Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    As a conservative, I sure hope so!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with your distinction but, it seems the people were under the impression they got to choose the candidate. It would appear they do not get that right.
    Not really, I mean honestly everyone has always known that the primaries' final say is the party. Just like technically the electoral college can vote how they want for president, assuming they don't want to get reelected. I mean I guess we should complain how Obama ran unopposed for the most part last election since people didn't have a choice? Also there was a good 50 year period where we didn't even have primaries or anything resembling them. Primaries are only the result of a bipartisan system.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    He's getting a higher percentage of the popular vote than Trump.
    Funny how you have to look at the percentiles. Raw vote:
    Sanders - 7,710,382
    Trump - 8,722,467

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ote_count.html
    Last edited by Lionhearte0; 2016-04-26 at 04:37 AM.

What I don't get is why Primaries are done on a state by state basis. Most of the time the candidates for both parties are decided long before it gets to this point. Kinda makes it so the states that hold their primaries last get the short end of the stick when it comes to choosing their candidates.

Kasich is an embarrassment at this point and he's running purely to spite Trump. He's only won literally 1 state, this guy is beyond arrogant if he thinks he deserves to be nominated for President. Cruz on the flip side has one some states no doubt, but the republicans have gone off the deep end if they think he has any sort of shot at beating Hillary. Even if she got tossed in jail and they faced off, he would still lose lmao. Trump no doubt has a mountain to climb but he's still the best chance. He's pulled off major upsets on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Kasich is an embarrassment at this point and he's running purely to spite Trump. He's only won literally 1 state, this guy is beyond arrogant if he thinks he deserves to be nominated for President. Cruz on the flip side has one some states no doubt, but the republicans have gone off the deep end if they think he has any sort of shot at beating Hillary. Even if she got tossed in jail and they faced off, he would still lose lmao. Trump no doubt has a mountain to climb but he's still the best chance. He's pulled off major upsets on a regular basis.
    According to polls the Republican with the best shot of beating Hillary in the general is Kasich. That's why he's still in the race...he's really the best shot they have at winning

http://http://www.realclearpolitics....nton-5162.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    According to polls the Republican with the best shot of beating Hillary in the general is Kasich. That's why he's still in the race...he's really the best shot they have at winning

Then why isn't he winning?

Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0 View Post
    He's not running against Hillary right now.

Neither Cruz nor Trump are going to get the independents to vote for them. They view Kasich more favorably.

Nobody really likes Hillary. She's just less hated than Trump or Cruz.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2016-04-26 at 04:51 AM.

Because the base they are trying to appeal to in the primaries is further to the right than Kasich.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

Kasich only appears to have a shot because Hillary has almost never mentioned him. Same thing with Bernie, on the flip side, when compared to republicans. And she has no need to address him - he's not a threat in any shape or form. That being said in a real political campaign between the two, Kasich is not going to win lol. He's literally only gotten one state, I just can't see any feasible shot for this guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny how you have to look at the percentiles. Raw vote:
    Sanders - 7,710,382
    Trump - 8,722,467

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...ote_count.html
    Yeah total votes. I wonder why there would be more total votes happening on the Republican primary this year. Doesn't change the fact that Trump is only pulling 38% of his own party, and barely leading in raw votes against the guy who's losing on the democratic side. It's kind of pitiful really.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

A lot of the rabid support for Cruz and Trump are also from people even further right than Kasich and a huge amount of uninformed voters. Then he can't rely on the independent vote.

Kasich is fucking right but at least he's sane. All the voter support for Trump and Cruz then puts even moderate Republicans in a tough spot of supporting Kasich who doesn't stand a chance due to their voter base outcry for Trump and Cruz, Trump/Cruz who are both despised, or Hillary, who is at least a known commodity and basically Republican lite despite running with a D tag.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2016-04-26 at 05:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Kasich only appears to have a shot because Hillary has almost never mentioned him. Same thing with Bernie, on the flip side, when compared to republicans. And she has no need to address him - he's not a threat in any shape or form. That being said in a real political campaign between the two, Kasich is not going to win lol. He's literally only gotten one state, I just can't see any feasible shot for this guy.
    Could be.

Fact remains that, as the polls stand right now, she beats Cruz or Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure anymore that Hillary will do well in the general. I wouldn't be surprised if the republicans have their own tapes ready to play of those speeches she won't release transcripts of. And will fill the airwaves with them in the final weeks. I'm also getting a more and more bitter vibe between Bernie and Hillary supporters so I suspect it won't take a lot of convincing to make many Bernies stay home on election day. And the thought of Hillary in the White House could be a rallying cry for the republicans.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Sure.... all Kasich is good at doing is eating.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Sure.... all Kasich is good at doing is eating.
    At least he doesn't ramble his way through speeches the way Trump does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Considering that gives a free win to the Democratic party for the duration I can get behind that idea perfectly well.

This joining of forces is pointless. Trump will be the largest by the convention, this is unavoidable. Even if this strategy keeps him off the 51% required for an outright win what are they going to do at the convention? Pick someone that is not Trump or Cruz? (since Cruz is just as hated by the establishment). Ignoring the 2 front runners, who have heavily drawn on the anti-establishment crowd, the no crowd, is going to be met with a massive rebellion by the Republican voters and may well kill the party for all intents and purposes.
    It's much safer to let Trump get the nomination, have him inevitably fail in the general election and then point and say "We need to take a different course".
    That way you can try to save the party and re-align it, instead of burning it to the ground.
    There are two massive problems with letting Trump take the nomination from the perspective of a committed member of the party hierarchy (elected or unelected).

Problem One: He might actually win. (Because Clinton is terrible.)
    If Trump becomes President, he's going to do his best to turn the Republican Party into the Trumpublican Party - simultaneously making it a party of Trump, by Trump, and for the benefit of Trump; and at the same time, he'll be turning the party's credibility into sewage. After 4 years of President Trump, the Republicans will be even less popular than the were after the Great Depression hit.

Problem Two: nominee Trump wrecks the Republican brand just by existing.
    Trump motivates anti-Trump turn-out, and motivates that turnout to vote D; he also discourages a massive number of Republican voters, who are alternately horrified, embarrassed, or disgusted. Trump will hurt Republicans chances across the board - the Senate, the House, state legislators and governors (not to mention giving the Democrats years worth of ammunition; we'll be seeing negative ads directed at Republicans over Trump a decade from now, assuming there's still a Republican party and elections).

There's also the minor problem that Trump isn't actually a Republican - he's a ego-driven fascist (or populist); for Republicans who are sincere in their ideals and believe in something other than a party run on bigotry and ignorance, this is a deal-breaker. A side effect of that is that letting him get the nomination and lose doesn't set an example and suggest "steering a different course"; Cruz (who is a committed conservative Republican) could provide a salutary example if he gets creamed in the general - but Trump will just encourage future imitators to try and hijack the party themselves.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

too little too late, fuckies. The GOP base is sick of its establishment. I look forward to when the same happens to te Dems. Both parties collapsing from thier bases finally saying fuck you to the status quo can't come soon enough.

If the Republicans were going to join forces to destroy Trump, then they should have done so a long time ago before he had built up any momentum and when there were still quasi-electable establishment candidates in the race. But of course, party unity and credibility was never going to be enough to overcome the GOP's collective crab bucket mentality, and now they are paying the price for that. Trump is going to be the nominee regardless of what the GOP tries to pull now, he'll probably still get creamed in the general but who knows what will happen between now and then.

Trumps nickname for Kasich is "1 for 38".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    If the Republicans were going to join forces to destroy Trump, then they should have done so a long time ago before he had built up any momentum and when there were still quasi-electable establishment candidates in the race. But of course, party unity and credibility was never going to be enough to overcome the GOP's collective crab bucket mentality, and now they are paying the price for that. Trump is going to be the nominee regardless of what the GOP tries to pull now, he'll probably still get creamed in the general but who knows what will happen between now and then.
    They did and this is their last option or didn't you notice the hundreds of millions of dollars in attack ads?.

15+ Year Old Account
    Strange how he's winning. How's ya boy Bernie doin'?
    People do know the difference between primaries and general election, right?

If Trump had been running against a single other candidate from the beginning, he would be getting creamed. He wouldn't even be being considered successful. The establishment Republican vote got divided so many ways early on, and Trump is now having a harder time that fewer candidates are running.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"