Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Why is Legion bringing back time gates?

Talking about the class hall in this case. It takes roughly a month of real time regardless of how much you play the game to fully upgrade your class hall and I kind of wonder why..

The requirements are already fairly step from a resource perspective adding two weeks to complete the last step of it seems overkill. I don't really see the purpose of it. If it is to act as a nerf it seems bizarre since it is going to be available roughly around the second week of mythic.

I don't know is there something I am missing? Making things take a long time to upgrade and tying large amounts of player power to that just seems like a kick to the nuts for alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Talking about the class hall in this case. It takes roughly a month of real time regardless of how much you play the game to fully upgrade your class hall and I kind of wonder why..

The requirements are already fairly step from a resource perspective adding two weeks to complete the last step of it seems overkill. I don't really see the purpose of it. If it is to act as a nerf it seems bizarre since it is going to be available roughly around the second week of mythic.

I don't know is there something I am missing? Making things take a long time to upgrade and tying large amounts of player power to that just seems like a kick to the nuts for alts.
    The way I see it time gating is one of the most effective, if not only way, of getting people to pace them selves and try various types of content instead of spending the next 48 hours farming required to raid competitively.

On a side note tho, they did seem to change the rank 6 upgrade so it's no longer how you unlock the 3rd relic slot, which means there is far less player power attached.

Deleted
    Because that's what people are asking for, they want grindy things again. I like that it will take a long time to get all your artifact power, prestige 12 and max rank of professions.

Also people want alts to feel like alts again, so this is a way to make them feel like alts again.

To make you subbed longer
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    I do not need to be constructive in this thread, nor provide an argument. There is nothing here to actually debate. Your reasoning is flawed and thusly you have no argument.
    ↑ Epitome of Internet Logic

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deathgrip1092 View Post
    On a side note tho, they did seem to change the rank 6 upgrade so it's no longer how you unlock the 3rd relic slot, which means there is far less player power attached.
    This ^^ a 2 week+ "gate" (4 weeks total time) for "Increase the number of Legendary items you can equip by 1." assuming the original cap is 1, unless RNJEsus loves you, it wont make any difference on your main or alts

EDIT: tbh Depending on the rewards from the World quests, even rank 5 wont make a difference on alts.. which is miles different from WOD where even if you Farm max valor every week your still a 3+ month grind to get a full legendary ring if you decide to re-roll
    Last edited by mmoc0f35fe6efc; 2016-04-24 at 06:51 PM.

Time gates aren't a bad thing. Earn things over time instead of instant gratification of this generation. Building your forces and getting to that level takes time.
    There's going to be an aura that turns off legendary effects in mythic anyways.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...4691?page=2#33
    That said, in addition to the overall unique-equipped limit, our current thinking is that there will be a suppression aura in effect on Mythic raids for the first X weeks after a given raid zone opens, disabling legendary items' special effects (they will still function normally as high-ilvl regular items). This will serve to limit any perceived unfairness in the progression "race," while also serving as a self-nerfing mechanism that can kick in once that race is done.

Deleted

They keep time-gating things because it means they have to put out less content, and players have defended this, so it has become accepted at this point. When you speak out against time-gating someone will strawman you and say "oh so you want to just eat up all the content in a week and then have nothing to do so you can complain on the forums when it was really your own fault nagnag" when in reality you just want them to produce more content and not stretch out the little content they have so extremely. I miss the days when there was raid content available from day one, so all that held you back was how fast you could go and get it. Remember TBC? Two whole raid tiers available from day one. 5 raids. Now it has become the standard that you get no raid on launch and then after several weeks you get 1 raid with 7 bosses. Pathetic.
    Last edited by mmocc7055f04a8; 2016-04-24 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deathgrip1092 View Post
    The way I see it time gating is one of the most effective, if not only way, of getting people to pace them selves and try various types of content instead of spending the next 48 hours farming required to raid competitively.

The 3rd relic slot didn't change at all, now you have to fully complete the class hall campaign and advance your class hall to the maximum level which is tier 6 in order to unlock it. Here's a screenshot for reference: http://i.imgur.com/uDdnz59.jpg

This process takes roughly 1 month of play.

So you don't burn through completely all content in 3 months and whine for the next 6+ months that there is nothing to do. Nobody can code content faster than it can be consumed. So it gets gated or repeated or both.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Time gates are literally the only thing preventing you finishing the content in a flash and getting right back into a year of downtime.

There has always been time gating things. Lockouts, transmute cooldowns, daily reps grinds, etc etc

This is just the current iteration.

7+ Year Old Account

Gating content is made, so you don't consume all there is to do, in less then a week. Some people takes time off for an expansion launch and they can easily use up all the content in a very short time, if there is no gating. Gating is done, so these players don't get frustrated with having no content, even after having played on übercharge.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Deleted
    I would rather have effort gates but wtv

So your saying you cant play the game for more than a month?

Err wrong type of game for you man

Quote Originally Posted by La Rochelle View Post
    They keep time-gating things because it means they have to put out less content, and players have defended this, so it has become accepted at this point. When you speak out against time-gating someone will strawman you and say "oh so you want to just eat up all the content in a week and then have nothing to do so you can complain on the forums when it was really your own fault nagnag" when in reality you just want them to produce more content and not stretch out the little content they have so extremely. I miss the days when there was raid content available from day one, so all that held you back was how fast you could go and get it. Remember TBC? Two whole raid tiers available from day one. 5 raids. Now it has become the standard that you get no raid on launch and then after several weeks you get 1 raid with 7 bosses. Pathetic.
    It has nothing to do with less content, they could make new content updates every month and people would moan about nothing to do, gates make all content they do make last longer. and btw, this is literally only 1 piece of content with a gate...

And dude, the raids are in the expansion from day 1, but delayed so people can level and gear at a reasonable pace, not rushed into it like some chinese sweat shop.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by Isheria View Post
    The 3rd relic slot didn't change at all, now you have to fully complete the class hall campaign and advance your class hall to the maximum level which is tier 6 in order to unlock it. Here's a screenshot for reference: http://i.imgur.com/uDdnz59.jpg

This process takes roughly 1 month of play.
    And they since changed that upgrade back to an additional equippable legendary. Try to keep up with stuff.

Basically, Blizz put time-gates in because otherwise people will burn themselves out grinding everything up immediately because they need it all so badly, and they need everything right now!

After that? they whine that there's nothing left to do and how hard they have to grind to get raid-ready...

It's pretty much the only form of gating that works, u don't want it to feel like a grind. And if u don't gate some content it will be done instantly, thus blizzard spent 100s if not 1000s of hours making content and u just blew through it in a few days.

To be honest, they keep saying the order hall is optional, but what kind of person doesn't want another legendary? That's going to be required for any raid that's actually trying to complete the raid, so I'm not sure why that's gated behind the class hall in general. Especially since the class hall is gated in and of itself, it doesn't seem right to make the class hall a requirement to complete. I don't mind them gating the time behind completing the class hall 100%, but I mind it if there's the extra legendary at the end of completing the hall.

We players have an agreement with Blizzard. Keep our hamster wheels turning, and we'll keep subbing.
    Feed us the cheese in one day, and our sub drops the next day.