Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    According to the article used for this thread she did get arrested for a piece in metro daily. Your personal feelings towards her should not play a role here in finding this normal or not.
    Not exactly.
    It mentiones that she got arrested for retweeting said piece from out of Turkey. That she posted it in a metro daily first is not relevant (because that didn't happen in Turkey).

10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey is turning into the unfunny version of North Korea. Kim atleast has the appearance of a big baby so it works when he goes nuts
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    She wrote the article in the Netherlands.
    And she publicly repeated quotes from her own article while in Turkey. That they were posted somewhere else first is irelevant.
    She, a Turkish citicen, broke Turkish law while in Turkey -- that is pretty clear cut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Not exactly.
    It mentiones that she got arrested for retweeting said piece from out of Turkey. That she posted it in a metro daily first is not relevant (because that didn't happen in Turkey).
    Well you're free to spin this as much you want to defend it, i find it indefensible.

and none of that justifies arresting a Dutch citizens for something she did in her own country, but nice try mr.Turk.
    Nothing justifies arresting her in any civilized country. It's bullshit that this would even be illegal in Turkey for a Turkish citizen to do, it's absolute batshit buggery of the fucking fuckest order that other countries in Europe are collaborating in it.

Erdogan is a twat. Come at me bro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Well you're free to spin this as much you want to defend it, i find it indefensible.
    Some people defend anything if it stands in the law.
    Those same people would complain if we, the dutch, put in sanctions on Turkey if they did not release her.

I'm not 'defending' it, just pointing out the facts.
    'Spinning it' is what those implying she did not break any local laws did.
    Just because we think those laws are disgusting does not give us the authority to ignore them.

- - - Updated - - -

Those same people would complain if we, the dutch, put in sanctions on Turkey if they did not release her.
    Hopefully your not adessing that at me, because I'm not defending those laws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because we think those laws are disgusting does not give us the authority to ignore them.

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully your not adessing that at me, because I'm not defending those laws.
    I did adress it to you. The Netherlands has all rights to get her back, with means that government finds acceptable.
    Not defending the laws, but you defend Turkey's rigth to lock her up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes you are or at the very least justifying it. You are saying it's okay to arrest a person for writing, commenting and what not anywhere, since it got 'retweeted'. So actually the comments made weren't made in Turkey, now for me to believe that she got arrested for that is rather hard since all the other recent media stories around these incidents doesn't seem to really matter where comments were made. Seeing how emoturk is demanding prosecution of people that made any comments about him and he hiding behind his bodyguards who bully reporters or at least try to out of the room.

Now the argument of "its their laws!" would also be good if we believe that Turkeys law system is not compromised heavily due to political influences if not corrupt. You would have to be a fool to believe that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Atleast Erdogan is giving our political parties something to agree on.
    Its quite rare.

According to the article used for this thread she did get arrested for a piece in metro daily. Your personal feelings towards her should not play a role here in finding this normal or not.
    "A Dutch journalist was arrested early Sunday (April 24) at her home in Turkey for tweets deemed critical of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, according to her Twitter account.

Umar recently wrote a piece critical of Erdogan for the Dutch daily Metro, extracts of which she then tweeted, leading to her arrest."

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Well, it is all those things, but she was in a backwards country so she was subject to their backwards laws.
    Thanks to that backwards country Europe isn't getting flooded with refugees.

Its a popular vacation country, although Erdogan seems to want to put a stop to that.
    I love how people just pull statements out of their ass like this. What the hell has Erdogan done or announced he would do that would want to lower tourism to Turkey? People are seriously so brainwashed to hate Erdogan that they can't think clearly anymore. He has a lot of flaws and weird ideas but this is ridiculous.

It clearly does, sadly, I doubt he'll overcome his personal bias.
    To just drop your fellow countrymen/woman over your personal opinions... good thing he is probably in a very tiny minority here. Plenty of people hate her, but they don't wish this upon her.
    Except it doesn't as the information that she was arrested for her tweets comes FROM HER OWN TWITTER.

And why the hell should I support her when she's breaking the law? I wouldn't want foreigners coming to the Netherlands and breaking the law here either, so why should I support someone with a Dutch passport who is doing that abroad?

She wrote the article in the Netherlands.
    Doesn't matter, if she retweets it while in Turkey. Retweeting things that are punishable by law without distancing yourself from what you retweet is pretty much the same as tweeting it yourself. When you take into account that she is even the original writer of the piece it's even more obvious what she tries to convey by retweeting that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexton View Post
    Honestly don't break the laws in Turkey. Problem is she's wasn't in Turkey at the time of the "crime" making it pretty strange.

First sign a country starts getting trouble is when freedom of speech gets eroded, second is when they scrap secular laws. Just look at Bangladesh, started secular now shit hole.
    She was breaking the law in Turkey. She tweeted fucker Erdogan and retweeted her own insulting column from last week from her vacation home in Kusadasi (Turkey).

Also, what secular law is Turkey scrapping? This law has nothing to do with secularism or lack thereof. If anything it's a nationalist law.

You find it indefensible that she gets arrested for breaking the law somewhere?

Yes, because why should we be sanctioning Turkey for arresting someone who broke the law? Imagine a Turk comes here and breaks the law and Turkey starts sanctioning the Netherlands for it until they send him/her back. That's utterly ridiculous. There's no way in hell the Netherlands would sanction Turkey for this lol. We still do business with Saudi Arabia who execute people from being critical of Islam or for being homosexual. The Netherlands cares too much about that sweet cashflow to show balls over minor incidents like this. We're not a big political player in the world anymore. That ended with World War 2. We're far too dependent on other countries for pretty much everything. The only time the Netherlands ever sanctions any country in any way is if it's done by the EU collectively.

Yes you are or at the very least justifying it. You are saying it's okay to arrest a person for writing, commenting and what not anywhere, since it got 'retweeted'. So actually the comments made weren't made in Turkey, now for me to believe that she got arrested for that is rather hard since all the other recent media stories around these incidents doesn't seem to really matter where comments were made. Seeing how emoturk is demanding prosecution of people that made any comments about him and he hiding behind his bodyguards who bully reporters or at least try to out of the room.

Now the argument of "its their laws!" would also be good if we believe that Turkeys law system is not compromised heavily due to political influences if not corrupt. You would have to be a fool to believe that.
    https://twitter.com/umarebru/status/723760511662301184

Also, she has been in Turkey since April 17th and her column was published on the 21st and she retweeted it herself.

Those are most likely the two tweets she got arrested for.

One may not disagree with such law, that doesn't give you right complain about its application. This is the nature of law and it is the only way to make it work. "I do not want to enforce this law, because it doesn't fit my world view" is absurd. If it's not a proper law, people can always urge politicians to change it. If it's there, you have to make it work. By "making it work" here, I do not necessarily mean looking for random people who might have broken some fringe law, but applying it when someone/some attorney goes to court.

I think you are either completely ignorant regarding the basics of law, or your hate for Erdogan is barring your brain to function properly. This also seems like the case for @Acidbaron. You guys are entertaining a weird form of idealism that is fundamentally in conflict with the nature of modern judiciary systems. I am personally in favor of removing any kind of special protection for politicians, save for Ataturk (this is for some more complex reasons), but if it's there, I can't really complain about its application.

As for putting sanctions to Turkey, just more of the same weird idealism that I often see in ignorant people. Turkey buys way more than it sells to Europe. It's a one of the best customer Europe has, why would you lose a customer for some random bullshit in Turkey? Besides, no one would actually notice if Netherlands puts sanctions to Turkey. Your country is simply too small to have an actual effect so I doubt anyone would complain.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2016-04-25 at 10:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seriously though, fuck Erdogan. What kinda leader freaks out over tweets, fb posts, youtube, etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes you are or at the very least justifying it.
    This is about as backwards and ridiculous as saying that because I recognize that Hitler used the Jews as a target to consolidate his power that I support or justify his actions. She was arrested because she violated Turkish law, contrary to claims that she should not have been arrested because she did tweets in the Netherlands. Not liking this Turkish law does not mean that said law does not exist.

Deleted
    All the leaders there are now can never be compared with Hitler.

Don't believe everything yo uread in history books.

Hitler was one of the greatest leaders ever, saving his people fighting for them.

Now our leaders are trying to destroy their own people...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This is about as backwards and ridiculous as saying that because I recognize that Hitler used the Jews as a target to consolidate his power that I support or justify his actions. She was arrested because she violated Turkish law, contrary to claims that she should not have been arrested because she did tweets in the Netherlands. Not liking this Turkish law does not mean that said law does not exist.
    And it also not mean they have the rigth to arrest a dutch citizen for this bullshit without getting any backlash from the dutch government.

We, the Dutch, should in no way feel obliged to respect those laws.
    Acid is spot on, its backwards to do nothing about this bullshit.
    Last edited by JohnBrown1917; 2016-04-26 at 12:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is typically a bad idea to criticize a dictator...while in said dictator's country.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It is typically a bad idea to criticize a dictator...while in said dictator's country.
    She wrote it while she was in the netherlands.
    Not that it smart to go to Turkey for anybody who dislikes erdogan.

10+ Year Old Account
    She wrote it while she was in the netherlands.
    Not that it smart to go to Turkey for anybody who dislikes erdogan.
    I don't quite understand the penchant for Western journalists to white scathing articles about foreign countries...and then decide to move there.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I don't quite understand the penchant for Western journalists to white scathing articles about foreign countries...and then decide to move there.
    Her parents are from Turkey.