Page 25 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedetasticGames View Post
    The issue with coding it on thier side as far as I have noticed is: Battle.NET Clint and ID support was added only AFTER thier rewamp of the code and packaging of said between Cata and Mists. Making Vanilla support it would literally require re-coding vanilla or converting it in its full using converters. Either of these would take a SHITTON of testing and optimizing and a pretty big part of the dev team.
    What?

Not it wouldnt. This is literally NOT a part of the problem

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    https://twitter.com/Sodapoppintv/sta...65668228046850

Sodapopping is working on the video mark kern made, cant wait for it even though its only 4 minutes long
    I've seen enough of that whiner to be honest

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Well you are quite gullible if you don't think that was a "no" wrapped up in nice words. But sure, keep standing there hoping for that magic day.
    Like you think we depend on this server and wait at our computers for this to happen? Pretty sad if you think so. Try not to be so naive. It's something that we love, not an addiction we need.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    https://twitter.com/Sodapoppintv/sta...65668228046850

Sodapopping is working on the video mark kern made, cant wait for it even though its only 4 minutes long
    Thanks for the update, wondered when it would go live.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no doubt it would be difficult because they'd likely want to integrate it into the current client or into the battle.net launcher. I hope they consider hiring the Nostalrius guys and work something out with them.

Pristine servers seem pointless though. The removal of Group Finder and CRZ did kill the community of WoW big time, but there is no doubt that they are convenient, so I doubt many people would move to them. If they were successful though I'd play on them.

You can quite literally already play on a "pristine server" by not using those features. There is a community that exists with rules for you to do this and people have done it already:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectSixty/

And it's still not the same, it's still ridiculously easy and boring. Adding "pristine servers" will do nothing to fix this problem. People want to play the game as it used to be, not as it is now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Imouto View Post
    You can quite literally already play on a "pristine server" by not using those features. There is a community that exists with rules for you to do this and people have done it already:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectSixty/

And it's still not the same, it's still ridiculously easy and boring. Adding "pristine servers" will do nothing to fix this problem. People want to play the game as it used to be, not as it is now.
    Obviously, because you'd need mobs health/damage/aggro range changed, same goes for dungeons. Tier progression and no catch up mechanics at max level. It can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It's too hard. No sarcasm.
    I'm curious as to why this is the case. As it stands the existing servers and client work with what is still in game from Vanilla without issue, WSG, AB, MC, BWL, AQ, the starting areas, etc. It also works without problems when a player enters any zone or dungeon in Outland or Northrend I find it hard to believe that there was any sort of major modification made to these zones in order to work with newer servers rather than the new servers being compatible with the older code from Vanilla and TBC.

Why can't they use the new server and client software, which has all the security updates, battlenet integration, etc, with the old code from Vanilla?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I have no doubt it would be difficult because they'd likely want to integrate it into the current client or into the battle.net launcher. I hope they consider hiring the Nostalrius guys and work something out with them.

Pristine servers seem pointless though. The removal of Group Finder and CRZ did kill the community of WoW big time, but there is no doubt that they are convenient, so I doubt many people would move to them. If they were successful though I'd play on them.
    In the current state of the game 'pristine servers' would fall flat on thier ass cuz of the game design. If they change things so convinience has more downsides and doing things the 'hard way' has more perks in future expansions, I think they would be a pretty big success. But not currently.
    Last edited by mmoc6ef4b81bf8; 2016-04-26 at 02:45 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing since 2007. At times very high end guilds and highin progression.

Every time burnout happens, we get lulls like we have now... At some point between content patches things get stale.

I usually take 6months off per xpack.

Once I completely retired while "on top" and took 3 years off... Only to return to WOD and more or less conquer it in 3-4 months.

I'm looking at achieved from MOP and farming 6 Garrison's and Attunmens mount. 10-20 hrs a week.. Maybe.

I'm going to unsubscribe until the event patch, do that, and unsubscribe until legion.

My point is by re-birthing wow on a pure vanilla realm I would fill those periods unsub time and replay wow.

Wow had massive replay value, especially pre BOAs, LFD and with true elite mobs.

Look at the numbers of alts out there, then think back to vanilla, you had ONE toon, TBC maybe two that flew and had good raid /crafted/ PVP gear.

It would rebirth the franchise, people would play. Perhaps not 16million, but it would keep subs, bring back old ones, and extend the franchises life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I'm curious as to why this is the case. As it stands the existing servers and client work with what is still in game from Vanilla without issue, WSG, AB, MC, BWL, AQ, the starting areas, etc. It also works without problems when a player enters any zone or dungeon in Outland or Northrend I find it hard to believe that there was any sort of major modification made to these zones in order to work with newer servers rather than the new servers being compatible with the older code from Vanilla and TBC.

Why can't they use the new server and client software, which has all the security updates, battlenet integration, etc, with the old code from Vanilla?
    I think pretty much everyone does not respond to this because we know they are full of it. Either that or they are just idiots. Who deletes their game code? No one. They saved it all and in multiple forms. Not only that but even if they were so stupid as to have done this, they can go back and recreate it much easier than was done the first time. Ten volunteers did it, so can Blizz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Their "compromise" does jack shit and is irrelevant to the core of the legacy-realm proponents. It doesn't suit the problem, it's just PR stuff.
    Making a damn legacy server is as well just plain PR stuff, it would only exist to muffle the part of the community who doesn't wish the game to continue forward as they do not agree with it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Mark Kern is still hand delivering the petition to them, so they are going to be able to take a good look at it.
    If they even let that sociopath in that is.

Quote Originally Posted by flexks View Post
    Like you think we depend on this server and wait at our computers for this to happen? Pretty sad if you think so. Try not to be so naive. It's something that we love, not an addiction we need.
    The way you talk about not giving up, of course you do. And lol about talking naive when you are the one seemingly oblivious to PR-speak. Blizzard will conveniently point all future queries about private/legacy servers to Mr. Brack's response, and you'll keep believing them vague words.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    I want classic zones and classic quests with classic mechanics and talent trees, not cata zones with dumbed down xp. I like the old plaguelands etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol

I don't think a pristine realm with current expansions is what people were looking for. I doubt it would be that popular. I think they have only considered that option because it would be so much easier to implement.

Without heirlooms you practically 1shot things your level with just questing greens. I really don't see pristine servers doing anything at all. They MIGHT add like a day to the leveling process. So what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletal Sorcerer View Post
    I don't think a pristine realm with current expansions is what people were looking for. I doubt it would be that popular. I think they have only considered that option because it would be so much easier to implement.
    They haven't considered anything, the pristine servers was just an example of ideas they have thrown around to show you they did something.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    If they even let that sociopath in that is.
    You should look at what sociopath means. You think you want to use that word, but you don't.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by SwedetasticGames View Post
    The issue with coding it on thier side as far as I have noticed is: Battle.NET Clint and ID support was added only AFTER thier rewamp of the code and packaging of said between Cata and Mists. Making Vanilla support it would literally require re-coding vanilla or converting it in its full using converters. Either of these would take a SHITTON of testing and optimizing and a pretty big part of the dev team.
    Problem is that no one advocating fiercely for legacy realms is interested in hearing about, much less thinking of, the fact that official legacy realms would require a god damn metric ton of work and nowhere near as easy as they want it to be when they quote Nostalrius hosting costs. And every time you try all you get is "Your argument is invalid"-type responses anyhow.

We can only speculate of course. Internally Blizzard has obviously made assessments and judgment calls whether legacy realms is worth all the effort it'd require, and obviously they don't think it is. Sadly they don't feel like disclosing all these logistical matters and frankly, why would they, when people don't want to hear it.

Even as a bystander outside of Blizzard you can make a quite impressive list of things that'd need to be fixed, reworked, or created to make official legacy realms work up to the standard the player base would expect. Just supporting up to 6 different clients of WoW itself is a giant undertaking.

And the real kicker is that while older versions of the game can be run on an emulator, Blizzard will not and probably couldn't do so even if they wanted. And the amount of work to recreate each legacy realm to their respective time is another universe compared to just downloading a 1.12 client somewhere.

As much as I would like legacy realms, an educated guesstimate makes legacy realms very, very impractical to produce.
    But again, we're arguing with people that genuinely think Blizzard could throw a 1.12 client onto a server and just let people play on it.

Also if it's official I wouldn't want to know how much it'd fragment WoWs playerbase.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2016-04-26 at 03:01 PM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Their idea for "pristine realms" is garbage. No one wants a post-Cataclysm Azeroth.

They completely miss the point as to why playing on a Vanilla server is so appealing. That "lost nostalgia" has nothing to do with the lack of "character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder".

People want the genuine Vanilla WoW experience and journey; they want to play the game exactly as it was back then and have nothing to remind them of the current game as it exists today. Just taking current WoW, and striping it of several features is not even remotely close to a Vanilla server.

It's nice to see them communicating about this, but damn they just don't seem to get it. And even worse than that, their "pristine realm" idea misses the mark so badly, it's irritating.