Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Yep, I love the ease of exiting. When I moved into my new apartment, noone else parked backwards, now most of them do LOL

Why back in to parking space instead of backing out of it?

1) Bad weather, easier to back in when the vehicle is still warm and all the windows are thawed and clear and then pull forward after just the front window is scraped off or thawed as compared to pulling in normally then having to worry about both front and back windows being fully clear before being able to leave.

2) If you are loading a truck or having to load something into the trunk of a car so big you are required to strap the trunk closed. Better to back in when it is full clear than to back out when you now have a more obstructed view.

3) If you are carrying multiple trips worth or a heavy item from your trunk to where you are at, better to back in where it is a shorter trip and not having to walk around the vehicle to unload it.

4) Many times at grocery stores and such, they aren't backing in, they are pulling through which just looks the same.

There are plenty of reasons to part that way.

Now the real question is "What level of asshole do you have to be to park across multiple parking spots just to keep others from getting near you inconveniencing others in the process?" Those people truly piss me off seeing. Went to one place where there wasn't a single empty parking spot but there were 5 douches parking across lanes so none could part near them. One guy went as far as parking at the end cap where he could just pull forward to leave but parked perpendicular to the lanes so his small ass car covered 3 parking spots. If I were a police officer, those cars would get a ticket and a boot or a tow for that level of BS if I could find any legal justification for doing so.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Why would someone care if other park backwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Errrrr.... what?!
    Thats about as stupid as making a law against red cars, because statisticaly red cars are involved in more accidents.
    They had a rule like this at my college too. We had to have those parking permits stuck on our back windshields. Every once in a while, one of the college administrators would stroll through the parking lot and look for those stickers. If you didn't have one, or if your car was backed in to the spot, you'd get a ticket slapped on your car.

A ticket wasn't much (like $5), but yeah. Supposedly they could hold you up from graduating or something if you had one of those and didn't pay it. Although I'm not sure how legal that is or how well it'd stand in court if you decided to push it.

There was a bit of a stink about that for a while, because they switched to some really cheap parking stickers one year, and the stickers peeled off after a couple of days. A lot people didn't notice that their stickers peeled off and got those tickets.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-04-25 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrothyMug View Post
    WHY do you do this? It drives me crazy when I see someone park their vehicle backwards, as I cannot fathom what advantage it could possibly bring. 95% of people who do this spend more time parking their car than you would if they just had to back out of their space, like usual. Not only that, but backwards-parkers rarely park straight and stay within the lines.

Is it because you want to show off your car? Faster getaway?
    One reason only:

They are said it's easier to park that way than to the front. And, to a small(er) degree, it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im surprised by the number of people here who openly admit they arent good at/dont like backing up their car. If you cant drive backwards you probably shouldnt drive forwards either.

Same with people who cant parallel park. If you cant handle a four step maneuver to park your car i dont want to be on the road with someone that stupid, take the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    Im surprised by the number of people here who openly admit they arent good at/dont like backing up their car. If you cant drive backwards you probably shouldnt drive forwards either.

Same with people who cant parallel park. If you cant handle a four step maneuver to park your car i dont want to be on the road with someone that stupid, take the bus.
    Now just imagine how many people don't know/do far more worse things than parking xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grishnaar View Post
    Now just imagine how many people don't know/do far more worse things than parking xD

Right? The worse part is the way you get better at these things is by doing them, not avoiding them cause yer scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Septik View Post
    Right? The worse part is the way you get better at these things is by doing them, not avoiding them cause yer scared.
    Funny thing there...I'll be 31 next month and have been driving since age 16, and I've never had to parallel park since I got my license. I did it when I took that first driving test at age 16 (they had these traffic cones set up that I used), but in all this time, I've never needed to do it again. Not really that I'm scared (I'm 100% confident that I could easily do it), but I've never needed to.

I guess it's just because I live in a rural area. Things are pretty spread out here, and just about any place I need to park will have a parking lot with spots open.

But I do agree that people should know how to do it and be able to back up without hitting something. Especially these days when those backup camera things are so popular.

7+ Year Old Account
    My company (Global Blue Chip) tell us we "have to reverse in when parking" as there are more accidents involving cars reversing out than any other by far.

Saved them hundreds of £1000's in 2 years so far.

Quote Originally Posted by FrothyMug View Post
    WHY do you do this? It drives me crazy when I see someone park their vehicle backwards, as I cannot fathom what advantage it could possibly bring. 95% of people who do this spend more time parking their car than you would if they just had to back out of their space, like usual. Not only that, but backwards-parkers rarely park straight and stay within the lines.

Is it because you want to show off your car? Faster getaway?
    In parking lots ill pull forward, that makes it look like I parked backwards, and that's actually more efficient.

I do. It's way easier to park backwards

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. I always back in.

Habit from the Marine Corps.

Plus I like to be able to pull out easily (sexual innuendo) from any space I'm at.

And having to back out in a busy parking lot can be a mess. Especially if there is the potential for children to be running around.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

7+ Year Old Account
    I do but is it considered cheating when using a distance beeper?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    1. I drive a truck. Depending on the design of the parking lot it is vastly easier to pull a truck out nose first then back it up with its various blindspots.

2. Actually yes, if I need to "egress" an area quickly, then I want to pull out nose first.

I am also the kind of guy when I go out to eat I always sit facing the door. /tinfoil hat
    Yeah... I'm glad I'm not the only one that's like this. Military as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Yessir.

/10char
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

Only if I'm parking in a driveway going out to a road with a good amount of traffic, cba when shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Not military, but I always at least need my back to a wall when eating out. Claustrophobia or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Only if I'm parking in a driveway going out to a road with a good amount of traffic, cba when shopping.
    Also this. Fortunately my driveway is sideways, so I can go in forward, back out, then go out my driveway forward.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    They had a rule like this at my college too. We had to have those parking permits stuck on our back windshields. Every once in a while, one of the college administrators would stroll through the parking lot and look for those stickers. If you didn't have one, or if your car was backed in to the spot, you'd get a ticket slapped on your car.

A ticket wasn't much (like $5), but yeah. Supposedly they could hold you up from graduating or something if you had one of those and didn't pay it. Although I'm not sure how legal that is or how well it'd stand in court if you decided to push it.

There was a bit of a stink about that for a while, because they switched to some really cheap parking stickers one year, and the stickers peeled off after a couple of days. A lot people didn't notice that their stickers peeled off and got those tickets.
    This is why I'm glad my college used mirror hangers, and associated a plate to the hanger as well. This way, if you forgot it, they could still look it up and you'd be OK (though if you did it enough times for them to remember your vehicle, they might issue a warning since the hangers are required by rule).

10+ Year Old Account
    In the oil and gas industry, reverse parking is often a requirement (ostensibly because you can egress quickly in an emergency). People probably get used to this and continue in their daily lives. I agree that I don't see the point, but I guess it's easier to back into a spot with a big truck than it is to back out.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!