Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Many drivers ed programs advocate parking facing out of the space in order to maximize your field of view while leaving the parking space.
    Although the irony about this is in many states this is technically not legal at least in parking lots as people can't see your backup lights come on to know your intentions.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Reverse parking is just as easy as driving in front for parking for me. I prefer reverse parking in so I can see better driving out. When you have a tiny back window, it's not worth the hassle of trying to break your back trying to see other cars :P

Not the easiest back window to reverse out of a spot with....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrothyMug View Post
    You guys talk about how it's safer to park backwards because you can see what's going on around you, but quite frankly, it's never been a problem for me to back out of a space. I don't care if I don't have visibility while backing out. All you have to do is just pull out slowly and nothing will happen to you. If some a-hole hits you, that's because he was being a retard. I also have never had issues with tight spaces. Also, I wasn't talking about pulling through to the space in front of you. That I can understand. I just so often see people park their car backwards and they have to try a couple of times to get it right, or they can't even park straight and between the lines. I'll be honest, it just seems really douchey to park you car backwards. Just Saiyan.

I guess it's a power thing...
    What are you smoking? In no way at all is it a power thing or anything that you are making it out to be. You are literally just making these out of these world assumptions for no reason. People who back into their space aren't douchebags or assholes or trying to show up. Why don't I just assume that anyone who drinks their coffee black is a piece of shit? Or that anyone who adds relish to a hotdog is a creep? That is the kind of nonsense you are saying man :-\

Personally I almost always just pull in from the front to park simply because I don't find any benefit from backing in, only time I may back in is if I feel the spot will be a pain in the ass to back out of later AND I have good/safe time to back in. That situation is very very very rare for me though.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Reverse parking is just as easy as driving in front for parking for me. I prefer reverse parking in so I can see better driving out. When you have a tiny back window, it's not worth the hassle of trying to break your back trying to see other cars :P

I also like when people tell me "just look over your shoulder."

Like, yeah, I know. There's car in the way of doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    I also like when people tell me "just look over your shoulder."

Like, yeah, I know. There's car in the way of doing that.
    Yeah, that would have been enough of a turnoff that I wouldn't have bought the car. Again, though, new cars all have rear-facing cameras, and most have rear cross traffic alerts as well.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    You guys talk about how it's safer to park backwards because you can see what's going on around you, but quite frankly, it's never been a problem for me to back out of a space. I don't care if I don't have visibility while backing out. All you have to do is just pull out slowly and nothing will happen to you. If some a-hole hits you, that's because he was being a retard. I also have never had issues with tight spaces. Also, I wasn't talking about pulling through to the space in front of you. That I can understand. I just so often see people park their car backwards and they have to try a couple of times to get it right, or they can't even park straight and between the lines. I'll be honest, it just seems really douchey to park you car backwards. Just Saiyan.

The most common accidents on parking areas are the ones where someone backs away from a spot. And no matter how slowly you back off it's your fault (in Finland) if you hit someone. I rather look douchey to you than be a complete idiot who's both lazy and does not care for other's safety.

Would you rather spend your time parking or leaving?

When I'm parking, the trip is done and I'm winding down so I have a few extra seconds to spend. When I'm leaving I'm both in a hurry and more likely to be distracted by the things I have to do. Backing in eases both aspects upon departure. In addition no matter how good your backup camera it's not nearly as good as a frontal field of view for re-entering traffic, so it's a safety issue regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    1. I drive a truck. Depending on the design of the parking lot it is vastly easier to pull a truck out nose first then back it up with its various blindspots.

2. Actually yes, if I need to "egress" an area quickly, then I want to pull out nose first.

I am also the kind of guy when I go out to eat I always sit facing the door. /tinfoil hat
    100% this. because truck...its funny but i find it a lot easier to back my truck into a spot than turn in driving forward as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why WOULDN'T you? It takes literally 2 seconds longer than parking forwards (unless you suck at driving, but that aside) and when you're pulling out you have a much better view of what's going on.

And I don't know how traffic law works in your country.. but if you back up into someone or something here. It's your fault. Always.
    As it should be because you're not supposed to be blocking traffic when backing up anyway..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I never back up into a parking spot, but I'll always take a pull-through spot if I can. Reason? Then at all times I'm in control of what's in front of my car.
    Yes pull through spots are the best, and I'll park farther away if I can get on.

OT: It's faster to back out than to back in. I always back out.

WHY do you do this? It drives me crazy when I see someone park their vehicle backwards, as I cannot fathom what advantage it could possibly bring. 95% of people who do this spend more time parking their car than you would if they just had to back out of their space, like usual. Not only that, but backwards-parkers rarely park straight and stay within the lines.

Is it because you want to show off your car? Faster getaway?
    Parking backwards with frontwheel steering means I have a tighter turn radius. When I see girls park front first in a sparking space the size of the Grand Canyon and go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, I literally cringe every single time. I take a parking space 2 feet bigger than my car - whatever the size of my car is - and I go backwards first and sit perfectly in one go. Parallel to the curb and with the perfect distance to all sides and I am way too fucking lazy to ever do it another way.

That's why we park backwards.

Edit: Nevermind, I thought we were talking parallel parking. If you're talking about those parking lot slots, we always park front first, because the boot is in the back. If you want to access it, you better have it to the open side.

As for garages, in public garages it's actually usually not even allowed to park backwards, so the wall paint doesn't get all the exhaust fumes and they have to repaint every month.
    Last edited by Slant; 2016-04-25 at 04:53 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    100% this. because truck...its funny but i find it a lot easier to back my truck into a spot than turn in driving forward as well.
    It's because of the longer distance between the front and rear axles. The front of the truck has to make longer turn to get it aligned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornerybear View Post
    That's because you can use your mirrors to align yourself.
    Making tight corners is by far easier in reverse than it is going forwards.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just so often see people park their car backwards and they have to try a couple of times to get it right, or they can't even park straight and between the lines. I'll be honest, it just seems really douchey to park you car backwards. Just Saiyan.

Strange, must just be bad drivers. I can park perfectly inbetween lines using my mirrors.

http://i.imgur.com/xJWxJ1y.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Try cars that have no back window at all. You'll have to back out blindly hoping that other motorists will grant you right of way, which you don't actually have.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    Try cars that have no back window at all. You'll have to back out blindly hoping that other motorists will grant you right of way, which you don't actually have.
    Correct. You do not have right of way when reversing out of a parking spot in any country I know of. If youy hit someone when reversing out of somewhere, YOU are at fault, no matter what. You were coming onto their right of way.

If you're in a country with friendly drivers, they'll see you backing out and either honk friendly if you're about to bend some metal or just give you enough space to do it.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    If you're in a country with friendly drivers, they'll see you backing out and either honk friendly if you're about to bend some metal or just give you enough space to do it.
    Doesn't matter, they still have to give it. And some people won't give you right of way. I've been a delivery driver for a couple of months now, and of all the times I backed out blind with alarm lights on, about 30-50% had near misses because people wouldn't give way. That is why, back-in as much as possible.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter, they still have to give it. And some people won't give you right of way. I've been a delivery driver for a couple of months now, and of all the times I backed out blind with alarm lights on, about 30-50% had near misses because people wouldn't give way. That is why, back-in as much as possible.
    Backing in perfectly first time just shows greater skills anyways!!

WHY do you do this? It drives me crazy when I see someone park their vehicle backwards, as I cannot fathom what advantage it could possibly bring. 95% of people who do this spend more time parking their car than you would if they just had to back out of their space, like usual. Not only that, but backwards-parkers rarely park straight and stay within the lines.

Is it because you want to show off your car? Faster getaway?
    most of the parking lots im my country require for you to park backwards so i guess im use to do it that way