Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I've never before heard someone say "He was so smart he couldn't figure out how to beat his opponent". XD

Quote Originally Posted by Mirkzat View Post
    You need to understand how the mind functions, and in specific how the average, linear mind functions in comparison to the one of high intellect. Games function in a variety of ways, but linear thought produces more consistent performances, which are advantageous because games tend to offer narrow performance outputs. For instance, an FPS-game only gives you the choice - upon meeting an enemy - to shoot and do very few other things. But, it is primarily about shooting, and shooting requires very good linear thinking, because you need to be almost reflexive at it. A deep thinker will ultimately fail in such a game, because he gets more breaks in the mind, giving room for more error in performance; a deadly thing in such a linear-thinking-friendly game.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are of high intellect, I'd bet you suck very much. This isn't to insult you, but to tell you what you already know - that is, if you're a deep thinker.
    I don't think this applies to gaming or real life. I think you try to justify your moments of hesitation by glorifying them, turning them into moments of intense processing. Overthinking makes you just as dumb as underthinking as the result is pretty much the same.

While playing wow, in any new circumstances, i will most likely have a list of priorities, that refer to both my skills and to the order in which i choose to tackle my opponents. The list of priorities can change dinamicly as the conditions of the fight change, in the case in which i am not in full control. I am not going to brag about what i have achieved in WoW, you'll just have to believe me that i am a very efficient player (aka good blabla).

There was a time when i used to put people into categories and that time has long passed. All humans, no matter their level of intelligence (as perceived by others), have qualities and lesser qualities. You get to understand this after quite a life experience, or if you are able to learn from it. All great leaders choose their "soldiers" as pieces of a puzzle, where the puzzle itself is whole, not the individual. This great team (the puzzle) is comprised of people that complement each-other, in cases in which some fail, others shine and at the end of the day everyone congratulates each-other and the bond strenghtens.

Maybe it's more to stuff than you can see at first, why not have a look from another perspective?

Let me explain so you, an average man, can understand.

I play better than them. I play less consistently good. So, my great performance is akin to Antarctica, and low to a barren field of sand. The average, linear thinker is always sort of in-between, so to say. When I hit that low, his low is not low enough to be sub-par to mine. Get it? This is so easy to comprehend, like...

However, in FPS games, obviously my "great performance" is rare because that game isn't suited for great thinkers.
    Surprised you could fit any text in that box with your ego. You have no proof that you possess more intellect than any random player. Online games are mostly anonymous, and while most console fps games are fielded by young players(13-24), their age says little abut their intelligence. Your thinking is very very much like a linear thinker, by the way. A lateral thinker would not attach to a single explanation for a concept, they would explore a range of ideas and experiences to draw a less generalized concept. Many of the people who responded to you were attempting to show you lateral concepts and you outright attacked their intellect, which is also a very linear though process.
    Since you think that linear thinkers must be stupid because they're not(or are) like you. I'm afraid you might have caught the stupid.

Edited to fix a copy/paste failure.
    Last edited by Gilgemesh; 2016-04-24 at 11:31 PM.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Absolutely, and it's a great skill to have as a teen/young adult. I honestly wish my reflexes were better tbh, but we are all made differently I guess.
    So do I. Dark souls III. All these people are like "this enemy is so easy, all ya gotta do is parry them!". I'm like riiiiiiight, just parry! -.-;
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaoke View Post
    Look...enough with the 'my style is amazing' crap. Video games are binary when playing against other players. You win or you lose. As an intelligent player, you play to maximize winning.

Your flashy style or whatever you call it to support your losing habits does not maximize winning. You're playing a game, to win, and you're telling us you can't do it.

Does that really make you intelligent? I thought intelligent people knew how to achieve a goal.
    There are many forms of intelligence.

I think you have to be somewhat lacking in intellectual curiosity to get really good at fps, because of the mindlessly repetitive nature of the task.
    It is not so much about achieving a goal as gaining no pleasure from achieving it. To use a famous quote from baseball, you have to be smart
    enough to play well but dumb enough to think that it matters.

For similar reasons I don't do much arena in warcraft. Running around a pillar like a character in a demented Benny Hill sketch just isn't that appealing.
    Does that make me smarter than people that do? No. Does it make me more intellectually curious. Probably. Does it make me less focused and goal-orientated. Yes.

These things are complex.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    So do I. Dark souls III. All these people are like "this enemy is so easy, all ya gotta do is parry them!". I'm like riiiiiiight, just parry! -.-;
    lol, I still haven't gotten around to DSIII yet, it's on the list, I promise.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    Surprised you could fit any text in that box with your ego. You have no proof that you possess more intellect than any random player. Online games are mostly anonymous, and while most console fps games are fielded by young players(13-24), your thinking is very very much like a linear thinker, by the way. A lateral thinker would not attach to a single explanation for a concept, they would explore a range of ideas and experiences to draw a less generalized concept. Many of the people who responded to you were attempting to show you lateral concepts and you outright attacked their intellect, which is also a very linear though process.
    Since you think that linear thinkers must be stupid because they're not(or are) like you. I'm afraid you might have caught the stupid.
    This is one of the most hilarious posts I've read here. This person, for instance, thinks that me proposing this as the best explanation is the same as thinking it's the only one out there... lol.

I mean, the reason I spend little time writing brief responses is because most of you don't even get the point in the OP. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibalus View Post
    I don't think this applies to gaming or real life. I think you try to justify your moments of hesitation by glorifying them, turning them into moments of intense processing. Overthinking makes you just as dumb as underthinking as the result is pretty much the same.

While playing wow, in any new circumstances, i will most likely have a list of priorities, that refer to both my skills and to the order in which i choose to tackle my opponents. The list of priorities can change dinamicly as the conditions of the fight change, in the case in which i am not in full control. I am not going to brag about what i have achieved in WoW, you'll just have to believe me that i am a very efficient player (aka good blabla).

There was a time when i used to put people into categories and that time has long passed. All humans, no matter their level of intelligence (as perceived by others), have qualities and lesser qualities. You get to understand this after quite a life experience, or if you are able to learn from it. All great leaders choose their "soldiers" as pieces of a puzzle, where the puzzle itself is whole, not the individual. This great team (the puzzle) is comprised of people that complement each-other, in cases in which some fail, others shine and at the end of the day everyone congratulates each-other and the bond strenghtens.

Maybe it's more to stuff than you can see at first, why not have a look from another perspective?
    OP has a slow OODA loop and people get inside of it rendering him unable to respond effectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

This is one of the most hilarious posts I've read here. This person, for instance, thinks that me proposing this as the best explanation is the same as thinking it's the only one out there... lol.

I mean, the reason I spend little time writing brief responses is because most of you don't even get the point in the OP. Lol.
    Plenty of people get the point of your OP, they're just smart enough to disagree with your single-minded reasoning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalia View Post
    Absolutely, and it's a great skill to have as a teen/young adult. I honestly wish my reflexes were better tbh, but we are all made differently I guess.
    Same for me. I used to play WoW pretty hardcore and was terrible at other types of games. But now I am still competent in WoW just not like I used to be.

I have always been bad at shooters and RTS games, I always played RPG's, JRPG's and action RPG's but now I am pretty good at RTS games but still suck at shooters. But I am decent at Overwatch, not the best and not the worst, but at least I enjoy it lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I don't suck. People are always amazed at how I play. My style is one in a million; I do things in a shadowy fashion, and in higher quality than almost anyone. My problem is lack of consistency, and linear people making use of it.
    So you get lucky? ROFL! "Shadowy fashion" what's this idiocy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Deleted
    OP has a slow OODA loop and people get inside of it rendering him unable to respond effectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop
    Rukh, You're the least intelligent of all posters here, and I am sorry for offending you in the OP. I find it funny that you continue to display your anger because I vented against your kind, but that's because I find it good to say.

Bloodsail Admiral
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Same for me. I used to play WoW pretty hardcore and was terrible at other types of games. But now I am still competent in WoW just not like I used to be.

I have always been bad at shooters and RTS games, I always played RPG's, JRPG's and action RPG's but now I am pretty good at RTS games but still suck at shooters. But I am decent at Overwatch, not the best and not the worst, but at least I enjoy it lol.
    I think that's the important thing that a lot of people really forget nowadays. The entire point of video games, unless you are playing competitively, is to just have fun!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll never figure out parry times in that game (I'm sure it would make the last boss a breeze), so I'm stuck just figuring out dodge windows and recovery time, which in itself is another fun hassle xD

Let me explain so you, an average man, can understand.

I play better than them. I play less consistently good. So, my great performance is akin to Antarctica, and low to a barren field of sand. The average, linear thinker is always sort of in-between, so to say. When I hit that low, his low is not low enough to be sub-par to mine. Get it? This is so easy to comprehend, like...

However, in FPS games, obviously my "great performance" is rare because that game isn't suited for great thinkers.
    Great. That explains why im beastly sometimes and absolute shite at other times..

Im a fucking genius.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarange View Post
    Great. That explains why im beastly sometimes and absolute shite at other times..

Im a fucking genius.
    Nah, you're just not so much a linear thinker. Good for you.

Rukh, You're the least intelligent of all posters here, and I am sorry for offending you in the OP. I find it funny that you continue to display your anger because I vented against your kind, but that's because I find it good to say.
    fite me in CoD bro!

I'm the least intelligent of all posters here which is why I firmly believe that I come across as intelligent.
    Fixed, now it reflects reality. ^^

Nah, you're just not so much a linear thinker. Good for you.
    No, shut up. I have already made my mind.

FPS games.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, but most linear thinkers are average.
    So they have an advantage yet they are average. Your topic is falling apart rather quickly.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."