Thread: White Eggs WTF

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    They are more healty.
    Exactly why is that?

I'm betting the brown egg thing has to do with the amount of land mass there is or the climate. Chickens require about the same amount of space per hen, but the breeds of chicken that lay brown and blue eggs tend to be somewhat larger, so they lay a larger egg in general. If space were a problem or climate were a problem, a larger breed bird could increase your product yield(by weight). But larger birds are more expensive to feed, so the cost of the larger eggs would probably be higher. It could also be that the larger birds handle colder weather conditions better, which would result in a more stable product output throughout the year.

It could just be that the chicken farms in that area happened to get good deals on that kind of bird, so that's what you get.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Deleted
    You guys should try those:

s that a quall egg because they're awful

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Ok so often on TV (especially American shows) i'll see white shelled chicken eggs with yellow yolk.

However in 29 years I have never once encountered this. All my eggs were brown shelled with orange yolk.

Does anybody have an answer as to why our eggs look different
    Depends on the breed of hens laying them. Eggs from hens come in many colorful variations. White and brown are the most common.

The US, or rather the huge consortiums in the US, have a single breed, the one that lays the most the fastest. I also think that white eggs is a choice they prefer, because for some reason people dont like dirty-looking produce.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Exactly why is that?
    They aren't. It's complete nonsense.

Deleted
    They are more healty.
    That's untrue

I have eaten white and brown eggs in America...

10+ Year Old Account
    That's untrue
    You eat less of them since they are smaller .
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    You eat less of them since they are smaller .
    That's not.... I'm out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    We have both white and brown eggs in the US.
    Yeah...and the brown eggs are typically, erroneously, advertised as 'organic' lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Today I made breakfast with white eggs, last week I made pancakes with brown eggs.

Deleted
    The Difference Is in the Chicken. When it comes to hue of the egg, the key lies in the breed of chicken. In general, white-feathered chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs, and reddish-brown-feathered chickens with red earlobes lay brown eggs.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys should try those:

You should try these lion eggs instead:

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so often on TV (especially American shows) i'll see white shelled chicken eggs with yellow yolk.

http://www.sialis.org/images/white_chicken_egg.jpg

However in 29 years I have never once encountered this. All my eggs were brown shelled with orange yolk.

http://www.howtodothings.com/files/u10023/hatching-chicken-eggs.jpg

Does anybody have an answer as to why our eggs look different
    I heard this reply once right here on this forum. Did you know what brown or white, what you're eating is a chicken's menstruation? Now think of that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    The Difference Is in the Chicken. When it comes to hue of the egg, the key lies in the breed of chicken. In general, white-feathered chickens with white earlobes lay white eggs, and reddish-brown-feathered chickens with red earlobes lay brown eggs.

- - - Updated - - -

You should try these lion eggs instead:

- - - Updated - - -

I heard this reply once right here on this forum. Did you know what brown or white, what you're eating is a chicken's menstruation? Now think of that.
    I don't mind eating chicken periods

Deleted
    The Difference Is in the Chicken.
    Is this existentialism?

To the OP. You can buy both in the UK and pretty much always have been able to. I'd guess we have usually, in most areas favoured brown, because along with the hen's colour other small details of their husbandry changes. They may do better on slightly different feeds so if that fed is local to an area or more plentiful or not used for another purpose that type of chicken would have been predominant.

When we had the egg/salmonella scare (Edwina Curry, around 1990ish, 99.999% bullshit). Some companies went to laser/ink marking their eggs. You almost can't see it on a brown one as the red blend naturally with the shell's brown. It looks super synthetic and "unwholesome" on a white shell. That might have contributed to white becoming even less popular.

Brown egg shells are harder and better for transportation. Maybe thats why US groceries prefer them? They both taste the same. Even within the same breed, there can be slight variation in the shade of egg color. If you want to predict amount of pigment from a given hen, the place to look is her “earlobes”. A hen’s earlobes are a patch of skin on the side of the face. The redder or darker the earlobe, the darker brown the egg..
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-04-26 at 11:30 AM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

My understanding is the difference in yolk color comes from diet.

A orange yolk generally comes from a free-range chicken that eats a mixed diet of insects, greens, grains and whatever else it can forage..

A yellow yolk is usually from a caged hen who eats grain exclusively.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smashorc View Post
    Is this existentialism?
    It's chicken eugenics. The master-chicken race is above the other inferior race. It's all a allegory relating to real life social problems. This is why the difference between egg colour will create heated debates, people relate to the white-egg chickens and the brown-egg chickens and each think their chickens are the superior race meant to rule the egg world.

Very tasty when cooked with butter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    My understanding is the difference in yolk color comes from diet.

A orange yolk generally comes from a free-range chicken that eats a mixed diet of insects, greens, grains and whatever else it can forage..

A yellow yolk is usually from a caged hen who eats grain exclusively.
    This is correct. I can see (and taste) the difference when I buy eggs from local farmers that let their chickens run around. Sometimes I have to buy supermarket-grade eggs. Not as good.

- - - Updated - - -

It's chicken eugenics. The master-chicken race is above the other inferior race. It's all a allegory relating to real life social problems. This is why the difference between egg colour will create heated debates, people relate to the white-egg chickens and the brown-egg chickens and each think their chickens are the superior race meant to rule the egg world.
    I say build a wall and make the white egg chickens pay for it. Or a coop. Yeah, a coop.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    Brown egg shells are harder and better for transportation. Maybe thats why US groceries prefer them? They both taste the same. Even within the same breed, there can be slight variation in the shade of egg color. If you want to predict amount of pigment from a given hen, the place to look is her “earlobes”. A hen’s earlobes are a patch of skin on the side of the face. The redder or darker the earlobe, the darker brown the egg..
    Shell hardness has also been tested and it's entirely a matter of how old the hen is and not the colour of the egg.

when i lived in the US, I saw they marketed the brown eggs as "organic" while the white eggs were "standard." White chickens lay white eggs and red chickens lay brown eggs. They taste the same.

Now that I live in Europe they are sold interchangeably/ theres no difference in marketing at all. I think in the US it just comes down to cultural perceptions of how an egg "should" look. It's all about marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Zepla View Post
    when i lived in the US, I saw they marketed the brown eggs as "organic" while the white eggs were "standard." White chickens lay white eggs and red chickens lay brown eggs. They taste the same.

Now that I live in Europe they are sold interchangeably/ theres no difference in marketing at all. I think in the US it just comes down to cultural perceptions of how an egg "should" look. It's all about marketing
    Here at least, all the eggs that come from free range chickens are brown. I don't know if those chickens are just better free range chickens or what.