View Poll Results: Do season passes cost too much now?

Voters
26. This poll is closed
  • Price is right

3 11.54%
  • Too expensive

8 30.77%
  • Should cost more

0 0%
  • Dont care / Dont buy

15 57.69%
    Deleted

cost of season passes

gears of war 4 announced that there season pass is costing £39.99 which is how much games cost usually.. has this gone too far now or does it depend what youre getting?

personally i think its bonkers that im having to pay £80-90 for a game and get all its content for the first year (how long season passes usually last). Id actually prefer to pay a sub and stop when i dont want extra content anymore.

gears of war 4 season pass cost
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2016-04-26 at 12:43 PM.

Don't care/don't buy. I buy finished games and leave the season pass stuff to the "day one prepurchase, get hype" rubes.

Deleted
    usually depends on the game.. i bought the division gold version which came with the season pass but ive not even hit 30 yet lol so money well spent?. I think thats the only season pass ive bought in the last few years. I usually wait for the "goty" games with all the extra content and fixes like im doing with fallout 4

10+ Year Old Account
    When a season pass costs almost as much as an entire new game at launch, its generally better to hold off and just wait to see what the DLC is actually like when released.

Gears of war creator Cliff Bleszinski has been screaming since PS4's release that AAA game creators need more money and this is obviously one more attempt to cash in like gamers have infinite wallets. Yes, Game creators need money but so do I. Games are a nice recreational hobby but I need to pay my bills too. People like Cliff seem to think my money is their money.
    When the new gaming systems were revving up for release PS4 destroyed Xbox's attempts to force people to pay full price to play games that someone else owned (like if your buddy brought his new game to your house to play with you) and when that happened Cliffy B got all butt hurt.
    This is obviously just another outrageous cash grab by gears of war.

I don't have an issue with it. If I'm interested in the game long term enough to care about DLC it's usually cheaper than buying them individually. Otherwise I either play the game and forget about it, or wait until a "gold" version that comes with everything packed in at the usual price.

The base cost of games hasn't increased nearly as much as most other things. The DLC and season passes and the like make up for the gap. Game companies gotta make money too.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Don't care/don't buy. I buy finished games and leave the season pass stuff to the "day one prepurchase, get hype" rubes.
    basically this. The whole DLC thing has gone out of hands and i don't care about it anymore.

I simply wait for "ultimate all dlc HD remastered" edition at 1/4th of the price on Steam. If a game is really good, doesn't matter much when i play it (if it's not an online multiplayer) otherwise i have years of reviews to check and can skip all the crap ones that costantly pop around.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm just going to echo the sentiment that I don't buy it unless it comes bundled with the game when I buy it (GotY editions, etc.).

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Honestly? At this point? It's all on the consumer. You people continue to buy season passes and you people continue the trend and continue to make it profitable for the developer to launch half a game, with the other half staggered in a year long of DLC. And it's you people why I'll never legitimately pay for those games on their launch days with launch prices.

I guess if it were easy for stupid people to stop buying shiny things on the internet, things like the WoW store wouldn't be as profitable as it is.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Fuck the season passes. Especially those that give no proper content, but just a shitton of skin packs nobody gives a shit about. Take for example the Batman games. Not a lot of content, mainly skins and/or challenge map packs. Occasional short finish in 30 minutes campaign add-on which is only being played once and then never again.

Paid 120 Euros for BF4 if memory serves me right. I didn't really use the premium feature, I pretty much only played the stock maps. DLCs like those also divide the playerbase. Might be debatable but I still believe it's done right (Although could be better). Plenty of big maps, new gamemodes, new weapons etc. Could use some more vehicles but I have no regret spending that much money on DLC that's actually relevant to the game.

I rather wait for the GOTY edition or something rather than coughing up a near 100 Euros for a game where half the future content is going to be some skins or stupid mini-games not related to the main game. DLC content as in Skyrim/Fallout or Borderlands are great, you won't hear me complaining about those.
    Last edited by mmoce27e1d5bc4; 2016-04-26 at 02:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only way to get better products for less money, is for the masses to stop paying for it.

Sadly, this is an idealistic approach, and will never work in practice, because people are stupid and will keep paying $60 for a game, and $40 for DLC.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The price is right if the content is right. I stopped playing The Division due to all of the exploits and bugs. I regret buying the season pass for this reason.
    - Nom Nom

Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    The base cost of games hasn't increased nearly as much as most other things. The DLC and season passes and the like make up for the gap. Game companies gotta make money too.
    This is a good point, but on the flipside you have people exploiting it far beyond simple successful profit. I feel like unless the game revolves around online multiplayer you should wait until it's had time to mature past its release before bothering. Let the early adopters sink or swim before you decide to test the waters yourself. As others have pointed out, long as people keep throwing money at them, they're going to keep doing it this way.

I have some games i really enjoyed but never bothered buying the DLCs because the game was finished and i know the story is over, i just can't force myself to continue playing it knowing the ending already.
    Still, this whole Season Pass thing is a way to increase profit and cash in with the pre-order crowd that will buy anything on day one then release the complete edition at the same price, or lower, than the base game with all extra content to attract the sceptic gamers like me.
    I remember the Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announcement, the vanilla community spent a lot more buying the base game plus season pass and then came the complete edition for less money (and Dx11 support, but that's another matter): i'm not falling for that, sorry. Stick your season passes up your ass.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.