience. It was the overall play. The challenge, rewards and of course, crafted items usually being upgrades. I really don't think that bringing the old quests alone back would be enjoyable. In fact I believe that if early wow challenge and reward in many aspects of the game returned in Legion, which has some truly awesome scenery, it would be hands down better than vanilla.