Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

I suck at PVP and it frustrates me

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/argent-dawn/Makronix/simple

I just can't understand why I loose most of the games..
    Perhaps maybe because I am new un-experienced noob that don't know best macro set up or whatever

I played 2v2 non-rated, and I perhaps won 3 games out of 20+ games. I got keybinds on my mouse (14 buttons) and orb-weaver gaming pad, so I am not a clicker. People refer me to their wow armouries and I got the right set up, but mostly need more gear.

Whats the problem? is it the gear? or I don't understand tactics ? - I just want 2000 Rating, but eh, I can only dream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well first of all as a human you don't need that one movement trinket. You got a OP racial for that
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

Lose the Medallion. You're a human, which means Every Man For Himself removes the need for it.

Your gear is blue, so the first thing you'll want to do is farm Ashran/Battlegrounds until you're in some purples.

Other than that, I don't play Warrior so I'll leave the rest up to the experts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check out Bajheera in Youtube he has tons of warrior content and guides.
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedinfo View Post

Perhaps maybe because I am new un-experienced noob that don't know best macro set up or whatever

I played 2v2 non-rated, and I perhaps won 3 games out of 20+ games. I got keybinds on my mouse (14 buttons) and orb-weaver gaming pad, so I am not a clicker. People refer me to their wow armouries and I got the right set up, but mostly need more gear.

Whats the problem? is it the gear? or I don't understand tactics ? - I just want 2000 Rating, but eh, I can only dream.
    Yeah, first things first you need to sort your gear out. You're only 703 ilvl at the moment and you've got a medallion, which you don't need as Human.

Secondly, it's going to take a hell of a long time to get to the point you want to get to if you're only just starting and don't have much game experience in general. I'd played the game a lot but never really played properly up until late cata, when I actually started trying to keybind and learn the game. I was playing a hell of a lot and it took me like 2 years to get to the point you said where you want to get to.

2s really isn't a good bracket. It's extremely boring, extremely unbalanced and generally doesn't really work in the current state of the game. It's never been great, but it's never been as bad as what is this expansion (at least for a long time)

I'd say something that helped me a lot was actually dueling. When you're just starting, one of the basics is class knowledge. Dueling helps you understand your class and other classes a lot more in-depth. Don't be afraid to duel good players, that's how you learn. Hopefully they're not a dick and they can help you understand how to beat them, what you can do and what they do. If you're not really in a place where you can duel, try watching some people play those classes.

The only other thing really is try and watch streams or videos to see what sort of team compositions people play in 3s and how they play them. It's important to have some class/game knowledge before this step otherwise you won't know what's going on.

Then after that you just have to spam games. A lot of them. Ideally with the same people, whom you like and can improve with together. You've only played 11 arenas, that's nothing! You probably should be expecting a good 600-700 arenas to be able to get to grips with it a bit. Everyone always mentions that the game is "so easy now" but it's still pretty damn complex for a new player. Everyone is capable of getting good, you just need to have a good mindset in order to improve, a lot of time and a good analytical mind.

Pretty much what others people stated above: gear, streams, duels, etc. Do not get discouraged by a rough start. Also warrior is very very gear and healer dependent class. My advise (in addition to what ppl already said) try to get friends with a good healer, not only games will go smoother for you, a healer may actually give you some good tips for war/healer 2s. Also try fury, personally i prefer fury in 2s, since it has more survival/self heals (you can sit in D-stance without need to jump to Battle-stance for CS).
    As you get good gear + a decent healer you will notice that you will start win more games, the most important thing to do not get discouraged and try to have fun while you pvp)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedinfo View Post

I'm not going to comment on your gear/talents etc. as others already have done that but the more important aspect is your mechanical skill and gamesense.

First of all, to have any chance in PvP at higher ratings, it is extremly important that you have things such as keybindings and focus cast to CC the enemy healer while you are mashing on the DPS.

You need to understand what the enemy can do and what you can do, expect what will happen. The obvious example is, stunning a mage will most likely result in a blink. High pressure on a paladin will most likely result in a bubble.

This are easy examples but if you get more knowledge of your opponents and the game, you can predict other reactions and react when you believe these things would happen which creates a massive advantage for you.

Another factor is awareness.

You have to be able to see where you stand, where your healer/teammate stands, where the enemies stand and what is going on from an outside perspective. Try to look at your arenamatch/fight as it goes on from a commentator perspective who watches it from the outside. All while keeping up your rotation.

For example; If you don't notice, the enemy DPS is setting up for a kill cause you are mindlessly spamming damage into the enemy healer and he kills your healer. You lost cause you didn't pay attention and tried to peel/save your healer.

Example 2; If you pop your cooldowns and chase around the pillar while your healer is far away, and you don't come back from behind the pillar, you can be killed easily. You have to watch where you stand and where your teammate is.

You also have to know which classes are good targets for you and what your comp is weak towards.

Most of this you can only learn by practice. Do a bunch of arena games, a bunch of duels. And when you're done, do even more.

While you do this, focus on learning and improving. It's easy to blame gear/enemy being better/OP combos but that won't help you improve at all.

Another thing you can do is watch streams of highrated players and arena gameplay or youtube videos
    Last edited by mmocfb72b6c64d; 2016-04-22 at 04:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    PvP is 90% keybindings and 10% skill.

Get yourself a good keyboard and especially a gaming mouse where you can bind several skills to and then practice.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    The most important tool you can use for any PvP fight is your brain. However you need to learn how to use it correct.

Understand that your brain will sabotage your game at some points. When you have lost a few games in a row, then you will get stressed - which will further impede your progress.

When you lose a game your brain gets a shot of Cortisol which is a stress hormone. This means that your logical conclusion making goes down and you have impeded access to your past memories. Your performance will go down the more stressed you are.

The opposite happens when you are winning though.

As you win you will get a shot of dopamine in your brain, which will increase your reaction time, access to memories and give you an increased ability to make logical conclusions.

You have to learn how to manage brain when loosing. When you have a loosing streak, then its best to stop and get back into a positive mental state. When winning, then try to keep the flow going and don't get overconfident. A really good tactic is to always look for opportunities and not look for excuses ("I don't have good enough of gear or they are all waay better then me"). Positive self-talk is really important. Think in terms of what you just learned from that encounter and how you could try something differently next time.

Last but not least it is very important to keep learning and evolving. Sometimes its better to start doing battlegrounds first and then moving on to arenas once you are warmed up. Look at how expert players are performing and try to imitate their behavior. Get into the habit of getting small wins - before you move on the the bigger ones.

Dueling is a really good way to learn as well. Always do Two-out-of-Three fights. If you loose a duel then ask the other guy for tips on how to improve your skills. Usually people love saying how they could have done better - this will require you to swallow your ego and stay in the learning mentality.

Hope this helps - good luck and the most important part is to actually have fun!

Deleted
    First u gotta have good keybindings for targeting for example u can do mousewheel up arena 1 mousewheeldown arena 2 and middle mouse button arena 3. A warrior is not a hard class to learn since u dont have to offheal or something like that, you only need to use rallying cry on ure healer when hes getting trained. You also shound have the basic macros like focus fear, focus kick, focus charge. And you also need to learn warrior rotation and when to use cooldowns, ill suggest u watch high skilled warriors VODs for example joefernandes https://www.twitch.tv/joefernandes123/v/14119485 . I would also coach u ingame for some gold.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    PvP is 90% keybindings and 10% skill.

Get yourself a good keyboard and especially a gaming mouse where you can bind several skills to and then practice.
    Saying stuff like this is probably what puts people off trying to get better. No point exaggerating stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krassz1096 View Post
    Saying stuff like this is probably what puts people off trying to get better. No point exaggerating stuff like that.
    Well, it's true. Unless they have a 3rd arm they pretty much have to do it to be good at PvP. It's just how this type of game is designed.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

Deleted
    Playing with an orbweaver and g600 made me 10x better at PvP.

Back in the day I would use a belkin nostromo N52 and that helped a lot, ever since then I have been using gamepads instead of keyboards for all my pc gaming and it's just so much easier than using a keyboard, pretty much a requirement if you want to be good at pvp, using a standard mouse and keyboard, clicking spells and keyboard turning you will suck no matter what.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's true. Unless they have a 3rd arm they pretty much have to do it to be good at PvP. It's just how this type of game is designed.
    It implies that as soon as you keybind you should be hitting 2400 or something. All that does is make people give up when all they see is "all these people say theres no skill in the game, I don't know what i'm doing wrong so im quitting"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ESPG-1 View Post
    Playing with an orbweaver and g600 made me 10x better at PvP.

Back in the day I would use a belkin nostromo N52 and that helped a lot, ever since then I have been using gamepads instead of keyboards for all my pc gaming and it's just so much easier than using a keyboard, pretty much a requirement if you want to be good at pvp, using a standard mouse and keyboard, clicking spells and keyboard turning you will suck no matter what.
    ^ same point, orbweavers do nothing but hinder your gameplay, too. There's literally no one good that uses orbweavers / gamepads, that's absolutely stupid that you said "it's needed". I was the same as you when I started PvPing though, I thought all the razer gimmicks would make me a better player. Oh dear. Go find me a top player that uses a gamepad and I'll retract the statement. And no, Swifty isn't a top player. Nearly every top PvPer (I can't think of any that don't, but just to be sure) uses a standard mechanical keyboard and a multibutton mouse, not a gamepad.

A good keybind setup is a basic thing these days. This guy wants to get to a decent rating, not spam bgs and skirmishes. For him it's going to be a lot of learning and improving on mechanical skills / awareness.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2016-04-24 at 06:57 PM.

Deleted
    It implies that as soon as you keybind you should be hitting 2400 or something. All that does is make people give up when all they see is "all these people say theres no skill in the game, I don't know what i'm doing wrong so im quitting"

- - - Updated - - -

^ same point, orbweavers do nothing but hinder your gameplay, too. There's literally no one good that uses orbweavers / gamepads, that's absolutely stupid that you said "it's needed". Go find me a top player that uses a gamepad and I'll retract the statement.
    That's funny, my rating is higher than yours.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ESPG-1 View Post
    That's funny, my rating is higher than yours.
    Let me guess, you're going to flame my current rating when I haven't touched arena this season. Awesome.

Find it funny that every thread turns into a rating bash just because there's no armory links here. It had no point to the post whatsoever, even if you have higher exp than me, that doesn't mean anything. You said "you need an orbweaver to be good at PvP" when literally no one that's a top PvPer uses it and actually laughs at it.
    Last edited by Krusza; 2016-04-24 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I'm implying that before you even try to get good, you NEED a good keyboard/mouse that you can bind your skills/macros to. And then from there, you practice until you are skilled. The keyboard/mouse is the foundation onto which you build from, without it, no matter how skilled you get, you will still be at a severe disadvantage.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I'm implying that before you even try to get good, you NEED a good keyboard/mouse that you can bind your skills/macros to. And then from there, you practice until you are skilled. The keyboard/mouse is the foundation onto which you build from, without it, no matter how skilled you get, you will still be at a severe disadvantage.
    Setting up keybinds and adjusting them after trying them out takes a couple of days maximum.

Getting good at the game takes years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Setting up keybinds and adjusting them after trying them out takes a couple of days maximum.

Getting good at the game takes years.
    Don't know what game you've been playing, but I was rated 2k after about a month of practicing.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know what game you've been playing, but I was rated 2k after about a month of practicing.
    So you started playing, leveled to 100, and after a month of queueing 3s got 2k?

If you've already been playing the game, then sure. This guy's just started.