Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Which is what vanilla was. I mean sure maybe add a couple of year long rep grinds like timbermaw and winterspring mount, but the largest diff between vanilla and now is QOL changes.

I still can't wait till a year after vanilla servers if they happened and the inevitable "blizz new content plz"
    From what I understood they wanted the old azeroth too (world, quests, classes, talent trees, specs, etc). Not WoD with grindy leveling

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    Which is what vanilla was. I mean sure maybe add a couple of year long rep grinds like timbermaw and winterspring mount, but the largest diff between vanilla and now is QOL changes....
    Can't believe you believe that...

This part stuck out to me, which is something a lot of people may or may not like to hear. Take the quote how you will though, but I found it amusing to what some people here said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    Some of us are capable of a little abstract thought.
    Obviously not you though, considering you can't figure out where the burden of proof is in this discussion. Pro tip: on you ;]

Anyway... there's another "no" to add to the "wall of NO" ;D

/thread, I guess? ;>

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post

This part stuck out to me, which is something a lot of people may or may not like to hear. Take the quote how you will though, but I found it amusing to what some people here said.
    Randoms not working at Blizzard were able to do it, why can't Blizzard? The answer is they don't want to. Obviously anything they do is going to be hard work, but that's the same about any aspect of making new stuff in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by brunnor View Post
    Randoms not working at Blizzard were able to do it, why can't Blizzard? The answer is they don't want to. Obviously anything they do is going to be hard work, but that's the same about any aspect of making new stuff in this game.
    Pretty sure if blizz released the nostalrius servers they would get slammed for serving buggy stuff and not actually delivering the standard they normally do so not really comparable

Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    Can't believe you believe that...
    Seeing as I played in vanilla, every difference is based on QOL. Scaling raids, more grouped up quest givers, lfg. All these changes are routed in making QOL better.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanatoss View Post
    Did it? This is hardly a vanilla server like they wanted. It's just retail minus Quality of Life changes
    Yes they got a response. That's more than I expected.
    Last edited by mmocd6d7b58413; 2016-04-26 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This is pretty awesome. Though a PRISTINE server wouldn't solve much.
    Sure no LFX helps
    Sure no Cross-server stuff helps
    Sure no leveling acceleration helps
    Sure no heirloomgear helps
    etc
    Everything they named, does help. But the game is still too fucking easy.
    There would still be next to no danger in the open world
    Anonymity would be lessened. No doubt in my mind. But as everything is still too easy, talking in dungeons would still be far less then it should be. I mean if I wanted to quest in the open world, could I do that still solo? Yes I could. So... ?
    If I wanted to dungeoneer, would I need to discuss tactics? No I would not, so...?

These small things they mentioned sofar, while admirable and I know that if such a thing would be made... is not the complete version perhaps... But without the danger, the need to communicate, this server would ultimately also fail.

Quote Originally Posted by srathgar View Post
    Pretty sure if blizz released the nostalrius servers they would get slammed for serving buggy stuff and not actually delivering the standard they normally do so not really comparable
    They also need to work out which patch each server would run, what set of balance etc.

You can go back through and read the 1,000 some pages of people explaining in better detail how an emulated server is nothing like a live retail server for a game

Deleted
    Yet a bunch of people built and ran their own legacy server that scaled up to 150k players and worked well. If Blizzard is serious about not being able to pull of legacy servers and it's not just a poor excuse, they seriously need to make major changes in their technical staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    This is pretty awesome. Though a PRISTINE server wouldn't solve much.
    Sure no LFX helps
    Sure no Cross-server stuff helps
    Sure no leveling acceleration helps
    Sure no heirloomgear helps
    etc
    Everything they named, does help. But the game is still too fucking easy.
    There would still be next to no danger in the open world
    Anonymity would be lessened. No doubt in my mind. But as everything is still too easy, talking in dungeons would still be far less then it should be. I mean if I wanted to quest in the open world, could I do that still solo? Yes I could. So... ?
    If I wanted to dungeoneer, would I need to discuss tactics? No I would not, so...?

These small things they mentioned sofar, while admirable and I know that if such a thing would be made... is not the complete version perhaps... But without the danger, the need to communicate, this server would ultimately also fail.
    Without content updates, vanilla would also fail, since that's the biggest complaint people ever have with wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    You are right that the team has to prove their worth - considering that millions of players have been leaving WoW (last time we saw, roughly half their fan base left early in WoD, about 5 million) if the legacy server team can help retain even a fraction of that, or bring in new players, I can imagine that they'd probably be paying off for themselves pretty quickly. Again that's just my speculation though.
    Problem with sub numbers released by blizzard (it always was like that) that they don't show the real picture. There is no way to say by these graphs why people left the game. Blindly blaming random teams is dumb. Arguments like "oh, people left WoW because Cata sucks balls, look at sub numbers in WotLK and Cata" are ridiculous. People may leave because they didn't like the setting. People may leave because they can't afford the game anymore (both money or time-wise). People may leave because they got drafted into the army. People may leave because their favorite class got nerfed. People may leave because they didn't like the constantly changing moba genre. People may leave because their expectations were too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Deleted

Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what these difficulties are (and after seeing a small group of volunteers do it), this doesn't really mean a whole lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because randoms not working at Blizzard make buggy and unstable version of vanilla. For fucks sake, you still can use wpe pro to wreck havoc on private servers, even on your so-beloved nost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    Yet a bunch of people built and ran their own legacy server that scaled up to 150k players and worked well. If Blizzard is serious about not being able to pull of legacy servers and it's not just a poor excuse, they seriously need to do major changes in their technical staff.
    Blizzard could also emulate their own game and do a job way better than any private server could. There is a difference between emulating and recreating the actual game, which maybe you (and many others) don't account for. I'm not saying it's not a stark contrast when a company says they find trouble in doing it, when someone emulates the entire thing.

But the reality is that it's just not that simple. It takes time to implement things to the desired security level and integration with current system -- of which no private server today has even come close to emulating.

PS: I want legacy servers, but I'm not delusional enough to think this isn't a valid reason to really be apprehensive about making the servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxi4s View Post
    Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what these difficulties are (and after seeing a small group of volunteers do it), this doesn't really mean a whole lot.
    It's nothing that is new nor surprising that they said this. The difficulties would obviously be in bringing the old game up to speed on security measures, and somehow integrating all of the technology that they had added on. It would mean re-coding parts of the engine they already did and a simple copy and paste job won't do. That alone is daunting to think about, and Runescape had to do it -- so did EQ. Blizzard has a much higher mountain to climb just because of the client they use, and the loss of code already.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2016-04-26 at 07:05 AM.

Its over?

Seems like Nost fags can only aspire to a server without some qoa options. So happy that Billzard didn't cave to this vocal minority

10+ Year Old Account
    If they wanted they could just take the nostalrius server code and implement it and create a legacy server easily and on short notice. However, I think they don't want to do that. I think if they want legacy servers, which at least a part of the blizzard employees would love, they would like it fully integrated with battle.net. This would mean changing the client as well.

The most important part of this update is the fact that they are actively engaging in a conversation with the nostalrius dev team and will continue to do so. This means at least something is happening.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexodar View Post
    Yet a bunch of people built and ran their own legacy server that scaled up to 150k players and worked well. If Blizzard is serious about not being able to pull of legacy servers and it's not just a poor excuse, they seriously need to make major changes in their technical staff.
    It took what? 8 years, hundreds of volunteer developers across the globe and thousands of man-hours to emulate vanilla wow. Sure "a bunch of people", lel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    If they wanted they could just take the nostalrius server code and implement it and create a legacy server easily and on short notice. However, I think they don't want to do that. I think if they want legacy servers, which at least a part of the blizzard employees would love, they would like it fully integrated with battle.net. This would mean changing the client as well.

The most important part of this update is the fact that they are actively engaging in a conversation with the nostalrius dev team and will continue to do so. This means at least something is happening.
    Earlier in this thread, 600 pages ago, few people, myself included, explained, why it wouldn't work and why it's a bad idea.