Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Quotas like this are actually filled up by for example, advertising positions in LGBT magazines. There are many ways to encourage and help minority groups without disadvantaging white males or whomever.
    That is a good point as well. Indeed, people do not always understand how the selection process actually works.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrotlord View Post
    But in that sense it's counter-productive. "To prove that we don't discriminate, which we haven't been doing anyway, we're going to start doing it!"
    Sorry, a bit confused cause it seems to me that now we're talking the same thing

Let me put it like this just for the sake of discussion:
    If you're not guilty, there is no need to prove you're not.

If I hire 100 people and it happens that they are all....let's say black. And if I'm 900% honest and their skills prove that they are the ones for the job, etc etc.

There is NO need to tell anyone why I chose them. It's a normal process, totally unbiased.
    If someone doesn't believe me, that shouldn't matter. It's only their opinion.

Now, if I, or the company, are actually hiding something or aren't unbiased....then it's a different story. But you don't try to fix it by faking innoncence, but by fixing the real problem. And in this, my, case it's being biased.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    These people are actors. If they say they are gay in order to get the job, then the whole country will know they are gay. And if someone knows for a fact they are not, then the media might learn that as well, and the person's career after that will be in trouble. Not the risk I would take, if I were an actor.
    Well, then things would just be reversed from today. We'll have gay actors come out after a few years to announce they are really heterosexual and they'll be applauded for being Brave.

10+ Year Old Account
    One in six BBC stars 'must be gay or lesbian or disabled' by 2020 says new staff-hiring guidelines at the corporation
    That is one way to prime minority groups to jump on each others throats. lol

Gonna be interesting to watch them battle out who gets what portion of that 6th...
    Let alone the crossovers..
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Does it mean, hypothetically, that a male candidate has better chances to get a job in BBC if he sucks a dick of his male interviewer? Hypothetically.

people love "representation" because it gives them a sense of validation and recognition missing from their own lives in addition to having them believe they can achieve what the character did; despite their obvious lack of charm, intelligence or skill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Well, then things would just be reversed from today. We'll have gay actors come out after a few years to announce they are really heterosexual and they'll be applauded for being Brave.
    Perhaps, a world dominated by homosexuals, rather than heterosexuals, would be a better one. At least, all this rant on these forums, like "Women only want our money" and "Men only want sex", would go away.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    How will they check if anyone is gay or trans ?
    Anyone can say "Um yeah, i'm gay, of course" in an job interview, especially if it is about a high paid media job...
    Reminds me of the story about the Turkish (?) military dismissing men from military duty if they send them a picture being the receiver in anal sex with their face visible on it.

Kinky stuff...

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps, a world dominated by homosexuals, rather than heterosexuals, would be a better one. At least, all this rant on these forums, like "Women only want our money" and "Men only want sex", would go away.
    Or it would go along the way of "Men only want sex...and we love it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    nailed it with the new top gear crew then.
    Being ginger is not technically a disability.

Yes, but the point is, while it is an expected behavior, it might not be a common behavior. Much like in rape accusations, judges are expected to be unbiased, but everybody knows that's generally not the case. Even if BBC is already employing this expected behavior, other companies might not. To attract attention to the problem, they take the opposite extreme and hire a large number of actors from minorities purposefully, effectively saying, "Look, discrimination against these people makes no sense, because they can work just as well as anyone else".

That's the reasoning, at any rate. I do not necessarily agree with such an action (I think general media awareness campaigns work better than this apparently biased way to approach it), but it might be effective still.
    Oh, I agree that in a LOT of cases it's not a common behaviour.

Here I come to a usual "stump" in conversation. I'll try to put it in one sentence only xD

Stoping people who do things the wrong way and straying from the optimal and most fair way at the same time is: wrong.

Take drinking in public, for example. It's usually prohibited, right.

Take a (relatively) normal person. He/she can sit down on a park bench, bask in the sunlight, enjoy a cold beer and move on afterwards.
    We're "protecting" people who abuse stuff with laws that harm those, normal people.

I am always against those kind of rules cause there are far more optimal ways of doing it.
    I know I strayed away from the topic, but hopefully you get my meaning xD

But I do understand how it works in the world and do understand (some of) the point.
    I still think we should all at least start from the point where we know what's optimal and then customized it to work in reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Invariably in threads like these there is the assumption that they hire random gays, blacks, disabled people whatever who turn up. They don't. 95% of the people contrbuting to this thread don't understand the legal system.

It is illegal under UK law to hire someone on any basis other than merit, and unsuccessful applicants have legal recourse to compensation if they feel discrimination, positive or negative has occurred.

The only area in which an employer can express a preference on race, disability and sexual orientation is when the candidates are both of equal merit. Even here they have to be extremely careful that they could substantiate such a claim in court.

Quotas like this are actually filled up by for example, advertising positions in LGBT magazines. There are many ways to encourage and help minority groups without disadvantaging white males or whomever.

All this wonderful information takes thirty seconds to google. But hey, why not rant from a position of ignorance.
    Good point about the magazines and whatnot. We're all humans and humand tend to work for their interests, unfair more often than not. Unfortunately.

My point wasn't blaming the companies. In fact, if I wanted to blame them, I would then blame them from crumbling under pressure, so to speak, instead of saying "Fuck off, we're just, we know we're just and don't have to prove anything" in a polite manner, ofc xD

The BBC is a joke in this country; and not a funny one, because we all have to pay a license for it.

It is, in its own special way, as un-biased and agenda-free as the Daily Mail.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Okay well when their ratings suffer because they are handing out roles to someone because of their sexual preference or not being able to physically function at 100% rather than their acting ability im gonna laugh lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    Sorry, a bit confused cause it seems to me that now we're talking the same thing

Let me put it like this just for the sake of discussion:
    If you're not guilty, there is no need to prove you're not.

If I hire 100 people and it happens that they are all....let's say black. And if I'm 900% honest and their skills prove that they are the ones for the job, etc etc.

There is NO need to tell anyone why I chose them. It's a normal process, totally unbiased.
    If someone doesn't believe me, that shouldn't matter. It's only their opinion.

Now, if I, or the company, are actually hiding something or aren't unbiased....then it's a different story. But you don't try to fix it by faking innoncence, but by fixing the real problem. And in this, my, case it's being biased.
    Oh I know. And we do agree. I was merely pointing out that in trying to prove how innocent they are, they're actually making themselves guilty. I don't think the BBC has any reason to fake it. But now it makes it seem like they do. They basically shot themselves in the foot for no reason. It's... confounding to me.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a legitimate source on this or just DailyMail? DailyMail is on the same level as fox news when it comes to shit sources.

Googling this only brings up the DailyMail and other shit tabloid sites.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2016-04-25 at 12:44 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

These people are actors. If they say they are gay in order to get the job, then the whole country will know they are gay. And if someone knows for a fact they are not, then the media might learn that as well, and the person's career after that will be in trouble. Not the risk I would take, if I were an actor.
    So they only want openly gay people or are willing to out them once they are employed?
    That would be not so nice of them.

Deleted
    Yeah I agree. This has gone too far. This is not what the Jesus wanted when he died for our Sins. Praise be his Father, God, Jesus.

Jesus always told us this: "Don't have sex with the same gender."

Holy Bible + Jesus = Life

10+ Year Old Account
    Believe it or not, they're quite possibly undershooting.

While the exact percent of (British) people who are homosexuals is debatable, the most frequent numbers I hear are 8 and 10 percent. And one person in five in the US at least counts as disabled. Even with overlap, these easily hit 25%, or one in four people, not six.

I know a lot of people in this thread are against this policy, but if their intended goal is to get roles that match reality, technically, this isn't going to do it.

Also, there were six original members of Monty Python. One of them was not just openly gay, but campaigned heavily for gay rights. And who's going to argue with the logic of King Arthur himself?

Deleted
    So long, BBC quality series.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    8% and 1 in 6 aren't the same number.

Also, lol@ lumping gays and lesbians in with disabilities.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2016-04-25 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That is one way to prime minority groups to jump on each others throats. lol

Gonna be interesting to watch them battle out who gets what portion of that 6th...
    Let alone the crossovers..
    They could actually make one of those derp reality shows out of that, I imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    It was so important that "don't have gay sex" was on the list of the 10 commandments.

Oh wait. "Not coveting your neighbours oxen" apparently was more important..

He's got some sweet oxen though.
    Also Jesus never spoke of homosexuality. So he didn't always tell us this. Now it's time to leave the religious discussion alone.