classic wow is not an accessible game.
    Lol.. Are we really at a time where that is a thing?

Don't you all remember the true hardcore old-school everquest / camelot / other olden MMO people calling vanilla WoW casual garbage? The whole thing with questing and death not punishing people enough was a big point back in the day.

But eh. It's ancient history.

Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    Yeah! Same here! Nothing is the same anymore. Endgame raiding! Battlegrounds! Classes! Leveling up followed by questing! People talking in trade! Okay, last one doesn't work. Just, come on. This is still the same game, it's just evolved over time, whether a player likes that evolution or not is their opinion. The thread is over a 1000 pages because there's been people talking about so many different things that so many other people have to weigh in on.
    I mean, there's surface level similarities, the groundwork for the genre (almost every MMO has what you listed) but the gameplay mechanics, the stats and their impact, leveling content, it's just a different animal. I actually knew this way back at the end of Wrath, when I came back after stopping at the end of Vanilla. I knew then that the game I knew was gone, but at least I could still raid, so I moved on.

I guess it's just one of those things that depends on your perspective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    Lol.. Are we really at a time where that is a thing?

Don't you all remember the true hardcore old-school everquest / camelot / other olden MMO people calling vanilla WoW casual garbage? The whole thing with questing and death not punishing people enough was a big point back in the day.

But eh. It's ancient history.
    it wasn't accessible in the sense that it DID have barriers, even though they were intentionally less than the competitors then. Pardo discussed this and was quite open saying they would not keep some people who tried it but making a game those people would play wasn't the right way to develop wow.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

it wasn't accessible in the sense that it DID have barriers, even though they were intentionally less than the competitors then. Pardo discussed this and was quite open saying they would not keep some people who tried it but making a game those people would play wasn't the right way to develop wow.
    Well yeah, by definition a GAME is something that within a certain set of rules challenges the player, and requires effort to complete.

Note the use of the word 'effort'. Effort isn't time. Effort isn't money. Effort may involve a little bit of luck, but hopefully not so much you'd be justified calling it rng bullcrap (hello hearthstone!).

These days games more often than not don't understand my last point. WoW included. That's what made vanilla so good with all it's flaws. It understood the 'effort' part. As well as bringing it into a non-pay-to-win social multiplayer environment. It perfected the old MMO formula that was destroyed some time between wotlk and cata.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2016-04-24 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    i'd just like to know how its possible that GC manages to write 200 words while not even working for Blizzard while these idiots in the wow-team apparently are too stupid to at least reply in any sort of shape or form. If legacy servers aren't happening then fucking tell us.
    Here it is

/Thread

To hell with Blizzard and to hell with archaic copyright laws.

i'd just like to know how its possible that GC manages to write 200 words while not even working for Blizzard while these idiots in the wow-team apparently are too stupid to at least reply in any sort of shape or form. If legacy servers aren't happening then fucking tell us.
    Have you heard of "The Great Wall of No"? They've said it numerous times, they've been saying it since 2008. People refuse to accept it. So it's quite logical to start completely ignoring them as a nuisance.

Deleted
    I don't think you've read those GC words? If you *actually* read them, he says Blizzard's communication policy is deliberately tight. That's where they differ, him and Blizzard. Blizzard has chosen a different path of communication. Chosen. Deliberately. Policy.

Regarding the matter of setting up private servers - they've said no repeatedly over many, many years. In fact they've consistently said no every time this has come up. I think you can interpret that as: No.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by darxide View Post
    To hell with Blizzard and to hell with archaic copyright laws.
    So I'm sure you'll keep this in mind next time you vote, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    I appreciate the poll data but that poll, to me, might have been set up a bit better, and I do agree it is possible to have more than one preference and thus multiple answers would be appropriate the way it was set up. also, you did not include 'I would play on a Frankenstein server' (a modernized version of some old game state, LFR version essentially) as a choice. I think this is important to add to any poll (poll respondents on how they would like a frankenstein'ed legacy server) because I think it is what blizzard is actually most likely to give.
    I wanted to start a separate poll (multiple choice in this case) about modern features people would want in legacy realms (unchanged from original as an option ofc), but I didn't because even the one I linked got closed for a while due to the flood on the subject. Might set something like that up later.

I don't think there's a solid argument for a multiple choice though. I mean, the only complaint I can accept is that people would "agree" to go from one expansion to another by server transfer, thus having both progression and time bubbles. But this is an extra complication more so than a unifying solution.

Mass transfers could all but kill the original server. You would have to find a way to ensure selective transfers, since it wouldn't be viable to transfer characters from standard to legacy realm (items and classes that don't exist, bringing in free gold, etc.), so the transfer interface would need to be worked on to reflect these restrictions. Downright character copy (keeping your level 60 on vanilla after moving it to BC), at first sight, can be an easy easy to dupe gold. They'd have to ensure restrictions per character per type of legacy realm. They'd also probably need to make an interface so you can do it from Bnet or straight from the game, seeing how it can be crucial to your experience that you manage to transfer if you want to continue leveling into the next expansion.

Still doesn't address the player segregation argument, and the fact that interest would be limited to the expansion's progression timeframe.

I really don't get that some of the retail players being happy about it.
    We are talking a lot of people who want this (noone has the exact numbers, but I have a feeling that a few full servers), and are telling Blizzard that they want to pay for it.
    I mean some private servers have over 2k queues in the evening, when was the last time you saw a retail server do that, take a hint, will ya.
    On top of that, noone can deny that WoW is losing subscriptions on a regular basis now, to the point where noone even knows how many active subs there really are.
    Makes sense, boring single player facebook content with no social aspect along with no new content at all for what, 14 months?
    A lot of these people who play on private servers because they love the old WoW also have an active subscription, and have pre-ordered Legion, because they support Blizzard.
    A lot of them cancelled both over this. This is not a concern to you for a game that is losing revenue all the time as it is?
    This way you will get content patches 2 years apart next time.
    I really do not see how any of this is a cause for celebration.
    Sometimes being smart is more important than being technically right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokstar View Post
    We are talking a lot of people who want this (noone has the exact numbers, but I have a feeling that a few full servers), and are telling Blizzard that they want to pay for it.
    I mean some private servers have over 2k queues in the evening, when was the last time you saw a retail server do that, take a hint, will ya.
    On top of that, noone can deny that WoW is losing subscriptions on a regular basis now, to the point where noone even knows how many active subs there really are.
    Makes sense, boring single player facebook content with no social aspect along with no new content at all for what, 14 months?
    A lot of these people who play on private servers because they love the old WoW also have an active subscription, and have pre-ordered Legion, because they support Blizzard.
    A lot of them cancelled both over this. This is not a concern to you for a game that is losing revenue all the time as it is?
    I mean, current servers have probably 4x the capacity of vanilla servers but sure yeah dude.

Quote Originally Posted by kary View Post
    I mean, current servers have probably 4x the capacity of vanilla servers but sure yeah dude.
    I know that. Not sure whether it's exactly 4 times the capacity, but it is more.
    Nevertheless, it is still a lot of people that could be added to the customer list.
    Last edited by Fokstar; 2016-04-24 at 07:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokstar View Post
    But that's only one server. In Blizzard case the same amount of people is gathered over several servers. That's why we have no queues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    If the servers are making so little money that they need to be shut down then it is unlikely that there will be many players/customers around not to like it.
    I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

English please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Guild Wars got the old server running for the old game though. No team is on it or anything. The servers are just on and running and people play it.
    Guild wars is free to play. There is a diffarance.

When he did work for them he was one of the most hated persons on the planet, but now that he doesn't his words are suddenly gospel.

Funny how the world works.

P.S. They have been (fucking) telling you for years that it won't happen.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    All other MMOs that have done this disagree with you.
    Care to name a few AAA titles that have garnered a profit of doing so?
    Infact, why dont you pull out the list of every single MMO ever that have done this, and their profit. Since that is *exactly* what you said happend.

Even 5yo are making blizzard rant videos this days... even they are not happy with state wow is this days

Quote Originally Posted by SoLoR1 View Post
    Even 5yo are making blizzard rant videos this days... even they are not happy with state wow is this days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqKocd3n1g
    More mature than most Nostalrius posters. She made Sodapoppin look like a spoiled kid in there.

I can't see how they could implement Legacy servers without setting some unfortunate precedents,like people then requesting TBC/WOTLK/etc etc servers and it turning into one giant clusterfuck,I'm kinda neutral on the matter but this reason alone would dissuade me,if I were one of the decision makers at Blizzard HQ,to even consider the idea regardless of technical limitations or any other reason not implement them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marston View Post
    But that's only one server. In Blizzard case the same amount of people is gathered over several servers. That's why we have no queues.
    There are way more private servers. I don't take into the account all of the private servers.
    I am only talking about the ones who would be willing to pay for this.
    It is a lot of people to keep ignoring, unless Blizzard simply wants to be done with WoW and move to other projects, which can't be good news to ANY of us.