Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    There are plenty of other people I could cite; how about Vanessa Van Edwards? http://www.scienceofpeople.com/2011/...y-it-hurts-us/

Her conclusion is quite nice:

I prefer straightforward, genuine conversations. I absolutely despise sarcasm, and try to avoid it.
    Are you a girl? Because... you sound like you'd like to just pour out your feelings'n'shit... Seriously, if you don't get banter and sarcasm, that's because you're false... and that's so typical of Americans... just a front, being all nice and shit but as soon as they turn around they don't give a shit anymore. I'll take fun banter and people any day over someone who really just doesn't give a shit.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

What does this have to do with nationality lol?
    Unless you grow up in a third world country where life is without humor everyone takes sarcasm and banter as well as their demeanor allows.
    There are comedians and grumps in every country.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Are you a girl? Because... you sound like you'd like to just pour out your feelings'n'shit... Seriously, if you don't get banter and sarcasm, that's because you're false... and that's so typical of Americans... just a front, being all nice and shit but as soon as they turn around they don't give a shit anymore. I'll take fun banter and people any day over someone who really just doesn't give a shit.
    1) Trying to insult by claiming I am 'x' gender. Nice.
    2) Implying I don't understand the banter and sarcasm
    3) Claiming Americans are nice to your face but then talk shit behind your back. (This part I find particularly funny when I just stated I prefer straightforward, genuine conversations).

Don't ever let me down, MMO-Champion.

Judging by my infractions history around here. No.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Sigh... Way to bring down the mood, Ahov...

For me, although I have not known too many Americans, I find they fit in to a few different categories...

Excessively officious, formal and unbending in their humour - which is by far the smallest group
    Chill relaxed and cruise
    Happy go lucky to a fault, with a grin so etched upon their face you could be forgiven they were applying to a clown school
    Or those that seem to try to assimilate to their new country. Coming from Hobbiton, it is somewhat amusing to meet Americans who both retain their outgoing personalities and yet try to emulate our particular mix of grim British influence gloomy outlook and chill sense of 'she'll be right mate' mentality.

End of the day, humour, and its associated culture, can be broken down in to much small categories than a nationhood. America is a big place; there are countless iterations of different people and cultures there, like every other nation of earth. Maybe excepting North Korea.

Typical of Americans? Pretty big fucking country to generalize everybody.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of other people I could cite; how about Vanessa Van Edwards? http://www.scienceofpeople.com/2011/...y-it-hurts-us/

That's like just another personal opinion. All genuine conversations involve sarcasm on some level. No sarcasm means it's not genuine.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

not even remotely

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, sarcasm doesn't go over too well with majority of Americans. There seems to be alot of folks who don't seem to like jokes anymore either.

You tell one off color joke and a mob tries to get you fired.

it's because our shoulders have been holding up so much motherfucking shit, and the majority cannot afford to eat and have no idea what their next meal will be, and the workers spend a third of their lives slaving for paycheck to paycheck results,

that any living thing could only become some certain thing in such situation.

Blame the people, not their abusers, though, that's what outsiders always insist upon. Just as shitty as schools zero tolerance "you can't defend yourself" emerging more and more in video games too.

From my experience; north americans are incredibly cold. If you say something sarcastic to someone, depending on the situation, they could likely be offended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    it's because our shoulders have been holding up so much motherfucking shit, and the majority cannot afford to eat and have no idea what their next meal will be, and the workers spend a third of their lives slaving for paycheck to paycheck results,

that any living thing could only become some certain thing in such situation.

Blame the people, not their abusers, though, that's what outsiders always insist upon. Just as shitty as schools zero tolerance "you can't defend yourself" emerging more and more in video games too.
    America is one of the wealthiest, gluttonous nations on the planet. Don't give me this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um, I didn't notice that. I haven't been in Europe long, but I didn't notice any difference in this regard between people in the US, in Canada, in Australia, in Spain and in France. In Japan it was a bit different, but still I didn't see much of "don't give a shit" attitude. Of course, people are different, there are always individuals doing that - but I didn't notice that as a general trend.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

1) Trying to insult by claiming I am 'x' gender. Nice.
    2) Implying I don't understand the banter and sarcasm
    3) Claiming Americans are nice to your face but then talk shit behind your back. (This part I find particularly funny when I just stated I prefer straightforward, genuine conversations).

Don't ever let me down, MMO-Champion.
    What's this passive aggressive shit you're doing? And if you think being a girl is an insult, you really, really need to adjust your world views. I mean, you guys are good at many things, arrogance, condescension, patronising people... I mean you're ace there, but banter and sarcasm? You're shite at those. You literally just proved that.

Also, I didn't say "talk shit behind your back", I said "don't give a shit". Which is a different angle. But hey, how about you are a bit condescending... oh yeah, there it is, last sentence, awesome. Proving the points, proving the points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    Typical of Americans? Pretty big fucking country to generalize everybody.
    Yeah well, life's shit. Deal with it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Americans do have more of a laid back sense of humor. I am not sure where our banter came from, I guess we're very thick skinned :P

There are Americans that love our humor though. I wouldn't go as far as saying they don't understand it. I am sure they do.
    Last edited by Orby; 2016-04-24 at 09:27 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    We get sarcasm it's just that British comedy is terrible.
    You mean shows 40 years old?

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer straightforward, genuine conversations. I absolutely despise sarcasm, and try to avoid it.
    So you prefer humourless conversations?

- - - Updated - - -

What's this passive aggressive shit you're doing? And if you think being a girl is an insult, you really, really need to adjust your world views. I mean, you guys are good at many things, arrogance, condescension, patronising people... I mean you're ace there, but banter and sarcasm? You're shite at those. You literally just proved that.

Also, I didn't say "talk shit behind your back", I said "don't give a shit". Which is a different angle. But hey, how about you are a bit condescending... oh yeah, there it is, last sentence, awesome. Proving the points, proving the points.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah well, life's shit. Deal with it.
    TBF he comes across like that in most of his posts...chip on shoulder me thinks