[Crackpot Theory] The Naaru, Void Gods, and the Void Lords (Chronicle Discussion)

Here's my proposal: What if the Naaru aren't beings of light, but purified Void Gods?

The Universe of WarCraft exists in a duality, as shown by the magic sheet. Life, death. Order, disorder (Chaos). Emerald Dream, Shadowlands. And, most importantly, Light and Shadow.

As we know, the Void Lords are all-powerful, Sargeras is afraid of them, yadda yadda. Much like their Old God creations, I imagine they give life simply by existing. Voidwalkers, Voidlords, Voidcallers, and, if my theory is correct, Void Gods are natural emanations of their power.

As we know, there are no lightborn champions that exist. All of the creatures of the Light are beings purified or chosen by the Light to champion its cause, save for the Naaru.

The Naaru, though beings of Light, exist in a duality. They are beings of Light during their Naaru phase, yes, but when they die, when their -light- is extinguished, only shadows remain, causing them to 'collapse' into a Void God, which is a powerful shadow being capable of summoning legions of Voidwalkers into existence. Why would such powerful champions of Light exist in two states at once if they were solely born of Light?

That's where my idea comes in. The Naaru, much like the Light's other champions, are purified Void. That is why, despite being 'Born of Light', their Light can fade. It's also why Void Gods who were once Naaru can be turned back into Naaru, because that is their purified form.

I realize there's a lot of gaps in my ideas and it's incredibly disjointed, but I have trouble putting my thoughts into words and it came to me in a burst of inspiration.

15+ Year Old Account
    If they're purified void gods, whatever purified them? What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    If they're purified void gods, whatever purified them? What came first, the chicken or the egg?
    Lore states that the Naaru were born out of the Creation, so they could have been purified when the Void and Light initially clashed. Could also be some later time when, perhaps, the Void tried to enter the realm of Light. Light's a naturally purifying substance, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that simply standing in it can alter even its polar opposite.

We already know what naaru are. They're pure light that was left over from the creation of the universe.

There's also the problem that Naaru have been corrupted into void beings, so if they were void lords then presumably their void form would be those void lords, and it's been stated that the true void lords haven't ever manifested in our reality and are only known to be able to do so through a sufficiently powerful world soul. I think the old gods as they're manifested in our universe are a sort of like "Arms reaching through the prison bars" of the void lords, and the world soul is the key to opening that prison for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    We already know what naaru are. They're pure light that was left over from the creation of the universe.
    Light Naaru were created from fragments of light at creation, but could there then have been Void Naaru created from fragments of Void around the same time?

Small fragments of Light became Elementals, medium fragments of Light became Naaru, the largest fragments of Light became world-souls.

Speculation: Small fragments of Void became Voidwalkers, medium fragments of Void became Void Naaru, the largest fragments of Void became the Void Lords?

Deleted
    The thing is, just because Naaru can be warped into void gods, doesnt mean the other way around is also a thing.

A void is literally nothing, except in the universe of WoW it has sentient form, antimatter almost, but not really because that would break all kinds of belief.

Anyhow, my point is that light is something, it's energy, that moves at speed and thus in a way is a finite resource, so a being of light with no other basis, as the Naaru are, would end up becoming "nothing" when drained. Where as a mortal imbued with light energy would just return to their normal state upon being drained of the light.

And the real tricky part about the light is that it grants its powers to those who believe they are righteous and good, not necessarily those who actually are, hence the scarlet crusade. This means that doubt in one self and your cause can lead to a loss of your "light" so to speak, thus depression and despair are genuinly dangerous things for a Naaru who generally seem to be beings of hope and renewal.

Anyhow, the void is the absence of light and matter, and naaru being creatures of pure light, thus would logically turn into void beings upon "death", it's either that or them just dying, but... I mean they are made of the basic fragments of creation, so I figure that is why they dont straight up die, they are just to powerful.

Tho I'm genuinly curious, because to me it seems like the naaru and the void gods are the top tier players in the universe, with order and chaos below them and then life and death further below them, so that means the Naaru outrank titans? Where the titans created because the Naaru found it to dangerous to battle chaos and void entities themselves due to the risk of their light fading and thus strengthening the other side?

It's quite interesting.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Light Naaru were created from fragments of light at creation, but could there then have been Void Naaru created from fragments of Void around the same time?
    No. The Naaru equivalents are the Old Gods.

Quote Originally Posted by VileGenesis View Post
    The thing is, just because Naaru can be warped into void gods, doesnt mean the other way around is also a thing.
    Except it literally is a thing. The Void God Saraka the Lighteater is transformed back into the naaru Saa'ra in Legion.

Small fragments of Light became Elementals, medium fragments of Light became Naaru, the largest fragments of Light became world-souls.

Speculation: Small fragments of Void became Voidwalkers, medium fragments of Void became Void Naaru, the largest fragments of Void became the Void Lords?
    I don't think there's such thing as Void Naaru, except in the form of Void Gods. Anyhow, I don't think the Elementals or World-Souls can be considered Light entities in the same manner as Voidwalkers are Void entities. Besides, we already know what smaller Light beings look like and what they're called.

There are Lightspawn in the Priest Hall, and one of our Holy champions is a Lightspawn named "Sol".
    http://legion.wowhead.com/npc=107565/lightspawn
    http://legion.wowhead.com/champion=872

That's your Voidwalker equivalent. Aside from them, there are the Wrath Embers that come through "Holy Breaches" in the Discipline quest, as well as Judgment's Flame.
    http://legion.wowhead.com/npc=104627/wrath-ember
    http://legion.wowhead.com/npc=104520/judgments-flame

As for the equivalent of the Old Gods? Chronicles describes normal life as springing from shards of Light that provided the spark of life. Old Gods and their descendants are basically the inverse of that, since they're organic entities spawned with Void energies and there are plenty of statements saying "They do not live". If they don't share the same Light-based spark of life that most organic beings have, then it makes sense that they aren't truly "alive" in the same sense and are actually a form of anti-life.

I suppose you could also try fitting the Guardians of Ancient Kings somewhere into this mix, or wager a guess on who those "Ancient Kings" might truly be.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Except it literally is a thing. The Void God Saraka the Lighteater is transformed back into the naaru Saa'ra in Legion.

I don't think there's such thing as Void Naaru, except in the form of Void Gods. Anyhow, I don't think the Elementals or World-Souls can be considered Light entities in the same manner as Voidwalkers are Void entities. Besides, we already know what smaller Light beings look like and what they're called.

There are Lightspawn in the Priest Hall, and one of our Holy champions is a Lightspawn named "Sol".
    http://legion.wowhead.com/npc=107565/lightspawn
    http://legion.wowhead.com/champion=872

That's your Voidwalker equivalent. Aside from them, there are the Wrath Embers that come through "Holy Breaches" in the Discipline quest, as well as Judgment's Flame.
    http://legion.wowhead.com/npc=104627/wrath-ember
    http://legion.wowhead.com/npc=104520/judgments-flame

As for the equivalent of the Old Gods? Chronicles describes normal life as springing from shards of Light that provided the spark of life. Old Gods and their descendants are basically the inverse of that, since they're organic entities spawned with Void energies and there are plenty of statements saying "They do not live". If they don't share the same Light-based spark of life that most organic beings have, then it makes sense that they aren't truly "alive" in the same sense and are actually a form of anti-life.

I suppose you could also try fitting the Guardians of Ancient Kings somewhere into this mix, or wager a guess on who those "Ancient Kings" might truly be.
    Elementals and world-souls aren't inherently Light beings in and of themselves but they both have origins in the Light, according to Chronicle. At least how I made sense of the Light becoming the various Elements is sort of like how white light is refracted into the rainbow of colors by a prism.

There are definitely Void Naaru, but I'm curious as to whether or not a Void Naaru is just as Void as a Light Naaru is Light. I hope that makes sense.

Basically, if Lightspawn = Voidwalkers, and Void Naaru = Light Naaru, then shouldn't there be an equivalent of Void God? I guess that would be the Elder Naaru from the Illidan novel but that's purely speculation.

As for the Guardian of the Ancient Kings, I could see that somehow being tied to the Val'kyr now that there are 'Holy' Val'kyr with a very similar appearance.

7+ Year Old Account
    Muru wasn't a Void Naaru. He was a Naaru that was passing the process of becoming a Void God as seen in his fight. It's not the same.

There are definitely Void Naaru, but I'm curious as to whether or not a Void Naaru is just as Void as a Light Naaru is Light. I hope that makes sense.

Basically, if Lightspawn = Voidwalkers, and Void Naaru = Light Naaru, then shouldn't there be an equivalent of Void God? I guess that would be the Elder Naaru from the Illidan novel but that's purely speculation. .
    Well, your question was already answered here:
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    Muru wasn't a Void Naaru. He was a Naaru that was passing the process of becoming a Void God as seen in his fight. It's not the same.
    I'm pretty sure that "Void Naaru" are just Naaru who haven't quite become a Void God yet. So, I'd say they aren't quite as Void as Naaru are Light, since Void Gods are the final stage of the transformation. Anything before that is just an inbetween or middle point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubark View Post
    The Naaru, though beings of Light, exist in a duality. They are beings of Light during their Naaru phase, yes, but when they die, when their -light- is extinguished, only shadows remain, causing them to 'collapse' into a Void God, which is a powerful shadow being capable of summoning legions of Voidwalkers into existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    Light came first. Void appeared in the places where Light faded.

Why would such powerful champions of Light exist in two states at once if they were solely born of Light?
    They don't exist in two states at once. They exist in one, then they turn into the other.

7+ Year Old Account
    Here's my proposal: What if the Naaru aren't beings of light, but purified Void Gods?

The Universe of WarCraft exists in a duality, as shown by the magic sheet. Life, death. Order, disorder (Chaos). Emerald Dream, Shadowlands. And, most importantly, Light and Shadow.

As we know, the Void Lords are all-powerful, Sargeras is afraid of them, yadda yadda. Much like their Old God creations, I imagine they give life simply by existing. Voidwalkers, Voidlords, Voidcallers, and, if my theory is correct, Void Gods are natural emanations of their power.

As we know, there are no lightborn champions that exist. All of the creatures of the Light are beings purified or chosen by the Light to champion its cause, save for the Naaru.

The Naaru, though beings of Light, exist in a duality. They are beings of Light during their Naaru phase, yes, but when they die, when their -light- is extinguished, only shadows remain, causing them to 'collapse' into a Void God, which is a powerful shadow being capable of summoning legions of Voidwalkers into existence. Why would such powerful champions of Light exist in two states at once if they were solely born of Light?

That's where my idea comes in. The Naaru, much like the Light's other champions, are purified Void. That is why, despite being 'Born of Light', their Light can fade. It's also why Void Gods who were once Naaru can be turned back into Naaru, because that is their purified form.

I realize there's a lot of gaps in my ideas and it's incredibly disjointed, but I have trouble putting my thoughts into words and it came to me in a burst of inspiration.
    interesting theory, but why the Naaru is much weaker than void-lords by miles, I mean even Ner'zul a powerful Shaman could harm a Naaru, or blood elf's could enslave a naaru, if it's true the Naaru is purified being then it should not have been this weak.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FraterN View Post
    There's also the problem that Naaru have been corrupted into void beings, so if they were void lords then presumably their void form would be those void lords, and it's been stated that the true void lords haven't ever manifested in our reality and are only known to be able to do so through a sufficiently powerful world soul. I think the old gods as they're manifested in our universe are a sort of like "Arms reaching through the prison bars" of the void lords, and the world soul is the key to opening that prison for good.
    1- they can if you harvest enough power " which is so much power, greater than sarg "
    2- some of them can manifest into the physical world for few min's
    Last edited by steelballfc; 2016-04-25 at 01:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Context it to the rest of my post.

I meant, just because the Naaru turn into "void gods" when they collapse, doesn't mean that actual void gods or whatever the higher-ups of the void are, can be turned into Naaru.

But a Naaru turned into a void god still have the ability to turn back into a Naaru. See my point here?

While Collapsed Naaru and void gods might seem to be the same entities, they might not be entirely the same.

With creation came the light and the void, and from them sprung the other forces in time, thus it makes sense for Naaru or whatever might be above them and the void gods to have been "born" at the same time.

But I still digress that a Naaru cannot fight a void god, because the entropy would suck drain them of their light, another point might be that the naaru realises that balance has to exist in the universe for the universe to continue existing. Where as the void gods are all about entropy and probably wants the universe to collapse into nothing.

Anyhow, my point wasnt that Naaru can't be transformed back, my point was that original void gods might not be able to turn into Naaru.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelballfc View Post
    interesting theory, but why the Naaru is much weaker than void-lords by miles, I mean even Ner'zul a powerful Shaman could harm a Naaru, or blood elf's could enslave a naaru, if it's true the Naaru is purified being then it should not have been this weak.
    I don't think they are weaker I just think that due to them being made purely of light, forces of entropy and void are extremely risky for them.

Void beings sustain themselves by draining their surroundings of matter, far as I can tell. And we all know what happens to a Naaru drained of it's light so yeah, I think the Naaru need champions to fight for them to even be able to defend against void forces.

When did Ner'zhul harm a naaru? It was already void state when it arrived on Draenor.

And M'uru let the blood elves enslave it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    When did Ner'zhul harm a naaru? It was already void state when it arrived on Draenor.

And M'uru let the blood elves enslave it.

the fact that a Shaman could Help transform such a being " if the theory is right " from Naaru to Void-lord is increasing the gab of power between the naaru and the void which should not happen if the theory we talk about is true
    and M'uru was fighting the blood-knights mentally, it didn't agree to be enslaved
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.