Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccio View Post
    Because that's what people are asking for, they want grindy things again. I like that it will take a long time to get all your artifact power, prestige 12 and max rank of professions.

Also people want alts to feel like alts again, so this is a way to make them feel like alts again.
    Artifact power will take about few weeks max 1 month to get your weapon to max level jsut saying.

I don't know is there something I am missing? Making things take a long time to upgrade and tying large amounts of player power to that just seems like a kick to the nuts for alts.
    I am thinking they will add a speed up for alts once you have completed on a first toon. Even if not though would it really be so bad to go back to having only a few alts? The game became so fast and easy I have 18 100s and a soon to be 19th, but really I had better game experience back in BC when I only had 2 70s and wrath with 4 80s. I think having an army of alts kinda defeats the purpose of playing an mmorpg, where choice needs to be made and characters focused on. No one gets attached to their character and story anymore, thats not how an rpg goes down, people have been saying for years wow lost the rpg element. Partly because having so many alts means little time devoted to one, to make it a full character with its own story and path.

Quote Originally Posted by Soccio View Post
    Well, alright i didn't know that, but then again you get all of your order resources only from doing world quests and just things outside of your class hall, so i don't see what the problem is.
    Fixed. You could not generate order hall resources from order hall inself. Only from outdoor activities. So look at this *madatory* trait as at max valor upgrade for your weapon. But instead of valor/gold you need to farm resources doing quests/dungeons/raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethrezen View Post
    Man I miss this kind of content gating... No lie.
    I looked forward to doing it all on one character.

Not so much on more than maybe one other. I'd still rather have this system of content gating than the Legendary quest social gating. No ring? No raid spot.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Talking about the class hall in this case. It takes roughly a month of real time regardless of how much you play the game to fully upgrade your class hall and I kind of wonder why..

The requirements are already fairly step from a resource perspective adding two weeks to complete the last step of it seems overkill. I don't really see the purpose of it. If it is to act as a nerf it seems bizarre since it is going to be available roughly around the second week of mythic.

I don't know is there something I am missing? Making things take a long time to upgrade and tying large amounts of player power to that just seems like a kick to the nuts for alts.
    I grew up on a farm, dairyfarm more precise.
    While i was growing up i found out that baby calves they eat, they eat and eat, they don't stop. i've literally seen calves eat themselfs to death.They have no offswitch then it comes to food.
    Now, thats not a good thing, so you poor limited of milk for them in the bucket.

Same goes for WoW, if you give the players zero restrictions or gating, they will consume EVERYTHING at once, and then some more.
    Hence the gating. It's the only logical way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Talking about the class hall in this case. It takes roughly a month of real time regardless of how much you play the game to fully upgrade your class hall and I kind of wonder why..
    "Bringing back"?

Did I do a different legendary quest and pathfinder achievement than everyone else?

Its not really time gating content for you to do. It literally just time gates buffs and enhancements to your character, nothing important enough to cause you to miss out on pvp or raiding, or early dungeon content. People complaining about alts, ok make some nice cases to blizzard but dont just bitch and moan because they probably have an alt friendly catch up mechanic.

Man yall would of hated vanilla/bc when even thinking about starting an alt character gave you anxiety attacks. Just doing the kara key chain on 3 alts was enough to drive me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    I grew up on a farm, dairyfarm more precise.
    While i was growing up i found out that baby calves they eat, they eat and eat, they don't stop. i've literally seen calves eat themselfs to death.They have no offswitch then it comes to food.
    Now, thats not a good thing, so you poor limited of milk for them in the bucket.

Same goes for WoW, if you give the players zero restrictions or gating, they will consume EVERYTHING at once, and then some more.
    Hence the gating. It's the only logical way.
    Pretty much Blizzard's reasoning. They're quite aware that many people don't know how to limit themselves and actively need to be forced to stop.
    Main difference to calves being that those can't spam forums asking for more milk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Time gates are put in when there is not enough content to keep you subbed.

Time gates serve 2 distinct purposes:

1- Slow down content consumption to extend the time you have to stay subscribed.

2- By pacing the content, it makes sure that power gaps between people who play a lot and people who play less doesn't grow too large.

Quote Originally Posted by Etrock08 View Post
    Man yall would of hated vanilla/bc when even thinking about starting an alt character gave you anxiety attacks. Just doing the kara key chain on 3 alts was enough to drive me crazy.
    Um kara attunment was lifted in March 2008 >_>

The bigger hurdle was no one wanted to take a character in a mix of dungeon and rep rewards to a kara run because it would slow down their 22 badge farm.

Because some of the player base enjoy the journey, rather than being just gifted everything with little effort?

"Time gates suck" - every mmo player ever
    "Lack of content sucks" - every mmo player ever

Aside from the obvious fact Blizz wants to turn a profit, there is also the fact that they want you to actually play and enjoy the game. If you can beat the game on the first day, you won't enjoy it, no matter what you think you want.

Because Archimonde said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Eh? I don't know, I was raiding a lot in TBC and we didn't have a problem with getting people attuned, it took very little time and it was a nice thing to check a trial on.
    My only issue with attunement is a lot of guilds were lazier than yours and would opt to poach rather than attune their own damn people. I'm not sure I agree it 'took very little time' - that's probably a late expansion opinion. When the expansion landed they had to be revered with, what, three factions?.... to even really start the chain. That in itself can take time, or money if your server produced enough turn-ins to buy.....and gold takes time (especially if that is competing with the 5000g you needed for epic flight).

I mean all you have to do is look at the chart someone posted with BC's attunements (that stop at Hyjal - BT was a whole nother pile of requirements not listed) to see that.... yeah... that doesn't take 'little time'.

Kael'thas and Vashj alone stopped many people in their tracks. There were a lot of guilds that never saw Hyjal until the attunment was lifted. Never again the 3/4 5/6 raid guild times.
    Last edited by emilylorange; 2016-04-25 at 04:23 PM.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    To make you subbed longer
    This pretty much, but it´s not as simple:

The longer something takes, the more worthy it becomes and the more opportunities new players have to start it, because it´s worth it.

It is a good pulling factor, plus it is as it should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    "Time gates suck" - every mmo player ever
    "Lack of content sucks" - every mmo player ever

Aside from the obvious fact Blizz wants to turn a profit, there is also the fact that they want you to actually play and enjoy the game. If you can beat the game on the first day, you won't enjoy it, no matter what you think you want.
    Obvious solution: add content instead of time gates.

I'm amazed people are bringing up TBC as an example of "not being held back by gating". Sure, you could start out with the first tier and progress as fast as you wanted. But, the problem is, the players that got loot first often jumped ship to a guild doing the next tier, instead of sticking around to farm loot for all and then move on. It was a disaster for many guilds and the players hated that aspect of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Content isn't free. Do you want to pay more per month, or more per expansion?

Do you also expect Coca cola to release new cans that are larger, for the same price? Do you also expect all options on new cars to be included in the base price?

They obviously need to do better than WoD, in terms of having things to do. But the solution to that isn't each expansion has 15 raids and 50 dungeons. We need to be realistic about our expectations, unless we want to be disappointed.

Time gates are about one thing - concern among the capital behind the creation of video games that they will be sued and/or receive bad press as a result of horror stories about people destroying their lives as a result of playing video games for long hours. Activision Blizzard absolutely does not want another story about someone dying after a 20+ hour World of Warcraft marathon, or losing their marriage/friends/family/whatever as a result of isolation based on their game.

Time gates give a publisher and developer a design argument that they are doing their best to help players play responsibly, which they may very well have to use in court at some point.

There never used to be time gates at all in any video game, back before the industry became mammoth and capital had a lot to potentially lose through their game design.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    Not obvious, shortsighted. It's impossible to add content fast enough to keep up with the players unless you slow them down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    There never used to be time gates at all in any video game, back before the industry became mammoth and capital had a lot to potentially lose through their game design.
    Might have more to do with Pong just not having very many places were you could possibly add one. The industry has become significant decades ago, but the issue didn't really come up with pre-internet multiplayer games.