Page 15 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Valnoressa's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    And no one is asking Blizzard to take their attention away from live WoW and current content. They are just asking them to work on it in some capacity. I don't think anyone expects Blizzard to just drop what they are doing and just work on Legacy servers. They hire people all the time to do specific types of development, this wouldn't be much different.
    They've already mentioned that time dedicated to focusing on making classic servers a thing and maintaining them would mean less attention/man power on the current more important stuff. I'm pretty sure the company developing the game for the past decade has a pretty good idea of how much time and effort this would be to juggle along side the current iteration of WoW.

People make the argument that Nostalrius did a pretty good job of maintaining a Vanilla server. But they too struggled and it had it's problems too, and they still needed a full team of people giving up their free time just to keep this old snapshot of the game running. People boast about 800k accounts were on that vanilla realm, but how only 150k of them were even active, a very small portion in comparison. I imagine that most of those 650k inactive accounts were people who went to try the vanilla experience and realized it wasn't as good as they remembered.

This whole topic is ridiculous.
    Butts.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I could play everquest - on a legal private server in fact (project 1999), irony - but I have no real connection to that game since I never played it.
    Sure mechanics have gotten more complex,but you also have addons showing you every timer. Didn't blizzard evens tate that this was the reason they had to make those mechanics more complex?

I wasn't even talking about vanilla raids, and can't really talk about them since I have never done them while they were current. I was talking about the leveling experience. I was talking about original deadmines vs new deadmines. original zones vs new zones.
    If you think mods with timers are bad, back then, Decursive would automatically target and dispel shit from players without you having to do anything other than set a keybind for it, and cleanses had no cooldown, so when fighting, say, Lucifron, all you had to do if you were on dispel duty was spam your dispel hotkey (- in my case) until everyone was cleansed.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Deleted
    TBH, though this 'Pristine Servers' idea sounds kind of interesting and Ill probably resub to try it out, I doubt it'll make anyone happy in the long run. I guess for the very least itll give me a way to try out content I've missed without ten tons of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    It's also more challenging than vanilla WoW and has all the things you people claim to want (an old-school mmo where exploration matters and dungeons are huge, sprawling messes, and where dying matters), but all you actually want is a trip down nostalgia lane.
    If all I wanted was a trip down nostalgia lane I would just hit up a private server, I sure as heck wouldn't waste money on something I can get for free. I can tell you that I was once like you and thought it was all about nostalgia, having gone back and played it again, nope it's not, I enjoyed every minute I got with it again and disproved my own belief that it was just nostalgia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by ribald View Post
    TBH, though this 'Pristine Servers' idea sounds kind of interesting and Ill probably resub to try it out, I doubt it'll make anyone happy in the long run. I guess for the very least itll give me a way to try out content I've missed without ten tons of bullshit.
    Hell I'd be more than willing to level on a pristine realm just to experience leveling as part of the game again
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Hell I'd be more than willing to level on a pristine realm just to experience leveling as part of the game again
    It pretty much does sound like

'World of Warcraft: Levelling edition'

their idea sounds worse

If all I wanted was a trip down nostalgia lane I would just hit up a private server, I sure as heck wouldn't waste money on something I can get for free. I can tell you that I was once like you and thought it was all about nostalgia, having gone back and played it again, nope it's not, I enjoyed every minute I got with it again and disproved my own belief that it was just nostalgia.
    Where you and I differ, though, is that I have no pleasant memories of the grind and timesinks from vanilla because it became a second job, carrying new people on an almost daily basis through jailbreaks to get them keyed up to Onyxia (and also sometimes attuned to MC if they weren't already), gathering herbs non-stop on my druid (my alchemist) to have enough flasks for everyone in the raid, grinding Thorium Brotherhood rep for the smithing plans, grinding Cenarion Circle (or whichever branch of Cenarion shit it was. Pretty sure it was Circle, though) rep over in front of AQ, killing the elemental dudes and shit, trying not to miss a week of raiding so I wouldn't fall behind in rep gains from the raids, farming until my eyes bled to gather mats for the grand opening of the gates of AQ just so that the fucking server would crash and they'd be like "lol nope, you're not getting your scarab mount. Not our fault you couldn't turn it in before the servers exploded", farming chimaera meat for chimaerok chops, running MC, BWL, Onyxia, Naxx every week religiously, grinding rep with the scarlet crusade fucks over at EPL... holy fuck, it's making me want to kill myself just remembering all that shit. The only thing I have pleasant memories of are 1. the people. Holy fuck the people. God I miss those assholes. And 2. the hunter epic bow quest because I could show off how good I was at kiting. Except for that bullshit fight over at Silithus that required you to have shadow resist potions and shit or whatever.

Oh and the irony is that despite all my work, I was always broke because of how much I had to spend on repairs, mats, etc. So I didn't even have an epic mount until the price was reduced from 1000g to 500g. Now they're like, what, 40g?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Also, it's should HAVE. NOT "should of". "Should of" doesn't even make sense. If you think you should own a cat, do you say "I should of a cat" or "I should have a cat"? Do you HAVE cats, or do you OF cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Valnoressa View Post
    They've already mentioned that time dedicated to focusing on making classic servers a thing and maintaining them would mean less attention/man power on the current more important stuff. I'm pretty sure the company developing the game for the past decade has a pretty good idea of how much time and effort this would be to juggle along side the current iteration of WoW.

People make the argument that Nostalrius did a pretty good job of maintaining a Vanilla server. But they too struggled and it had it's problems too, and they still needed a full team of people giving up their free time just to keep this old snapshot of the game running. People boast about 800k accounts were on that vanilla realm, but how only 150k of them were even active, a very small portion in comparison. I imagine that most of those 650k inactive accounts were people who went to try the vanilla experience and realized it wasn't as good as they remembered.

This whole topic is ridiculous.

Why would it though, if you hire people specifically for that purpose and remove no one from the current live team how is that removing anything from the current version? I mean I get the argument if you pull 20 people off of your live team to do it, but I wouldn't really expect them to do that considering they are slow as Christmas with it now.

There is no doubt it is going to take time and effort, there are very few things in this world that don't, and I don't think anyone believes that it is as easy as flipping a switch. Yes there will be a large amount of people that come and try it out and don't like it, considering WoW has never exceeded 15 million subs and has had well over 100 million accounts created I think it's safe to say that lots of people have always tried it and not liked it at various points in time.

Would it make enough to be worth the effort for them? Heck I don't know, and I don't think they do either. I think it is less about the money and more to do with just not wanting to fool with it. I don't really blame them for that, just like I don't blame them for protecting their IP. None of that changes the fact that I would like to play a supported version of Vanilla, or really anything prior to Cata tbh.

They really didn't have to respond. Closing nostalrius was expected, and the cry out for legacy servers are just impractical.
    150k doesn't worth the fragmentation of community. And 150k is a very very generous number, I would be surprised if half of that would subscribe to an actual legacy server.
    In the other hand, their idea of pristine realms also sounds like a shallow one, anyone who doesn't want to use LFD tools, can stop using them on live. The advantages of such realms will vanish within a month.
    The soloution to this ( in my opinion) would be seasonal characters, like there is in diablo. Give players the choice to make a fresh character, in a seasonal realm. Put in some kind of reward like a mount or title for their main, and it will take care of nostalgia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Tried it. Really, WoD leveling is awful. Old world Cata leveling isn't much better. MoP leveling also sucks.

Leveling is nothing but a chore when mobs fall over and there's no sense of danger. But I played on a BC realm for a few days, and I was captivated by the leveling again as if it never went away. When there actually is a sense of challenge, even just to leveling, the game is INFINITELY more fun.
    Their idea, but also with Mob health and stats boosted could be fun.

Deleted
    Where you and I differ, though, is that I have no pleasant memories of the grind and timesinks from vanilla because it became a second job, carrying new people on an almost daily basis through jailbreaks to get them keyed up to Onyxia (and also sometimes attuned to MC if they weren't already), gathering herbs non-stop on my druid (my alchemist) to have enough flasks for everyone in the raid, grinding Thorium Brotherhood rep for the smithing plans, grinding Cenarion Circle (or whichever branch of Cenarion shit it was. Pretty sure it was Circle, though) rep over in front of AQ, killing the elemental dudes and shit, trying not to miss a week of raiding so I wouldn't fall behind in rep gains from the raids, farming until my eyes bled to gather mats for the grand opening of the gates of AQ just so that the fucking server would crash and they'd be like "lol nope, you're not getting your scarab mount. Not our fault you couldn't turn it in before the servers exploded", farming chimaera meat for chimaerok chops, running MC, BWL, Onyxia, Naxx every week religiously, grinding rep with the scarlet crusade fucks over at EPL... holy fuck, it's making me want to kill myself just remembering all that shit. The only thing I have pleasant memories of are 1. the people. Holy fuck the people. God I miss those assholes. And 2. the hunter epic bow quest because I could show off how good I was at kiting. Except for that bullshit fight over at Silithus that required you to have shadow resist potions and shit or whatever.

Oh and the irony is that despite all my work, I was always broke because of how much I had to spend on repairs, mats, etc. So I didn't even have an epic mount until the price was reduced from 1000g to 500g. Now they're like, what, 40g?
    Thats what so special about vanilla wow, people always used to say the game did not start until 60 when i first started playing, and boy where they right, the whole adventure to max level was just the begging in an epic adventure. i couldnt wait to get to 60 and join my comerades in massive dungeons and raids and and join the battle with the alliance in world pvp
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2016-04-26 at 10:47 AM.

I had the same experience.

My friends had been talking about starting on Nostalrius for many months, with me shutting them down just saying its nostalgia and saying we would be tired of it after a few days.

I was wrong. I was soo wrong. Playing vanilla again reminded me of how awesome the community feeling could be - how much more it felt like an RPG when there was danger and hard earned achievements. I feel like playing there has broken retail wow for me entirely - I just cannot see myself playing the game in its current state again. That after being subbed since release day back in 05..

Seems like he didn't understand the appeal at all.

Well they asked what do we think about pristine realms with X removal. While it is a step in the right direction. People still want vanilla, i hope they can find a way to make the servers :/, Hell make them like a seasons in diablo. They are only active once the last boss of the xpac is killed by X many guilds

Different people like different things, what you see as unpleasant I see as ok. Sure I didn't like everything about Vanilla, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing it. I think some of it too is more bearable because going back to it I wasn't in a rush or pushed to do all of that crazy stuff. I mean when you know it isn't going anywhere past Naxx, why get in a hurry? I don't know the mindset was just different going back to it. I remember playing endless hours a day back then as well, but hey I got a life to live so I just picked it up when I could now. I will say though that for the first time in years, all I could think about was getting home to play WoW again, that hasn't really happened for me since very very early Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    Thats what so special about vanilla wow, people always used to say the game did not start until 60 when i first started playing, and boy where they right, the whole adventure to max level was just the begging in an epic adventure. i couldnt wait to get to 60 and join my comerades in massive dungeons and raids and and join the battle with the alliance in world pvp
    I hated all that shit, though. ESPECIALLY the part where my server exploded during the opening of AQ and I didn't get credit for my work and permanently missed out on my scarab mount.

I think it's good that Blizzard finally responded. They said they're looking into things which is awesome. I don't like their pristine servers idea though.

The main problem for me personally is that all the content from previous expansions (other than the leveling content) is completely irrelevant, except for cosmetic purposes. I would like to see something that reintroduced the old content and made it a part of the current end game somehow.

Alot of people have mentioned progression servers, which I mean, it sounds nice, but would it work? I would say no. In the first place, doing level 60 content at level 60 is trivial right now, it's not really hard at all. Blizzard would have to actively tweak the numbers on a server like that.

I could see it though, progression servers with the current patch. They take the idea of pristine servers and build upon it. Set the level cap to 60, and with their new scaling techniques they can make the dungeons and raids a bit harder, maybe add back some of the dungeon gear, scale Naxx down to 60 also, and let players progress through the dungeons and raids as they are now. Then when a significant number (votes?) feels that they're done with vanilla, change the level cap to 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazail View Post
    They really didn't have to respond. Closing nostalrius was expected, and the cry out for legacy servers are just impractical.
    150k doesn't worth the fragmentation of community. And 150k is a very very generous number, I would be surprised if half of that would subscribe to an actual legacy server.
    In the other hand, their idea of pristine realms also sounds like a shallow one, anyone who doesn't want to use LFD tools, can stop using them on live. The advantages of such realms will vanish within a month.
    The soloution to this ( in my opinion) would be seasonal characters, like there is in diablo. Give players the choice to make a fresh character, in a seasonal realm. Put in some kind of reward like a mount or title for their main, and it will take care of nostalgia.
    The community is already fragmented into hundreds of servers, so that argument doesn't hold, IMO.

7+ Year Old Account
    What I want to see, is not a "vanilla" server, but ELEMENTS of vanilla brought into the live game. The Tarren Mill vs Southshore thing is an example. Obviously this was just a limited time thing, but the old vanilla map files are still in the game, and it would be very possible to visit some of them via scenario technology.

Great example of what could be done: Reeimplement the Battle for Undercity, as a scenario. We could still visit old Orgrimmar, visit Thrall there, and help to free Undercity. Reeimplement the part in Outland Nagrand where you go to visit Thrall and tell him about his grandmother, as a scenario. The old map files still exist, and there isn't really any reason they couldn't be used in scenarios. Let us "time travel" to vanilla WOW in a way and see some of the old stuff, in scenarios.