Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Descriptions of Herakles include:

"Hieronymus (of Rhodes) the philosopher describes the make of his body, as tall, bristling-haired, robust"

"Dicaearchus (student of Aristotle) says that he was square-built, muscular, dark, hook-nosed, with greyish eyes and long hair"

Descriptions of the Ancient Greeks themselves were typically dark haired, some with fair hair and the occasional red head, though it is relative as if you have dark hair then someone with light brown hair would look fair to you and if you lighten dark hair it oftens goes a reddish colour.

Skin tones were described as being lighter than Egyptians, but darker than those Europeans living further North.

Statues, Roman copies of paintings and most evidence from their writings show them having dark hair and various shades of tanned skin, women being generally paler skinned.

Basically they looked a lot like modern Greeks, so the majority had olive skin and dark brown hair, getting lighter colouring as you move North.

Some of the Gods were said to have fair hair, some dark hair, however descriptions could vary from place-to-place and over time, but I do not recall any descriptions of blue-eyed Gods. They all pretty much resembled Greeks - man creates God in his own image, so the Greek Gods appearing remarkably like Greeks is not particularly surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate pointing out the obvious. But the Greeks of many eras were known for making sculptures that depicted themselves. Pottery and mosaics that depicted themselves. They drew everything... scenes from mythology... dick pics.

So if someone wants reference material for the appearance of Hellenic or Classical Greeks. Why not go look at how they depicted themselves?

Maybe its too obvious an answer. Or this thread is really about racially trolling Greeks?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    What I'm "getting at" is I'm writing a script that is going to tell a very different tale than the "Disney Hercules", it is going to be an epic tale akin to "300" or "IMMORTALS" that tells the story of the hatred that Hera has (he's a constant reminder of the betrayal of Zeus) for Heracles into madness, murders his family, prays to Apollos to forgiveness, and takes on the challenges of the King to regain his glory. It's a very different idea than your typical "Hercules" movie which is always riddled even in subliminal ways of the Disney telling of the story. I want to tell the story the GREEK people would have believed and how they saw the events unfold, as if it were real, not a roman romanticized version which is what your typical Hercules is.
    Euripides was a Greek playwright. Heracles is a Greek tragedy from the height of the Classical period, and it's not a warm and fuzzy Disney story. It's a Greek story about a Greek demigod written by a Greek man for a Greek audience in a Greek drama competition (the City Dionysia).

Have you read it, or are you assuming that Disney's Hercules is somehow the only version of the myth that exists?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

You can usually figure out how dark people are by how much sunshine there is during a year, darker skinned people don't get skin cancer as easily as pale people but they also don't make as much vitamin D.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    No offense man but in a world of libraries and internet, you go to a random gaming website first? Do research. Compare sources. Don't ask someone to provide a reliable source, make up your own mind - so you can judge yourself what is reliable based on evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    No offense man but in a world of libraries and internet, you go to a random gaming website first? Do research. Compare sources. Don't ask someone to provide a reliable source, make up your own mind - so you can judge yourself what is reliable based on evidence.
    Yeah, why the hell would somebody want to socialize with people with whom they identify and gather information socially?

They might inadvertently trigger a discussion. Forums are for telling people they shouldn't use forums for anything.

Well no matter what you do it can't be worse then

"Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I ll tell you a few words that may help you.Hellenes where Mediteranean people, which means mediteranean characteristics, BUT from region to region they differed, Cretans from Thracians and Macedonians where different. The common thing was the religion,the culture and the language with variations and dialects. How they viewd the religion? Like today the uneducated viewd it literally, and those educated knew that Ancient Hellenic (which is a much better and righter word to use than Greek) Religion was a metaphor through Myth and Legend of a kind of 'science",an attempt of a first explanation of the Cosmos. Thats why it was also a physiolatric religion, especially in comparison with the Abrahaamic religions. It had to do more with the worship of Peruns/Perkons, Odin/Wuotan,Cernunnos etc and other "pagan" religions as christians call them today,than with Greece's today religion (cause now(today) we speak about Greeks,not Hellenes...) and jesus on its core and "dogma" (ancient Hellenic religion didnt have a "dogma",at least not with the same sense as the absolute dogma of Islam/Christianism/judaism and their heresies).
    Source: I am bored of posting anyone,but with a little search you will see if i am right or not,and i urge you to read,mostly the ancient scripts than others speaking about them,else you will listen to some others opinion and not about what it REALLy was,which i think its better visible if you read them yourself. I am currently working on a metal album with Ancient Greek lyrics and the lyrical theme is "Science and Atheism through the Ancient Hellenic Religion and Philosophy", and i have done a big research in the original scripts of many Hellene Philosophers and Scientists such as Epicurus,Democretus and many more in the original language cause i happen to be a Greek (Hellene i wanna believe!). i hope i helped you a bit bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Here is an easy 5 step program to find out:

Step 1: Find the time period you wanna investigate.
    Step 2: Find the specific place you wanna investigate
    Step 3: Learn the language they spoke back then.
    Step 4: Build time machine.
    Step 5: Travel back in time and ask them yourself.
    Yeah cause thats really helping the guy /rolleyes

The story is fake.
    Make up your own.