Tanks, please help.

I haven't played WoW since WoD launched for the most part and I am out of the loop in terms of information. I plan to return to the game enough to do the new 5 man greater rift dungeon thingies. When I played I tanked and I tanked on a blood DK, which in much of my play time lacked in terms of DPS and mobility. I assume DPS and mobility are going to be rather important in timed instance clear content. I also realize that the final number tuning isn't done and thus actually dps may vary greatly compared to current numbers.

My question is, in terms of overall utility/feel/performance which tank seems like it's going to carry the most weight for clearing the new dungeon content? I'm less concerned with dps compared to having utility/mobility but dps shouldn't be ignored. For reference as a blood dk for a long time, mobility hasn't ever been a thing for us, beyond that dps also hasn't been a thing with us for the most part. Or utility, outside of that nice set bonus that let our vampiric blood increase raid healing received in dragon soul I think it was.

At first glance, (which might be VERY VERY wrong) Paladin is looking as strong as always while bear is shaping up to be pretty invincible in terms of damage reduction. I'm really liking the feel of Vengance tanking because it's self-healy like DK but mobile like monk, though I detest their active mitigation is parry. AM really needs to be guaranteed damage reduction, that's kind of the whole point of it in my opinion. Using AM and then getting hit in the face beause even with the bonus parry you still didn't parry just sounds awful.

At any rate, people in alpha, how do the tanks feel with a focus on tanking in the new scaling dungeon content? In particular, how does the Vengance AM feel? Am I over-reacting to it being parry and thus rng? Are they basically mobile death knights? (Which would make me happy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    I haven't played WoW since WoD launched for the most part and I am out of the loop in terms of information. I plan to return to the game enough to do the new 5 man greater rift dungeon thingies. When I played I tanked and I tanked on a blood DK, which in much of my play time lacked in terms of DPS and mobility. I assume DPS and mobility are going to be rather important in timed instance clear content. I also realize that the final number tuning isn't done and thus actually dps may vary greatly compared to current numbers.

My question is, in terms of overall utility/feel/performance which tank seems like it's going to carry the most weight for clearing the new dungeon content? I'm less concerned with dps compared to having utility/mobility but dps shouldn't be ignored. For reference as a blood dk for a long time, mobility hasn't ever been a thing for us, beyond that dps also hasn't been a thing with us for the most part. Or utility, outside of that nice set bonus that let our vampiric blood increase raid healing received in dragon soul I think it was.

At first glance, (which might be VERY VERY wrong) Paladin is looking as strong as always while bear is shaping up to be pretty invincible in terms of damage reduction. I'm really liking the feel of Vengance tanking because it's self-healy like DK but mobile like monk, though I detest their active mitigation is parry. AM really needs to be guaranteed damage reduction, that's kind of the whole point of it in my opinion. Using AM and then getting hit in the face beause even with the bonus parry you still didn't parry just sounds awful.

At any rate, people in alpha, how do the tanks feel with a focus on tanking in the new scaling dungeon content? In particular, how does the Vengance AM feel? Am I over-reacting to it being parry and thus rng? Are they basically mobile death knights? (Which would make me happy.)
    paladin is boring
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    paladin is boring
    Is it very easy to stay alive compared to other tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    I appreciate both viewpoints, but most tanks seem boring now? At the very least boring is the main reason I'm considering switching from DK. It might not have been as complex as sequencing the human genome but maxing breath and living was SOMETHING to do. I can tolerate boring if it's ahead in terms at least 2/3 of Utility/Mobility/DPS. (Which DK has not been, barring fights where AoE death grip was the bee's knee's)
    Last edited by Museigen; 2016-04-25 at 02:52 AM.

My question is, in terms of overall utility/feel/performance which tank seems like it's going to carry the most weight for clearing the new dungeon content?
    Whatever answer you will get now will likely not be the same for Legion. Changes are big (ie, someone mentioned blood - they might end up being very, very meh and boring compared to what they were, losing the crown of best soloers).

*oops i thought u asked for WoD, not legion alpha...

Paladin is the reliable and simple choice with a TON of utility, usually 4 times more team-support spells compared to other tanks.
    Paladins are capable of protecting and healing themselves as well as party members, they got reliable AOE and decent crowd control.

All the other tank classes got some advantages (like warrior's mobility or DK's situational spells) but Paladins got reliable and consistent tools.
    Last edited by Aleksej89; 2016-04-25 at 07:38 AM.

every tank except warrior is pretty dull on alpha atm. might not be when hitting live but warriors APM with win/lose ratio is far more exiting than any other class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Looking at it paladin is seeming to be the clear winner so far, thanks for the input people.

Quote Originally Posted by sykoex View Post
    I have not played the other tank classes on alpha. All I have to say so far is that our buttons are dumbed down to where we can easily play with a console controller, and our self healing/shielding abilities have been removed to make us too reliant on healers for what is supposed to be a hybrid tank/healer class.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    ... how does the Vengance AM feel? Am I over-reacting to it being parry and thus rng? Are they basically mobile death knights? (Which would make me happy.)
    Vengeance DHs have a pretty solid tank toolkit tbh. Their mitigation isnt just parry either. This isnt complete list, just what i can think of off the top of my head:
    -They have 3min Meta CD for 30% Hp
    -Short CD Demon Spikes for parry+armor (iirc)
    -Short CD magic mitigation tool
    -1min CD for single target dot that also reduces the damage the targetted mob does to you for X seconds.
    -Solid self healing mechanic that plays similar to DKs death strike where you can generate and pool soul fragments using Shear then consume them on demand or immediately after a big hit using soul cleave.
    -The powerful self heal component of soul cleave itself.
    -One of your artifact traits grants health leech based on fire damage you do. And there are several abilities/talents that augment or grant fire damage, allowing one some control of his/her leech.
    -Sigils grant ranged, ground targettable effects, such as fire damage for snap threat and leech, ranged aoe silence, and ranged mass grip.
    -Literally unmatched mobility.

All in all, the class does have a playstyle heavily reminiscent of Blood DKs - only better imo. More fun at least. Until tuning is done, nobody can really say how the tanks will end up comparing.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-04-25 at 05:47 PM.