Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    There isn't one "brain power" bar that is spent on one thing or another. Your brain has multiple skills, as anyone else's.

Learning and training usually get most people on a very similar level, few talented people go beyond that.

So while some people may be naturally better at games, their skills or lack thereof in other areas are most likely irrelevant, and you can get on their level if you practise enough.

In other words, git gud.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    You need to understand how the mind functions, and in specific how the average, linear mind functions in comparison to the one of high intellect. Games function in a variety of ways, but linear thought produces more consistent performances, which are advantageous because games tend to offer narrow performance outputs. For instance, an FPS-game only gives you the choice - upon meeting an enemy - to shoot and do very few other things. But, it is primarily about shooting, and shooting requires very good linear thinking, because you need to be almost reflexive at it. A deep thinker will ultimately fail in such a game, because he gets more breaks in the mind, giving room for more error in performance; a deadly thing in such a linear-thinking-friendly game.

If you are of high intellect, I'd bet you suck very much. This isn't to insult you, but to tell you what you already know - that is, if you're a deep thinker.
    If you are deep-thinking on such topics, you are not of high intellect flexibility. Develop your plasticity and "linear thinking" pathways, lest you appear stupid to those far less intellectual.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    I couldn't really get past this as the narcissism and arrogance skyrocketed right off. Not really a great starter for conversation.
    It's not my fault that it's true.

Well, many games are watered down so that the 'masses' can play them...so you may be onto something.

I'm joking. Partially. I think.

So should I pat OP on the back too, or is he satisfied patting himself on the back?

You need to understand how the mind functions, and in specific how the average, linear mind functions in comparison to the one of high intellect. Games function in a variety of ways, but linear thought produces more consistent performances, which are advantageous because games tend to offer narrow performance outputs. For instance, an FPS-game only gives you the choice - upon meeting an enemy - to shoot and do very few other things. But, it is primarily about shooting, and shooting requires very good linear thinking, because you need to be almost reflexive at it. A deep thinker will ultimately fail in such a game, because he gets more breaks in the mind, giving room for more error in performance; a deadly thing in such a linear-thinking-friendly game.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are of high intellect, I'd bet you suck very much. This isn't to insult you, but to tell you what you already know - that is, if you're a deep thinker.
    Lets take the 90% this is a troll out of this.

You're not describing intelligent vs non intelligent, your just describing how the brain functions differently for everyone. And this boils down to, you have to provide a link to two items, that intelligence is related to blockages in brain functionality and that, that blockage is the root cause of your assertion of slower reflexes....maybe also that there is no there item that may be triggering slower reflexes.

Either way, this isnt a topic for MMO, becuase maybe 3 people are educated enough to talk on this topic.
    Last edited by usiris; 2016-04-24 at 10:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulune View Post
    Since when is being able to focus on a task a sign of ignorance?

Oh wait, you're just a troll.

Carry on.
    Focus doesn't imply consistent performance. Give more thought to OP's next time Sir.

A deep thinker will use his abstract thinking to perform, and abstract thought is often inconsistent; it comes in all kinds and shapes. Linear thinking does not, and linear thinking can make use of the "holes" created by the abstract mind to gain an advantage over it in games created for the masses (hint: most/all? games).

Stupid people enjoy games a lot more because they take them for what they are, a game

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Stupid people enjoy games a lot more because they take them for what they are, a game
    I posit the opposite is true. Deep thinkers better immerse themselves in the virtual reality, and let their minds focus on the wonderful features that are emitted from their screens. This, too, can make the deep-thinker's mind get in the wrong, and let the average linear kind gain an advantage.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Have you played FPS games? If you are intelligent, chances are you are bad.
    I could agree with this, intellectual thinkers are probably thinking way too complex in situations that really call for a simple solution. Especially FPS's that's why young teens and little kids are great at CoD and CS type games.

You cannot change the brain of people very much, sorry. If you are not intuitive, intelligent, you won't become it either... lol.

- - - Updated - - -

They are. This isn't up for discussion.

Edit: especially outside of Europe. And this isn't up to discussion either.
    Just because you think it's true doesn't make it so. Sorry.

Not to mention people excel in different areas when it comes to intelligence. So your argument is shit at best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    Lets take the 90% this is a troll out of this.

You're not describing intelligent vs non intelligent, your just describing how the brain functions differently for everyone. And this boils down to, you have to provide a link to two items, that intelligence is related to blockages in brain functionality and that, that blockage is the root cause of your assertion of slower reflexes....maybe also that there is no there item that may be triggering slower reflexes.
    Most linear thinkers are close to average in intellect. The higher you go up in intelligence, the more creative people get. That's also the reason why Europeans are so varying and have outstanding individuals like philosophers, scientists, etc.; it's because Europeans have more than others (percentage-wise) highly intelligent people.

People should ask themselves why great thinkers like Aristotle, Plato, Kant, Einstein et al. wouldn't be able to excel in consistent fashion at video games.

I'll take your word for your superior abstract thinking but I think you may need to work on your social awareness. :3
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    I could agree with this, intellectual thinkers are probably thinking way too complex in situations that really call for a simple solution. Especially FPS's that's why young teens and little kids are great at CoD and CS type games.
    Thank you. It's lovely to see a person see sense and understand the reality that faces deep thinkers in the gaming world.

Most linear thinkers are close to average in intellect. The higher you go up in intelligence, the more creative people get. That's also the reason why Europeans are so varying and have outstanding individuals like philosophers, scientists, etc.; it's because Europeans have more than others (percentage-wise) highly intelligent people.

People should ask themselves why great thinkers like Aristotle, Plato, Kant, Einstein et al. wouldn't be able to excel in consistent fashion at video games.
    Great! Show me some peer reviewed articles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you played FPS games? If you are intelligent, chances are you are bad.
    So, basicly you never got to play with the good guys in FPS games and you're trying to cover it up with fancy words and anecdotal shit shat about intellegence? Mkay. :3
    Thundercunts and stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    Great! Show me some peer reviewed articles.
    Wait until I get money to fund such a study. Usually there isn't enough funding by the masses (guess why ) for something like this.

I think you're over analyzing. It isn't the intelligence that determines a good player. There are two factors in modern shooters-- Twitch reflex and practice. About 1 in 4 people has an extra fast twitch reflex, while about another quarter have a slower than normal reflex. One can practice and improve reflex, but still, the ones with naturally faster reflex will pull ahead, even if just slightly.
    Some of the fastest gamers in the world are quite intelligent. Go look a speed runners. These guys have super reflex and they work out tactics that can boggle the mind.
    On top of that there is something else to consider. Ego. A huge ego can wreck a good team, because that one person is great at the game, they will overreach trying to compensate for perceived failings from their teammates. Or they simply worry about their stats and not a win. 57 kills 2 deaths sounds good on paper, but when your team loses because you were off corpse farming in stead of helping defend the bomb/flag/hill, I consider it bad gameplay.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by plastkaze View Post
    So, basicly you never got to play with the good guys in FPS games and you're trying to cover it up with fancy words and anecdotal shit shat about intellegence? Mkay. :3
    I'm bad at FPS games, sure. I have a mind that is not very good at doing something so overly simple and more relying on the physical than mental, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait until I get money to fund such a study. Usually there isn't enough funding by the masses (guess why ) for something like this.
    So basically everything your saying is bullshit since you made it up in your own mind and have no evidence or studies to prove it? Gotcha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.