Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

BioViva [update]: first gene therapy successful against human aging

Link: http://www.neuroscientistnews.com/re...st-human-aging

American woman gets biologically younger after gene therapies

In September 2015, then 44 year-old CEO of BioViva USA Inc. Elizabeth Parrish received two of her own company's experimental gene therapies: one to protect against loss of muscle mass with age, another to battle stem cell depletion responsible for diverse age-related diseases and infirmities.

The treatment was originally intended to demonstrate the safety of the latest generation of the therapies. But if early data is accurate, it is already the world's first successful example of telomere lengthening via gene therapy in a human individual. Gene therapy has been used to lengthen telomeres before in cultured cells and in mice, but never in a human patient.

Telomeres are short segments of DNA which cap the ends of every chromosome, acting as 'buffers' against wear and tear. They shorten with every cell division, eventually getting too short to protect the chromosome, causing the cell to malfunction and the body to age.

In September 2015, telomere data taken from Parrish's white blood cells by SpectraCell's specialized clinical testing laboratory in Houston, Texas, immediately before therapies were administered, revealed that Parrish's telomeres were unusually short for her age, leaving her vulnerable to age-associated diseases earlier in life.

In March 2016, the same tests taken again by SpectraCell revealed that her telomeres had lengthened by approximately 20 years, from 6.71kb to 7.33kb, implying that Parrish's white blood cells (leukocytes) have become biologically younger. These findings were independently verified by the Brussels-based non-profit HEALES (Healthy Life Extension Company), and the Biogerontology Research Foundation, a UK-based charity committed to combating age-related diseases.

Parrish's reaction: "Current therapeutics offer only marginal benefits for people suffering from diseases of aging. Additionally, lifestyle modification has limited impact for treating these diseases. Advances in biotechnology is the best solution, and if these results are anywhere near accurate, we've made history", Parrish said.

Bioviva will continue to monitor Parrish's blood for months and years to come. Meanwhile, BioViva will be testing new gene therapies and combination gene therapies to restore age related damage. It remains to be seen whether the success in leukocytes can expanded to other tissues and organs, and repeated in future patients. For now all the answers lie in the cells of Elizabeth Parrish, 'patient zero' of restorative gene therapy.

Since her first gene therapy injections BioViva has received global interest from both the scientific and investment communities. Earlier this month BioViva became a portfolio company of Deep Knowledge Life Sciences (DKLS), a London-based investment fund which aims to accelerate the development of biotechnologies for healthy longevity.

Dmitry Kaminskiy, founding partner of DKLS, said "BioViva has the potential to create breakthroughs in human gene therapy research, while leapfrogging companies in the biotech market."
    Literally the stuff of sci-fi, now scientifically and independently proven to be real!

It's all fun and games until Granny eats your face after getting her "gene therapy."
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I'm not entirely convinced that we're going to get impartial verification from those two sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    It's all fun and games until Granny eats your face after getting her "gene therapy."
    I'm safe then because both my grandmas are dead.

I would just like my metabolism back from when I was 16-18, Aging ....eeeehhh..."1/3 Ahead please Mr Scott."

Deleted
    It's so amazing seeing all these breakthroughs being made, knowing that people who are born today may get to enjoy them, while I have to die. Well, I can always hope an asteroid wipes out all life on Earth before that happens. Here's hoping.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll not hold my breath until the findings are in a credible journal and the results have been replicated independently.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

What is she getting gene therapy to look like a tyrannosaurus?

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    What is she getting gene therapy to look like a tyrannosaurus?
    I think he means that this will turn people into zombies.

15+ Year Old Account
    If this turns out to be legit, it's easily one of the most important scientific discoveries ever.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

10+ Year Old Account
    Need more info. If I remember correctly, the therapy was a combined approach using viral vectors to target multiple organs. That they're only reporting results in leukocytes is either disappointing or incomplete. Moreover, leukocyte telomere length isn't a great metric for overall body aging, especially if you're just taking the average telomere length of the population. While leukocyte telomere length is inversely correlated with aging, this is more a metric of chronic inflammation than it is of actual tissue aging.

The biggest problems of aging come with endocrine glands, the brain, and muscle.

15+ Year Old Account
    so is this combined with 3D printed organs / tissue the key and secret to immortality?

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/16/3d-printed-organs/
    Last edited by Khadgar; 2016-04-25 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting that people are hailing this as a landmark discovery/breakthrough. I'm of the opinion that these results are dramatically overstated. All these people have demonstrated is that you can increase leukocyte telomere length with a risky gene therapy - and this is practically a given with our current technology (which these people did not develop). I could make a nucleic acid therapy tomorrow that increases telomere length in liver cells (maybe use RNA instead of DNA so it's not constitutive) - but that's not the same thing as increasing lifespan.

This isn't about innovation or discovery. It's about risk.

I've heard alot of theories and claims about beating aging .. but until something is a widespread announcement and not just a little story somewhere on the internet, from some questionable sources, I won't believe it.

One thing I am sure of, is any of us hoping to be 'saved' by these kinds of things, will be long dead before they are realized or effectively work, if they ever do.

But it is an exciting thought that humans may be able to beat aging. Of course, we'll have whole new issues with over-population .. and can you imagine .. ? My mother for instance, has a fund thing she has no access to until her mother dies, and she's still alive! Can you imagine if we we were all immortal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It's interesting that people are hailing this as a landmark discovery/breakthrough. I'm of the opinion that these results are dramatically overstated. All these people have demonstrated is that you can increase leukocyte telomere length with a risky gene therapy - and this is practically a given with our current technology (which these people did not develop). I could make a nucleic acid therapy tomorrow that increases telomere length in liver cells (maybe use RNA instead of DNA so it's not constitutive) - but that's not the same thing as increasing lifespan.

This isn't about innovation or discovery. It's about risk.
    BioViva does have some creditable advisers. George Church is one of their advisors, and he's one of the creators of CRISPR. That being said, BioViVa is a company and they're looking to sell a product. But what they're trying to prove is that increasing telomere length isn't risky. They have successfully done this to mice in labs, which has extended their life. But the argument is that it doesn't work like that for humans. That extending telomere length will cause cancer, or increase your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Mage View Post
    I've heard alot of theories and claims about beating aging .. but until something is a widespread announcement and not just a little story somewhere on the internet, from some questionable sources, I won't believe it.

One thing I am sure of, is any of us hoping to be 'saved' by these kinds of things, will be long dead before they are realized or effectively work, if they ever do.

But it is an exciting thought that humans may be able to beat aging. Of course, we'll have whole new issues with over-population .. and can you imagine .. ? My mother for instance, has a fund thing she has no access to until her mother dies, and she's still alive! Can you imagine if we we were all immortal?
    The tech is certainly around the corner. Probably the first viable technology is the removal of senescent cells. Proven with mice that removing them is a good thing. And there's drugs that do this called Senolytic Drugs, which are used for cancer treatments. Might be a link between cancer and senescent cells?

Left mouse, no senescent cells remove. Right mouse has them removed. Both mice same age.

Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-04-25 at 04:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be interesting to see how this impacts Alzheimer's and dementia research, because who the hell cares about living an extra decade if we're a vegetable in the process.

The Grandmatriarchs return!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    If this turns out to be legit, it's easily one of the most important scientific discoveries ever.
    Well yeah. The most expensive part of health care is when you are elderly. Health care costs would collapse if there are no elderly.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

O.o
    That is crazy. If they can start treating us in ways that prevent the degradation of cells as they reproduce...We're going to have to stop breeding. Yesterday.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

I'm sure it will be sold at astronomical costs. But you'll have your whole life to work it off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    O.o
    That is crazy. If they can start treating us in ways that prevent the degradation of cells as they reproduce...We're going to have to stop breeding. Yesterday.
    You'd have to legislate something like requiring sterilization in order to get the procedure done.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!