Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Could anyone in Legion visit Pandaria and look at the same spot, check the fps and then do the same on the current live servers - both with addons disabled? I would like to know if the engine in itself is now faster or slower. I know that Legion added extra details, so it needs more performance in general. I just would like to know if they managed to optimizes the engine or if the engine just added new features and is now slower in general.

About the 30 fps vs. 60 fps - to all who think there is no visible difference. Just check this yourself.

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

You see no difference? I can even tell a clear difference between 60 and 120 fps (my monitor runs at 120 Hz).

Here a comparison in WoW:

Check the edges of object when the camera turns...
    Last edited by Kryos; 2016-04-26 at 12:43 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This is pure bullshit and been proven wrong so many times.

Now is there people who don't notice it at all or only part of the time? Yep. But you can infact see the difference between fps. I myself only notice with select games and not all the time. I personally don't care if its 30fps or 60fps so with that said my computer will last me quite awhile because of this.
    I can't play games at 30fps. It looks like a slideshow. I can actually see the individual frames and it looks like everything is moving in slow motion. This is why the only current-gen console I have is a Wii U. Nintendo still targets 60fps for most of their games, unlike Sony and MS which seem to be happy with 30. I will absolutely not accept 30fps in a game. 30fps lock = no buy. I'm a member of the Framerate Police Steam curator so I can easily see if a game is locked at 30 and avoid the ones that are. In some cases if I can edit an .ini file or mod the game to uncap the framerate I will though.

The ONLY exception to this, the ONLY game I've ever seen that runs at 30fps, where I don't feel that 30fps makes the game unplayable, is South Park: The Stick of Truth. That game is an enigma and is an exception to the rule.
    Last edited by Stormspark; 2016-04-26 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    I can't play games at 30fps. It looks like a slideshow. I can actually see the individual frames and it looks like everything is moving in slow motion. This is why the only current-gen console I have is a Wii U. Nintendo still targets 60fps for most of their games, unlike Sony and MS which seem to be happy with 30. I will absolutely not accept 30fps in a game. 30fps lock = no buy. I'm a member of the Framerate Police Steam curator so I can easily see if a game is locked at 30 and avoid the ones that are. In some cases if I can edit an .ini file or mod the game to uncap the framerate I will though.

The ONLY exception to this, the ONLY game I've ever seen that runs at 30fps, where I don't feel that 30fps makes the game unplayable, is South Park: The Stick of Truth. That game is an enigma and is an exception to the rule.
    Different strokes for different fokes and thats fine.

Some people barely see a difference,Some people see it as night and day, Other people don't see it at all. But for anyone to say no one can see it thats a lie.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    What about for mac? Is there a difference in metal api between the two in same zones? Meaning is dalaran the same? Are capital cities the same?
    Metal is still a bit buggy atm, so random stuff causes severe fps drops. But, it is getting more stable with each build.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdsent View Post
    You do realize that your eyes cannot see the difference between any FPS wich is over 30 right? So you can see perfect gameplay with 31 FPS. There are other factors though that come into play here wich can cause lag, and thats server communication (Your MS) etc etc etc.
    And I have 6700K 4.0 Ghz skylake CPU with 2x Asus Strix GTX 970 in sli and I can see FPS drops some times, but I dont notice it on the gameplay, only on the FPS counter down to the right of my screen
    This comment is not situated in reality nor has any basis of it. Human eye doesn't work based on FPS and there's no virtual upper limit that has been yet reached as to where we stop distinguishing the difference. Some fighter pilots have been tested to spot differencies over at 255 frames per second.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

This is hilariously obnoxious.

Deleted
    Current Alpha works very smooth on my FX4100 and 960GTX i`m using the default setings even shadows on ultra do not cause massive fps difference (its around 20 between ultra and low) i`m most afraid from the addons who we will gona put afterwards they will be our most FPS eater

So pretentious.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelGrazza View Post
    I really hope the new Dalaran isn't laggy. I can't play without my FPS being 60.
    It depends on the number of people around you @ the time.

Certain areas in Val'sharah hammer my fps. Playing on ultra with a 970/i5 4570. I have a feeling that it's mostly down to optimisation though.

Deleted
    The fps thing is totally individual and think a bit of dick waving goes on regarding it.

"Oh yeah, well I can't even PLAY a game below 144hz because it's like being drunk! I'm basically a fighter pilot!"

Awesome. I have no doubt that when the guy says he doesn't notice fPs over 30 he's totally right, and when the guy says anything below 60 hurts his eyes that's true too. Personally I play on a 144hz monitor but I'd be lying if I said I really notice any difference after about 100fPs.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a case where they've never actually seen better. Especially if they've played consoles their entire life. Most people don't know (myself included) that even the newest consoles cap the framerate at 30 fps. As you start going over 100hz the frame differences get smaller and smaller even if the naked eye can see better. Mainly it's the blur or tearing which is reduced.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I think it's a case where they've never actually seen better. Especially if they've played consoles their entire life. Most people don't know (myself included) that even the newest consoles cap the framerate at 30 fps. As you start going over 100hz the frame differences get smaller and smaller even if the naked eye can see better. Mainly it's the blur or tearing which is reduced.
    Agree. At about 200 I cant imagine it getting better.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Legion alpha runs almost exactly the same for me as WoD - 60 FPS at 1080p, Ultra settings, 200% resolution scale. It dips here and there in the new areas, but always go back to 60... so I attribute that to unfinished expansion stuff.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    It depends on the number of people around you @ the time.
    What mods you are running will also impact this. Certain mods talk to each other using hidden channels and can create quite a bit of slowdown when there are a lot of people around. DPS meters have traditionally been one of the main culprits here.

OT, i have been running at ultra for all of the time i was playing WoD and even with the greatly increased render distance in Legion im not noticing any framerate drops. Btw, when i mean greatly increased render distance? Take the portal to Caverns of Time from Dalaran, go outside and turn north. You can clearly see the silhouette of mount Hjyal. I had flown all they way to the Valley of Trials in Durotar before i realized what it was that i was seeing on the horizon. Its actually kind is disconcerting being able to suddenly see so far.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-04-27 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdsent View Post
    You do realize that your eyes cannot see the difference between any FPS wich is over 30 right? So you can see perfect game play with 31 FPS. There are other factors though that come into play here which can cause lag, and that's server communication (Your MS) etc etc etc.
    And I have 6700K 4.0 Ghz skylake CPU with 2x Asus Strix GTX 970 in sli and I can see FPS drops some times, but I don't notice it on the game play, only on the FPS counter down to the right of my screen
    Not this bullshit comment again, this is totally false information. Please get your facts right before posting, and just a fyi human eye can see 200+fps. This study was done around 2 years ago on fighter pilots.( goggle it your self for a source, it's not hard )

I can tell the difference from 20fps all the way up to around 144fps after that i couldn't tell you as my monitor only goes up to 144fps. I could never go back to playing a console or playing any game under 75fps as i find it really choppy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    This is hilariously obnoxious.
    Its not tho, i find it hurts my eyes now when i play anything lower than 60fps, since you get use to the higher frame rate. I can tell in an instant when my fps dip down. Use a high frame rate monitor for a few years and then come back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roar-Powah View Post
    Not this bullshit comment again, this is totally false information. Please get your facts right before posting, and just a fyi human eye can see 200+fps. This study was done around 2 years ago on fighter pilots.( goggle it your self for a source, it's not hard )

I can tell the difference from 20fps all the way up to around 144fps after that i couldn't tell you as my monitor only goes up to 144fps. I could never go back to playing a console or playing any game under 75fps as i find it really choppy.

- - - Updated - - -

Its not tho, i find it hurts my eyes now when i play anything lower than 60fps, since you get use to the higher frame rate. I can tell in an instant when my fps dip down. Use a high frame rate monitor for a few years and then come back to me.
    I actually have for most of the time i've been gaming. I use my Macbook Pro at the moment whilst i'm at university, which gives me 50+ FPS anyway. Of course you can tell when you go below 60 FPS because naturally your eyes can differentiate, but becoming "ill" from playing games lower than than is fairly obnoxious and probably more mental than physical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone with comparable specs can give some FPS estimations?
    Usually run highest textures/filtering, highest spell details, highest draw/object distance, rest off.

Win 10
    GTX 660 ti 2GB
    I5-3450 3.5 GHz
    8GB RAM DDR3
    256GB SSD

I have a shitty computer, I didn't see any real issues with fps. I never had any big fps drop that preventing me from playing. I have not tested raids yet.

Homophobia is so gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    I actually have for most of the time i've been gaming. I use my Macbook Pro at the moment whilst i'm at university, which gives me 50+ FPS anyway. Of course you can tell when you go below 60 FPS because naturally your eyes can differentiate, but becoming "ill" from playing games lower than than is fairly obnoxious and probably more mental than physical.
    Looking at older monitors that only do 60 fps strains my eyes as well as consoles. Me obnoxious? lol who is the one at uni with a mac pro that can do 50+fps, get over your self.

I'm talking facts here, you know the things that they do teach you at Uni etc.. well they are meant to.