Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Better robbed than dead. I really can't see how endless regional wars being better than paying "tax" to the US.

Like all things in life, it's a trade off.
    I would contest that we have a great many regional wars, we had a difficulty for American companies to easily hold power and small skirmishes.

We had two major World Wars in the 20th century.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I would contest that we have a great many regional wars, we had a difficulty for American companies to easily hold power and small skirmishes.

We had two major World Wars in the 20th century.
    The 2 major world wars would not have happened if the British Empire continued to be the dominant world power.

This is the endless wars for domination that I'm talking about.

For most of the 19th century the British were unravelled. Things were relatively peaceful.

When they weaken ...

No one wants a repeat of that. Wars suck balls.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

7+ Year Old Account
    The 2 major world wars would not have happened if the British Empire continued to be the dominant world power.

This is the endless wars for domination that I'm talking about.

For most of the 19th century the British were unravelled. Things were relatively peaceful.

When they weaken ...

No one wants a repeat of that. Wars suck balls.
    Peace for whom?
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Peace for whom?
    Peace as in relatively few wars fucking up people's lives.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    isnt the 35 a VTOL that was in that awful Die Hard movie with the hacker? That type of plane have been shit since the Harrier. Why would they build another one?
    Because a mediocre VTOL jet is still far better than no jet at all. The Falklands are proof of that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Peace as in relatively few wars fucking up people's lives.
    That must not apply to the continents of Africa, Asia and South America. I guess peace for 2.5 out of 5 is "global?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Because a mediocre VTOL jet is still far better than no jet at all. The Falklands are proof of that.
    You calling the Harrier mediocre? I'd consider it an exceptional feet of engineering.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That must not apply to the continents of Africa, Asia and South America. I guess peace for 2.5 out of 5 is "global?"
    No wars? Not as long as humans exist.

But we do have fewer wars under Pax Britannica and Pax Americana - you might have notice my use of the word "relative". I will take any reduction in the number of wars, we can get.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    You calling the Harrier mediocre? I'd consider it an exceptional feet of engineering.
    It is mediocre in performance, range, payload as compared to contemporary conventional aircraft. It is also a very dangerous aircraft to fly. It is vastly superior to the Soviet's pathetic response, the YAK-38.

7+ Year Old Account
    No wars? Not as long as humans exist.

But we do have fewer wars under Pax Britannica and Pax Americana. I will take any reduction in the number of wars, we can get.
    A reduction of wars in certain areas. Of course the use of violence, terror, dispossession, and cruelty remains, perhaps since we don't call it war it becomes not war and thus good.

So yes, under grave tyranny we have a kind of peace. Which is what the quote of Calgacus was about

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    A reduction of wars in certain areas. Of course the use of violence, terror, dispossession, and cruelty remains, perhaps since we don't call it war it becomes not war and thus good.

So yes, under grave tyranny we have a kind of peace. Which is what the quote of Calgacus was about
    Still better than all out war IMHO.

There is no better solution - none implementable nor workable anyway.

Pick your poison.

7+ Year Old Account
    Still better than all out war IMHO.

There is no better solution - none implementable nor workable anyway.

Pick your poison.
    To quote our founders "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither."

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    To quote our founders "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither."
    You live that and tell me how it works out.

What a load of horseshit that people are posting that quote from their comfort of their 1st world homes.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The same person also said:

"But our great security lies, I think, in our growing strength, both in numbers and wealth; … unless, by a neglect of military discipline, we should lose all martial spirit …; for there is much truth in the Italian saying, Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you."

Just saying.
    Well our founders also spoke of Freedom, Liberty and Justice while being served drinks by slaves.

America is of course a land of Hypocrites.

7+ Year Old Account
    But the dominant land of Hypocrites who keep the world safer than it has ever been in the history of mankind.
    That is a bit of a stretch. For example wars declined after the Roman Empire and indeed the lifespans of Europeans rose after Pax Romana.

The sense that we live in a time of peace is a product of a narrow definition of peace, and once more a willing ignorance of the world we inflict our "peace," upon and that damage it does.

One is allowed to criticize the morality of the country trying to enforce peace.

Much like the town rapist may also be great at stopping murders, but he is still the town rapist. Saying "Hey, at least the murder rate is down." is sort of ill comfort.

7+ Year Old Account
    Sure criticize all you want. Just don't deny facts.
    "peace," depends on a narrow definition of peace. Like for example the South had peace in a sense, its order was maintained through regular wiping, mutilations, torture, murder and rape of the slave population as an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    As i understand it, next gen fighter craft might be hybrids. Robots/Remote controlled/Piloted. In a task like the current in Syria for example, you could probably safely use drones. Unless future third world rebels somehow can get their hands on sophisticated EW gear.
    But how do you contaminate a robot with virus if you simply shut down any downlinks and let it operate on its own in danger zone? Probably still sci fi though.

We have been carpet bombed by commercials from Boeing's Super Hornet recently btw. Pretty funny they aim their campaign directly at the citizens - first time i've seen commercials for Fighter planes in the newspapers.

http://superhornet.dk/
    I envision a hybrid situation whereby we have humans flying into combat, but at a standoff range, while they send in partially autonomous drones to do the dirty work. Just the old 'mothership' concept really...a small number of manned aircraft accompanied by a swarm of drones. The drones would be super flexible, you could control them from the ground, from the accompanying manned planes, or operate autonomously. The redundancy covers you against most forms of hostile takeover. Probably just a heavily defended AWAC kinda deal...maybe with some focused energy defenses and a whole lot of little drones, you could even make the drones really tiny and consumable...just have each one armed and able to kamikaze any enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    I envision a hybrid situation whereby we have humans flying into combat, but at a standoff range, while they send in partially autonomous drones to do the dirty work. Just the old 'mothership' concept really...a small number of manned aircraft accompanied by a swarm of drones. The drones would be super flexible, you could control them from the ground, from the accompanying manned planes, or operate autonomously. The redundancy covers you against most forms of hostile takeover. Probably just a heavily defended AWAC kinda deal...maybe with some focused energy defenses and a whole lot of little drones, you could even make the drones really tiny and consumable...just have each one armed and able to kamikaze any enemy.
    Brilliant idea. What could possibly go wrong?

How do you know that Americans don't have empathy for the 11k that died in the Boko Haram insurgency?

Because they didn't "react" to it? Of course if they did, people will claim the US is fucking around in Africa ...

Reality of the matter is, if Africa actively asks for help, the UN (mostly the US and other NATO countries) would probably give a hand in fighting the insurgency. The UN intervened in East Timor after all. But having foreign troops on your soil is really the last resort though as they can actually make things worst.
    I'm sure SOME Americans care about Boko Haram. That's really not the point though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aori View Post
    Make spaceships then!
    The power source is still a major hump we can't get over yet. Until localized fusion reactors become a reality, spaceships (not talking NASA) aren't really going to happen. Even solar sails have a long way to go.