Yup. Marth in smash was the only reason FE games ever came over to the US, captain falcon is only still relevant because of smash and I'm not entirely sure why he's not in MK8
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Pretty sure people started loving a lot of these characters you are naming before Smash ever existed. Just because you might be young enough to have never owned the amazing thing that was the SNES, or played N64 in it's early years does not mean every one is.

People who love Falcon, or Falco likely loved them long before they where ever in Smash. F-Zero and Star Fox are both cult favorites, acting like Smash is the only reason people like the characters is laughable at best.

What's next, people only like Ness because of Smash when Earthbound(Mother 2) is one of the greatest games of all time?
    Last edited by Tech614; 2016-04-25 at 02:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    star fox zero has alot worse problems than controls.

its clear nintendo has no idea how to handle the star fox ip and keep revisiting the same boring 64 game weve seen a million times now.

star fox needs to be reinvented, this type of game just doesnt have a place anymore.

was playing ratchet and clank, id like to see something like that with star fox, or maybe a fps like prime.

people still love these characters but lets be honest, like captain falcon, its almost entirely because of smash bros.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe if nintendo actually let platinum do more than a couple levels it wouldve been better. miyamoto has been showing his age lately. while fresher blood like retro and the guys behind splatoon are raking in the fun.
    I would love to hear your take on what those problems are. Let it be known that I'm going into this heavily disagreeing with the notion that games like these (rail-shooters essentially) don't have a place in the gaming market anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    I would love to hear your take on what those problems are. Let it be known that I'm going into this heavily disagreeing with the notion that games like these (rail-shooters essentially) don't have a place in the gaming market anymore.
    story feels awkward and it honestly feels like playing a prettier starfox 3d with some extra stuff thrown on and a new coat of paint and controls.

the star fox ip as a whole has stagnated.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Pretty sure people started loving a lot of these characters you are naming before Smash ever existed. Just because you might be young enough to have never owned the amazing thing that was the SNES, or played N64 in it's early years does not mean every one is.

People who love Falcon, or Falco likely loved them long before they where ever in Smash. F-Zero and Star Fox are both cult favorites, acting like Smash is the only reason people like the characters is laughable at best.

What's next, people only like Ness because of Smash when Earthbound(Mother 2) is one of the greatest games of all time?
    Oh course there was a reason that they were in Smash in the first place. Because they were loved. But the only reason Captain Falcon is STILL relevant is because of Smash. He hasn't had a game in 12 years.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelavar View Post
    It does nothing to differentiate itself from the same genre of games that can be had on steam for <$5. So you can hold the opinion rail shooters have a place, but that place isn't with full priced games on the WiiU when indie games on steam can do better with far less money and at much higher graphic fidelity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Oh course there was a reason that they were in Smash in the first place. Because they were loved. But the only reason Captain Falcon is STILL relevant is because of Smash. He hasn't had a game in 12 years.
    Most people are just being hipsters who claim to know him. I only know him *really* because of hearing him say Falcon Punch in smash like a gazillion times.
    BAD WOLF

how many people would even know what earthbound is if it wasnt for smash?

im not saying they didnt earn there place in smash when they were first introduced, but lets be honest here.

there hasnt been an earthbound game since the gba 10 years ago which was never released outside of japan, f-zero hasnt been seen nor heard of and as far as we know the only effort nintendo has made on a new f-zero game was offering the need for speed guys to make one for them.

star fox has had more exposure but there games are still pretty niche and there hasnt been a non 64 remake in 10 years.

kids who go out and think about buying a wiiu, or the nx when it comes out only know these people from smash, they love these characters but ultimately know very little about their actual games.

could you imagine how awesome a ratchet and clank type game would be with star fox characters? that be amazing. or an action adventure game with captain falcon.

nintendo has so many ip they havent fully capitalized on its insane.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    theres few people who can take the piss quite like jim can.

pretty good video

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp....he's 100% correct and he says all the reasons better than I ever could.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Having played Starfox I agree with Jim, this is why I can't be arsed with the Wii U. The controls are just...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Having played Starfox I agree with Jim, this is why I can't be arsed with the Wii U. The controls are just...
    I was actually offended at how bad they were because they disable me from playing games, the primary purpose for buying the damned thing in the first place. I keep saying I'm going to buy the pro controller so I can play smash and Zelda(properly), but I just cba to do it. If my wife wasn't so attached to her Zelda games, I would have traded it in within the first few months of having it.

I find my 3DS is the only system they know what they're doing with.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Welp....he's 100% correct and he says all the reasons better than I ever could.
    He's correct about an opinion?

Go look at the crazy shit Star Fox speedrunners are doing with the game(btw they seem to love the game as the true heir to 64) they couldn't do some of the shit they're doing in a million years using the dated archaic control scheme of old Star Fox games.

People who can't handle gyro controls should just stay away from splatoon or any Nintendo type shooter game in the future, because they aren't going anywhere and even if you can turn them off(like in splatoon) you're putting yourself at a massive disadvantage by doing so because you can't adjust. Jim just posting another video for his fans(90% of which will not play this game or understand it) to circle jerk to him to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post

I find my 3DS is the only system they know what they're doing with.
    Yet, Star Fox 3D used gyro as well. Cool story bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    ....but hows StarFox Guard?

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    ....but hows StarFox Guard?
    Probably good if you're into tower defense games. Not my thing.

splatoon was universally praised though.

star fox is at best getting average reviews. its mediocre, control scheme or not.

if you pay attention to the video you would see its less about the controls but how forcing the devs to "come up with something new" pretty much ruined the game.

had it been a normal control scheme they couldve made a much better game instead of wasting time.

and its not gyro people are even bitching about, its the two screens. if it was just gyro and the tv screen could accurately show aim it be fine but you're constantly juxtaposed between two shitty fields of view, one where you cant aim properly and one you cant asses your surroundings and fly properly.

nobody gives a fuck about what speedrunners can do, theres a korean kid who can eat 100 hot dogs in like 10 minutes doesnt mean i can.

10+ Year Old Account

Yet, Star Fox 3D used gyro as well. Cool story bro.
    His argument is invalid because that star fox game uses gyro controls? Cool story bro. Were those controls not optional BTW?

According to the wiki they seem to be

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_64_3D

"The player can also enable "Gyro Controls", using the 3DS' internal gyroscope sensor to control the Arwing. Character dialogue, messages and control information are displayed on the touch screen."
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2016-04-25 at 07:26 PM.

Splatoon was not universally praised, it reviewed better then Star Fox Zero but an 80 metacritic is far from some amazing feat. Splatoon had a lot of people calling it a bomb before it would release and raising bullshit complaints about the gyro controls being turned on by default. Lo and behold Splatoon is not likely the defining game of the Wii U.

Get out of here with your non sense if you're going to try and act like Splatoon reviewed like 3D World or Mario Kart 8, pretty far from the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    His argument is invalid because that star fox game uses gyro controls? Cool story bro. Were those controls not optional BTW?

According to the wiki they seem to be

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fox_64_3D

"The player can also enable "Gyro Controls", using the 3DS' internal gyroscope sensor to control the Arwing. Character dialogue, messages and control information are displayed on the touch screen."
    His argument is invalid because he is saying a superior control scheme is "bad". Try to keep up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Splatoon was not universally praised, it reviewed better then Star Fox Zero but an 80 metacritic is far from some amazing feat. Splatoon had a lot of people calling it a bomb before it would release and raising bullshit complaints about the gyro controls being turned on by default. Lo and behold Splatoon is not likely the defining game of the Wii U.

Get out of here with your non sense if you're going to try and act like Splatoon reviewed like 3D World or Mario Kart 8, pretty far from the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

His argument is invalid because he is saying a superior control scheme is "bad". Try to keep up.
    SO its superior based on what? What you think? Yeah sure, what ever.

splatoon is considered the killer app of the wiiu.