Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Azeroth is Mars sized?

So, with the new lore maps, the addition of The Broken Isles and such, has the in game world size become comparable to Mars? I know someone here has the info.
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

link the maps home slice

7+ Year Old Account
    If I could I would. I don't have them either
    Protect the weak. Punish the wicked.
    If you have something bad to say about Blizz, come at me bro.

Deleted
    I doubt there is any official info on that beyond "large / small".

I'm sure some good speculation could be done, but any facts that speculation might be based on were probably thought up with "rule of cool" in mind rather then "lets be consistent about our planets size"

There are probably decent lore sources to figure out the size of the continents, but the size of the seas is gonna be hard, particularly the veiled and forbidding seas. and there probably aren't enough "as the raven/dragon flies" references to get a accurate idea of curvature that isn't completely messed up with rule of cool sources.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-04-25 at 05:50 AM.

Deleted
    I belive the world size is not propperly represented in-gamr. If it was 1-1 scale, the place is tiny. Its scaled down to playable//manageable scale

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TURTLE-bbl View Post
    I belive the world size is not propperly represented in-gamr. If it was 1-1 scale, the place is tiny. Its scaled down to playable//manageable scale
    Yeah. The world looks much larger in in-game maps than what it really is . It took about 10 minutes to run from north end to south end of Darkshore (I actually wanted to see the size of world with my first char in Vanilla ).

Deleted
    Ridiculous. A mars bar is way too small.

Keep in mind the coldest parts of the world are to the north, AKA northrend, and the coldest parts to the south, AKA STV, Tanaris,Uldum/ect. Azeroth in my mind is a huge planet, because it seems like our four continents should exist to the north of the equator. World maps in game prove that wrong, but it just doesn't make much sense that to the south are all those hot places, when they should be cold like Northrend.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

If Azeroth is only as big as the current map then the life forms on the planet are actually tiny compared to us and would be crushed under our boot without us knowing it. If the planet is much bigger than the current map then they will probably discover much larger continents that have far more aggressive life forms. They better hope these life forms are either not smart enough to explore or just not interested in such a small set of islands. When you think about it, the Titans could be the average joe's on the other continents that just wanted to be a big fish in a small pond.

10+ Year Old Account
    Back during BC I had a theory that azeroth was actually flat, like there was an end to the world. It just seemed to make so much more sense instead of driving around the maelstrom if the world was round they could just go the other way and get there fine. But because I am knowledgable about the plane system in DnD I thought the world was flat instead of outer space it was the twisting nether which imo was like a free floating space that the world plain floated on. They I pictured Outlands as a plain as well and like a stack of pancakses azeroth on top so making a portal from one to the other was easy as there was little interference between.

A silly theory but the notion of a fantasy world that wasnt based on physics seemed novel.

It's probably the size of the moon.

Deleted
    Azeroth is only about 60km wide from the western to the eastern edge of the world map. Even if you assume there's a hidden other side, that only gives 120km circumference. The circumference of Mars is 21344km.

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is not to lore scale many of the books do a better job of giving us scale. Physics dictates that a planet that supports life has to be a certain size Earth is on the low end of that scale so Azeroth has to be around Earth size or larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Keep in mind the coldest parts of the world are to the north, AKA northrend, and the coldest parts to the south, AKA STV, Tanaris,Uldum/ect. Azeroth in my mind is a huge planet, because it seems like our four continents should exist to the north of the equator. World maps in game prove that wrong, but it just doesn't make much sense that to the south are all those hot places, when they should be cold like Northrend.
    Climate is more than where something is located on the globe. Wind and ocean currents have a large impact on temperature and could explain why the southern reaches are so warm. Azeroth's axis could face the south much closer to the sun than earths which could also contribute to the warm climate.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=Nathreim;39994422]The game is not to lore scale many of the books do a better job of giving us scale. Physics dictates that a planet that supports life has to be a certain size Earth is on the low end of that scale so Azeroth has to be around Earth size or larger.

Earth is around the max possible size for a rocky planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The game is not to lore scale many of the books do a better job of giving us scale. Physics dictates that a planet that supports life has to be a certain size Earth is on the low end of that scale so Azeroth has to be around Earth size or larger.

Earth is around the max possible size for a rocky planet.
    Um no. The solid core of Jupiter is 10 times as large as earth. The largest habitable planet can only be around twice the size of earth any larger and it cant sustain an environment.

mnras.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/02/17/mnras.stu085.full.pdf

The last time I checked, all of WoW would be as big as London

Google just told me that the circumference of mars is 21000 km.

So lets say we know half of Azeroth (with an America like continent on the other side of the map still undiscovered).
    Walking through the middle of Kalimdor (where the Aequator would be) east to west takes ~ 20 minutes. So if we asume a heroic running speed of 18 km/h, its about 6 km wide. The whole map is about 8 times wider than Kalimdor (48 km). So Azeroth has a circumference of about 100 km.
    The measurements are all really rough, but not wrong by a factor of 200. Azeroth is Luxenburg sized. Which is an insult to countries not planets
    Last edited by owbu; 2016-04-25 at 01:57 PM.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

At least in World of Warcraft, Azeroth is tiny. It's smaller than Charon, one of Pluto's moons.
    It's smaller than Ceres, a planetoid in our own Asteroid Belt. It's smaller than the local city nearby that has 15,000 people.

In Warcraft III, it took Thrall and the orcs days, if not weeks to get through the Barrens to get the Tauren to the verdant Mulgore. In WoW, it takes only a few minutes on a normal speed mount to get from the eastern coast to Mulgore.

The scaling is way off in World of Warcraft, which is of course limited to the technology available in 2004. That said, can't wait till a WoW 2 several decades from now, when scaling will be more appropriate to the lore and previous Warcraft games.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarnova View Post
    The scaling is way off in World of Warcraft, which is of course limited to the technology available in 2004. That said, can't wait till a WoW 2 several decades from now, when scaling will be more appropriate to the lore and previous Warcraft games.
    It's not really about technology. There were enormous games 20 years ago. In Elder Scrolls: Arena it would take weeks to run across the continent. Asheron's Call (a MMO that came out years before WoW) world was >500 square miles.

WoW is a themepark MMO, which means that every area should have something to do, not just be boring scenery. Even in vanilla, every nook and cranny was hand-crafted and detailed.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2016-04-25 at 03:10 PM.