Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    I could agree with this, intellectual thinkers are probably thinking way too complex in situations that really call for a simple solution. Especially FPS's that's why young teens and little kids are great at CoD and CS type games.
    Generally FPS takes two primary types of skills - reaction skills and peripheral awareness. Neither of these are products of stupidity. Intelligence comes from all sorts of various capabilities. A person isn't required to be bad at some to be good at others. A person who is good at quick reactions and being aware of peripheral events instead of tunnel-vision are best at FPS. I'm not very good at FPS, but I don't rationalize based on needing to figure out how I'm superior to everyone.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

So, let me get this straight: If you are good and consistent at things that require moderate to high levels of hand eye coordiantion and choosing quickly (reflexively) between a fixed and limited (by game environement) numbers of reaction patterns this is indicative of a lack of capacity for creative thinking and therefore/also means the person is intellectually inferior?

Is that what OP is saying or am I misunderstanding this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    So basically everything your saying is bullshit since you made it up in your own mind and have no evidence or studies to prove it? Gotcha.
    It is so sad when average people ask for evidence. It is one of the hallmarks of the average linear thinker; he is unable to read into what is being said, and understand that it builds on already understood mind mechanisms, so instead he chooses the linear way of escape that is to ask, "What's the evidence? "

Such sad lives they live.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    Wait until I get money to fund such a study. Usually there isn't enough funding by the masses (guess why ) for something like this.
    Why are we continuing this thread then?

This thread will just morph into what skills are needed for X genre of game.
    Last edited by usiris; 2016-04-24 at 11:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    So, let me get this straight: If you are good and consistent at things that require moderate to high levels of hand eye coordiantion and choosing quickly (reflexively) between a fixed and limited (by game environement) numbers of reaction patterns this is indicative of a lack of capacity for creative thinking and therefore/also means the person is intellectually inferior?

Is that what OP is saying or am I misunderstanding this?
    I think the OP is just trying way to hard to sound smart and in turn is making himself out to be a complete moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Hm....

In games which encourage creative and non-linear thinking, (such as chess, or other similar games) i do quite well.

Yet, in games such as FPS, it's more about reflex than anything else. There are certainly different levels, different weapons, different paths to victory. So I wouldn't classify it as linear games. Those games reward those who react quicker, adapt and adjust on the fly to the opposing forces.

If you mean games which are strictly linear (such as racing, which is pretty much just one path to victory), I have done well, and i have been defeated profoundly by others. It's more based on their talents, not their intelligence quota.

All in all, there are actually seven types of intelligence. Linear thinkers aren't stupid at all. I feel sorry for you because you think that way.

As the poster above me mentioned,
    Uncreative.
    Non-intuitive.
    Generally close-to-average in terms of intellect.
    Stupid.
    Linear-thinkers.

are NOT linked together.

I have met creative thinkers who aren't book smart. I have met linear thinkers who are wise beyond their years. I have seen intelligent people post stupid postings. Point being, don't lump those all in the same boat.

I'm bad at FPS games, sure. I have a mind that is not very good at doing something so overly simple and more relying on the physical than mental, lol.
    You are making it rather hilarious. "I'm bad at this, therefore I'm smarter than all these stupids who are better!" Logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is so sad when average people ask for evidence. It is one of the hallmarks of the average linear thinker; he is unable to read into what is being said, and understand that it builds on already understood mind mechanisms, so instead he chooses the linear way of escape that is to ask, "What's the evidence? "

I am reading into you. You are full of shit. Didn't take a rock scientist to figure it out o.O
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm bad at FPS games, sure. I have a mind that is not very good at doing something so overly simple and more relying on the physical than mental, lol.
    So, you're saying your anecdotal evidence (as in, only yourself and your selfclaimed intelligence) is enough to prove anything? Right-o. u 4 relz bro!?
    I'll counter with my anecdotal evidence: Come friend X, architect by profession and education. Also, full course civil engineer education, plus he's studying bridge physics as a hobby. Awesome guy at FPS and Moba style games.
    Wait what, this doesnt add up..
    Thundercunts and stuff

Having a skeptical mindset is now a sign of .. "average intelligence"? I usually try to take people at their word, but you trolling bro.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by plastkaze View Post
    So, you're saying your anecdotal evidence (as in, only yourself and your selfclaimed intelligence) is enough to prove anything? Right-o. u 4 relz bro!?
    I'll counter with my anecdotal evidence: Come friend X, architect by profession and education. Also, full course civil engineer education, plus he's studying bridge physics as a hobby. Awesome guy at FPS and Moba style games.
    Wait what, this doesnt add up..
    Yea, it does. I bet he'd never be able to write say, an interesting story. He is a linear thinker, but obviously above average. That's why he is good at such games. They're made for such thinking.

O Eastern Europe, never change. I'm sure the Ottomans ran your show for 500 years because they were so stupid right? If you wanna launch into a circle jerk about European superiority at least be kind and remove yourselves from the equation.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say having what you'd call a 'Linear Intelligence' would be detrimental to almost any Multiplayer type of game, as the people who do the worst are the people who have no situational awareness and refuse to adapt (Either out of an inability to learn how, or a stubbornness to refuse to). They're the kind of people who'll pick one strategy all the time without thinking about it, and think it works because of the 4 out of 10 times it works for them. It's called 'Tunnel Vision'.

I'd say a 'Deep Thinker' has a better shot at most multiplayer games, because they can adapt to situations better, generally are more aware of the map (Where ambush points are, how their team/their opponent's team can use them, how to react to particular hero/weapon picks, ect.) So I'd say whatever badness you have isn't because 'Lol Shooters are for stupid people', it's because your own head's so far up your own ass that you don't realize what you're doing wrong and place the blame on your own poor performance on other people's (lack of) skill.

I whole-heartedly agree with everything hypothesized by the OP. Keep up the good work, and don't let these low-energy, low-intellect morons deter you from pursuing the research that proves all of these predictions to be true. They're just angry that not only are they stupid, but they're also bad at video games.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-04-25 at 03:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

I would argue the bolded part is true for you assuming you are this super intelligent being you claim to be. Having to live amongst us mere mortals when you have such gifts to give us that we are too stupid to receive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Having a skeptical mindset is now a sign of .. "average intelligence"? I usually try to take people at their word, but you trolling bro.
    Nah, it's just that if you do not accept his word as the one true word of god, you're stupid and unintelligent

Which I have no doubt he thinks everyone else is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me guess OP, you're a real hit with the ladies, right?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Yeah this is just the most desperate attempt at an excuse for sucking at games.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, it does. I bet he'd never be able to write say, an interesting story. He is a linear thinker, but obviously above average. That's why he is good at such games. They're made for such thinking.

I still think you're just jealous.

(Trying to figure out what being a non-linear thinker has got to do with writing an interesting story, PLEASE SUPERIOR MIND EDUCATE THE MASSES!)
    Thundercunts and stuff

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    I'd say having what you'd call a 'Linear Intelligence' would be detrimental to almost any Multiplayer type of game, as the people who do the worst are the people who have no situational awareness and refuse to adapt (Either out of an inability to learn how, or a stubbornness to refuse to). They're the kind of people who'll pick one strategy all the time without thinking about it, and think it works because of the 4 out of 10 times it works for them. It's called 'Tunnel Vision'.

I'd say a 'Deep Thinker' has a better shot at most multiplayer games, because they can adapt to situations better, generally are more aware of the map (Where ambush points are, how their team/their opponent's team can use them, how to react to particular hero/weapon picks, ect.) So I'd say whatever badness you have isn't because 'Lol Shooters are for stupid people', it's because your own head's so far up your own ass that you don't realize what you're doing wrong and place the blame on your own poor performance on other people's (lack of) skill.
    Linear thinking is not mutually exclusive with awareness. You can understand why certain "moves" are useful in certain situations, and use them. That's linear thinking. It's simple. It's the mechanism of the simple-minded individual.

League of Legends, FPS games, whatnot - all perfectly made for casual people, i.e., linear thinkers.