7+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV because WoW lost its soul over a decade ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Etselion View Post
    Cus its way cheaper and takes less time than taking them to court.

Nost team should be thankful .
    A court trial could only be applicable if Blizzard could prove Nostalrius took money from Blizzard or stole their code. The people who played Nostalrius weren't stolen from Blizzard, they were people who Blizzard lost as a market long ago. Hopefully soon they'll have us back.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    snip
    Also how long would it take to clear it all? People forget that so much shit was unkillable for a long long time just because it was bugged.
    Now without bugs and with known tactics i'm willing to bet bosses will roll over in no time with those simple mechanics.

7+ Year Old Account
    well good, i agree, but so what about the rest of the questions? i feel like everyone should be able to answer and then come to a agreement if Blizzard would ever make such a server.
    My opinion:

Requires most current WoW Expansion (Maybe)
    Requires an active subscription / is maybe its own fee? I think an active sub is better tbh, or $5 + Active Sub. Though definitely over 10 a month. I'd even be cool with 20.

Quote Originally Posted by VinylScratch View Post
    My opinion:

Requires an active subscription / is maybe its own fee? I think an active sub is better tbh.
    Is BIG no go because that means they are using resources from main game to finance vanilla nonsense, if it had separate sub and team i wouldnt care but leaching from main game nooooooooooooo.

Deleted
    My opinion:

Requires an active subscription / is maybe its own fee? I think an active sub is better tbh, or $5 + Active Sub. Though definitely over 10 a month. I'd even be cool with 20.
    Well personally, i feel like SHould require a active wow subscition and then ofc would not cost more jsut the same for both, but what about all the other questions about, What version? What grafick? What Quiality of life stuff?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparil View Post
    Is BIG no go because that means they are using resources from main game to finance vanilla nonsense, if it had separate sub and team i wouldnt care but leaching from main game nooooooooooooo.
    Implying people wouldn't resub (like myself) SOLELY to play the servers. Contrary to what you believe, a number of us DO NOT CARE for Legion or even WoD. If say hypothetically 1M come back, that revenue isn't due to Current WoW nor should that try to claim the revenue.

Likewise I'd be fine with an extra fee or something, even splitting sub costs just so we avoid the topic of "MY WOW IS CARRYING THE SUBS! FUCK OTHER WOW!"

I couldn't care less about a few thousands loving their tre wow vanilla servers and all.

My only gripe is: what happens when eveyone playing on said legacy server is done with it? I mean, over time it's natural that more and more people "complete" the journey. Also, given the fact how eveyone already knows how to do all the stuff that was in vanilla, it's not anymore an issue of looking for things around, but just to search on google for videos, tactics, farm spots, etc.

Sure, progression will be much slower than on live. But people will make a race for it and once it's been "beaten", i can see people asking for more to do.

If Blizzard makes said servers, it will be a nice addition and i'm sure a pretty hefty amount of people will try to play them. But i'm very unsure about their long-term potential.

EDIT: since the thread is pretty active maybe it's better i specify it - it's a genuine question, not a somewhat masked critic agains vanilla/legacy/whatever servers. I know that private servers are as old as wow, but as far as i know their activity and actual quality is REALLY lacking. Nostalrius is/was a white fly, an exception - and a good one.

Hence my doubts.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2016-04-26 at 09:41 AM.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Looking at Legion, I am more and more inclined to not come back to WoW retail. But if they put up legacy servers or "remake" current wow into the wow that I want, then I'll sub for that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well personally, i feel like SHould require a active wow subscition and then ofc would not cost more jsut the same for both, but what about all the other questions about, What version? What grafick? What Quiality of life stuff?
    Version - Sadly I'd like 1.1 and just have it improve from there to recreate the authentic feel but that could be incredibly taxing, I mean Nostalrius had to artificially take out items and put them in to recreate the effect. Like Molten Core for 6 or so months didn't drop Obsidian Edged Blade, Perdition's Blade, CHT etc. Though I would contend against this because that would also recreate the tier 2 dropping in MC that people would hoard and be full t2 come BWL. TBH I say the 1.12 client is the most stable, though if there was a way to revert talent changes and some of the class changes that'd be desirable. Likewise, gate off the raids, Nostalrius did this by making them require level 61+ to enter I believe then just toned down that level requirement to open the raid. Obviously this means removal of certain NPCs and items like Scarshield Quartermaster, and pretty much all of LHC's NPCs and MANY Silithus quests to recreate that feeling. Nostalrius has a list and I'm sure they'd be more than willing to share.

Graphics - Standard WoW Graphics TBH, MAYBE offer like an "HD" version which has been accomplished on some Vanilla clients with MPQ editing the newer models into the older MPQs. Though make that an optional thing since models don't drastically affect the game. This way it allows people accustomed to older models to have that, or the option for HD. Retroactively it allows people who like the HD models to have that too.

QOL - Crippling bugs fixed. Don't add LFD, LFR or any of that. Keep mount costs where they are. Don't up gold drops, don't make leveling faster or easier. NO BUYING TOONS OR GOLD OR MOUNTS. Race change or Server Change (if applicable) MAYBE. Definitely no faction change. HD Model option would be acceptable QOL as it doesn't impact the game.
    Last edited by VinylScratch; 2016-04-26 at 09:38 AM.

Implying people wouldn't resub (like myself) SOLELY to play the servers. Contrary to what you believe, a number of us DO NOT CARE for Legion or even WoD. If say hypothetically 1M come back, that revenue isn't due to Current WoW nor should that try to claim the revenue.

Likewise I'd be fine with an extra fee or something, even splitting sub costs just so we avoid the topic of "MY WOW IS CARRYING THE SUBS! FUCK OTHER WOW!"
    10 people coming back to to pay full price for vanilla servers are far more likely than 1M, if the costs are seperated. If it is on the same sub then vanilla servers could see some activity from people getting bored of the main game that switches between both the versions of the game for variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I couldn't care less about a few thousands loving their tre wow vanilla servers and all.

My only gripe is: what happens when eveyone playing on said legacy server is done with it? I mean, over time it's natural that more and more people "complete" the journey. Also, given the fact how eveyone already knows how to do all the stuff that was in vanilla, it's not anymore an issue of looking for things around, but just to search on google for videos, tactics, farm spots, etc.

Sure, progression will be much slower than on live. But people will make a race for it and once it's been "beaten", i can see people asking for more to do.

If Blizzard makes said servers, it will be a nice addition and i'm sure a pretty hefty amount of people will try to play them. But i'm very unsure about their long-term potential.
    you do realize that Private server aren't a new concept and there are wrath servers out there that have existed for YEARS and people accept that and still play on it daily

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post

That is why I'd combine retail and legacy servers in 1 sub fee and force the legacy players to own the latest expansion. It would be good for every player and probably a rise in revenue for blizzard, since it would:

a) Bring unsubbed people like myself back to the game.
    b) Get more people to buy legion.
    c) Get those people not originally interested in legion to try the game, and maybe keep playing it.
    d) Have retail players check out legacy servers during content droughts, so they might be less likely to stop subscribing until the new patch/Expansion hits.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Good lord, I just visited the thread on the Blizzard response over on the official forums. Those people are INSANE. It's like many of them didn't even read the response. They just saw an open thread and started yelling "GIMME VANILLA!" and started chewing the furniture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my god, is it me or is this the first time in years they didn't outright say no?

They literally changed their stance. Hope has never been that high!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    you do realize that Private server aren't a new concept and there are wrath servers out there that have existed for YEARS and people accept that and still play on it daily
    They are free and i seriously doubt if they had to pay monthly sub they would stay subbed after they clear last boss or whatnot. Sure they say it now we would pay but just scroll few posts up and you can see people think it should be part of active sub...not very good sign to blizzard that they will actually pay for it.

Okay i had Enough of all this BS. WHat he said, you may dissagree but it is true, if a company does not actively protect a trademark they can loose it. AND Do you / we like they shut it down? No, but It is their lawfull Right to do so. End of it, was it right in a morale way? Who knows that is debateable but it was their lawfull right.

The problem with blizzard doing their own Vanila servers is, AND PLEASE answer me this, is what people are forgetting is,
    aWhat part of vanila AQ 20-40? Naxx?
    What about bugs. What bugs should they have fixed?
    What about the grafic? - Should it stay true to Vanila level of Look + Grafic or should it be as pretty as it is now?
    What about interface? Mass loot, and other stuff.
    What about quaility of life services like Mount bag, Titles being Indidual.

What in 4 years. When people have played lots of vanila, shoudl they end upgrade to TBC server? WHAT if they make one, should you be able to move your currenct Vanila char or have to make a new ones?
    How many servers?
    What should it cost?
    -From the start for me, but I think it was the 1.21 version that most people seem to be ok with.
    - Bugs are bugs, I played perfectly fine then and on Nost with some bugs floating around. Biggest thing you gotta cut out is the huge exploits.
    - Vanilla level is fine, that's what they were on Nost. Things didn't look nearly as bad as I thought they would.
    - If it wasn't in the game then, it shouldn't be in a Legacy server either. That's kind of the point, to play the game how it was at that time
    - Once again, it should be how it was then.

I think whether you upgrade a server or not is a decision for on down the road, maybe a new realm with it uploaded is a better answer. Moving characters or not could be decided then, it's not hugely important now. Heck I would even throw Blizzard a bone and say to move them you need to pay just like on live. All about that $$$ yo.

Number of servers would be based on number of players, but you gotta figure at the start players are going to want at least one PvP and one PvE realm.

Cost wise, whatever they want to charge. No shit, I would buy the game again and give them 15 bucks a month over what I am already paying and not even blink an eye.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knslyr View Post
    10 people coming back to to pay full price for vanilla servers are far more likely than 1M, if the costs are seperated. If it is on the same sub then vanilla servers could see some activity from people getting bored of the main game that switches between both the versions of the game for variety.
    Yeah good point, it'd be a mutually beneficial thing. Since WoD has like no content last I heard. Plus never know, maybe some of those who find their way to us might enjoy their stay and join us. Though I dunno, I threw 1M out as a hypothetical. I can't accurately gauge because one end some wouldn't play because of sub fee, on the other some would take that space because it's Blizzard sanctioned. A big drive away from Nostalrius as said by Asmongold and other streamers was they wanted to play, but they couldn't make any content for their viewers without risking a strike on their channels/streams from Blizz and because of that they weren't willing to play it.

Hell, Sodapoppin had a list of streamers who said if there was legacy servers or a legal way to play them without Blizzard shutting down their streams/youtube channels that they'd make content. Reckful was one, I think Kungen, a few randoms, I think Xaryu was among it. Oddly it was a bunch of the higher end pvpers. Asmongold who is a mythic raider was up there.
    Last edited by VinylScratch; 2016-04-26 at 09:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparil View Post
    They are free and i seriously doubt if they had to pay monthly sub they would stay subbed after they clear last boss or whatnot. Sure they say it now we would pay but just scroll few posts up and you can see people think it should be part of active sub...not very good sign to blizzard that they will actually pay for it.
    I don't think it should be part of the active sub because I'm cheap (I don't sub now), I think it should be part of the active sub because I believe that's the best way for blizzard to earn money from it, and to keep the community together.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    Yes, and apart some really rare excpetion, are pretty much all very bad. Thus, not really relevant - Nostalrius has been a really good one, hence my doubts. My point is, if it's done in the good way, how much time will it need to last to be something worth for Blizzard to invest on?

because it's basically all about this. It cannot turn into a meteor otherwise in addition to the wasted resources it would backfire as an horrible PR trainwreck because "FFS Blizzard cannot even redo Vanilla right" or something on the line.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I don't think it should be part of the active sub because I'm cheap (I don't sub now), I think it should be part of the active sub because I believe that's the best way for blizzard to earn money from it, and to keep the community together.
    Its not better for community since you are fragmenting it.

New player comes and is looking what to play "play vanilla itz ze best" "shutup nub tbc rocks" "wotlk all the way" "legion dont listen to rose tinted glasses".
    And thats not keeping it together i don't care that you play on vanilla server, you are not part of my community since we are not playing same game.

If vanilla can stand on its own legs and pay for itself (blizzard obviously doesnt think so) go for it....if not then i dont want it anywhere near my sub.